Super Mario Run nominated for Google Play game of the year

Personally, I am happy for Nintendo because they managed to have two contenders for best mobile games (three if you count Magikarp Jump), and one of them managed to get 2017. It's like having a chocolate and banana cake in the running for the best, and the banana cake is being crowned the best even though it's not everybody's favourite. (Feel free to make fun of this analogy; I acknowledge it's not a very good one)

Kos-Mos said:
tumblr_p0h020rjQz1w6z3n8o1_1280.jpg

Welp, we have a winner crowned.
Don't feel so sad for Mario Run, it's technically not a game of 2017 anyways.

Raise your hands if you didn't recognise that this game's icon is for Fire Emblem Heroes... Nobody? I guess it's just me then.

Thank you for reading.

I have no opinion on this because I don't care for mobile games in general, and Mario Run from what I've seen is unimpressive. If it was Fire Emblem winning an award over say Mario Odyssey now that would be disappointing at least to me.

winstein said:
Raise your hands if you didn't recognise that this game's icon is for Fire Emblem Heroes... Nobody? I guess it's just me then.

*meekly raises hand*

I assumed it was, but just from reasoning that it and Mario Run were the big contenders, and that's clearly not Mario. If I saw that icon with no context I'd have no idea which anime game it is.

For the record, that's Fjorm, a new character created specifically for Heroes and the icon is actually fairly recent, it didn't get change that till the end of last month ... and the end of last month was 6 days as of now, the previous icon had the logo and thus the title, sorry about that.

memoryman3 said:
Kos-Mos said:
tumblr_p0h020rjQz1w6z3n8o1_1280.jpg

Welp, we have a winner crowned.
Don't feel so sad for Mario Run, it's technically not a game of 2017 anyways.

UGH!

Of course it has to be the waifu-bait. FE fans can be really rabid.
Are we going to go into the "I'm just gonna insult Fire Emblem and the fans for no reason" again? Last person who did that was 3d Player and he got permabanned because of that.

I see more people in IRC talk about Fire Emblem Heroes in a serious context, a positive context, or even at all compared to Super Mario Run, and that's enough of a definitive sample size for me :poshjr:

DQZL4U6VoAAKX3Z.jpg

Nintendo also took in a quite a few rewards in the western side of things, with all of these plus Magikarp Jump getting some kind of reward, Mario Run in specific won the most popular game section, but all of them were beat by a game called CATS for best game.

Back