No way Mario is just 24.

To be fair if we look at Partners in Time (Yes, the RPGs are canon), Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are anywhere from 2-4 years old. Baby Princess Peach is anywhere from 0-1.5 years old as she can't walk yet. At the most, this would make the Mario Bros only around 3 years older than Princess Peach.

Peach looks like she's in her 20ies, so for Mario and Luigi to only be 3 years older than her, Mario being 24 COULD work. Thus making Princess Peach only 21.

Although I've always headcanoned Mario and Luigi as 30-40. And there are statements in the games that claim he is middle aged. Still trying to dig those up.

Seeing as he comes from a species where superpowers like shadow manipulation are normal, he could be anywhere from 3 months old, to 74 light gigaparsecs old, and it would make perfect sense.

tardograd2 said:
Seeing as he comes from a species where superpowers like shadow manipulation are normal, he could be anywhere from 3 months old, to 74 light gigaparsecs old, and it would make perfect sense.
Where do you keep getting all of this shadow manipulation stuff from?

The wonders of alcohol.

I always imagined Mario's age to range from 23 to 34, the age they gave him is reasonable, although not something you'd think instantly when you see him.
He's kinda like those people who look alder than they actually are.

tardograd2 said:

Mario is human.

He's an Italian immigrant in New York City that discovered the Mushroom Kingdom via plumbing.
Italy > New York City > Mushroom Kingdom.

Why are he and Luigi in the Mushroom Kingdom as a baby in Yoshi's Island and Partners in Time? Simple.
Italy > Mushroom Kingdom > Italy > New York City > Mushroom Kingdom

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Why are he and Luigi in the Mushroom Kingdom as a baby in Yoshi's Island and Partners in Time?
because attempting to make a viable canon out of Mario games from its virtually nonexistent lore is more inane than trying to understand Zelda's timeline?

The Brooklyn and New York they're from doesn't necessarily have to be the one on Earth either.

So what you're saying is, that little mushroom village we saw at the end of Yoshi's Island is named "Brooklyn". :yoshi:

The more you think about Mario continuity, the more confusing it gets due to its nature. Mario & Luigi are from Brooklyn (New Donk?) yet grew up in the Mushroom Kingdom? Cranky is an old man, but Mario's in his 20s (I suppose you could argue Monkey years, but then DK staying the same seems off too)? If they did retcon his age, then I can't say why. I can argue in favor of the Koopalings not being Bowser's kids (or at least speculate the thought process behind it), but for Mario's age, I'd just say that maybe they feel Mario's more relatable that way or "in his prime".

There is the Japanese "Mario & Yoshi" Melee trophy though, so (depending on how much stock you put in Smash trophies) this isn't exactly a new development.

Borp said:
So what you're saying is, that little mushroom village we saw at the end of Yoshi's Island is named "Brooklyn". :yoshi:
Perhaps, there are no rules in nomenclature that say otherwise.

Back