Is Super Mario Bros. 2 a Mario game?

• No
  • Sadly, yes.
  • It is, and I wish this game was just a dream in real life, so it never exsisted.

If you can't tell yet, I hate this game.

Kirby's Helpers said:
  • No
  • Sadly, yes.
  • It is, and I wish this game was just a dream in real life, so it never exsisted.

If you can't tell yet, I hate this game.

How could you hate this game ? :???: What's wrong with it ?

Mario Party 5 and M&L Dream Team sort of confirm that the dream world is a real world you visit in your sleep.

Well it was actually a game called Doki Doki Panic, untill Super Mario Bros 2 got released. It is a copy of the game: they both have exactly the same levels and enemies. The only difference is the characters.

Toadgamer said:
Well it was actually a game called Doki Doki Panic, untill Super Mario Bros 2 got released. It is a copy of the game: they both have exactly the same levels and enemies. The only difference is the characters.

And Clawgrip (Clawglip?) not being present in the original game. It only had a white Mouser instead.

Ksiorze said:
How could you hate this game? :???: What's wrong with it?
I hate it for the same reasons that I dislike the original Super Mario Bros., the gameplay feels off. The gravity is heavy, forcing the characters to fall down as soon as they reach the top of their jump, and it's also quite slippery. As soon as you start running, it doesn't feel like there's any build up of momentum, just instant top speed.

Kirby's Helpers said:
Ksiorze said:
How could you hate this game? :???: What's wrong with it?
I hate it for the same reasons that I dislike the original Super Mario Bros., the gameplay feels off. The gravity is heavy, forcing the characters to fall down as soon as they reach the top of their jump, and it's also quite slippery. As soon as you start running, it doesn't feel like there's any build up of momentum, just instant top speed.

That's understandable, some games aren't for everyone but these aren't reasons to hate it. Hate is kind of a strong word for a game you simply dislike.

Toadgamer said:

I know and most people know that. That's why I made this thread. The run button was added too with a new boss. And the prototype of Yume Kujo: Doki Doki Panic was thinked like a sequel to Super Mario Bros.

Ksiorze said:
And the prototype of Yume Kujo: Doki Doki Panic was thinked like a sequel to Super Mario Bros.
There's a weird game of Telephone going on here. The exact quote is, "The prototype, worked up by SRD, a company that programmed many of Nintendo's early games, was intended to show how a Mario-style game might work if the players climbed up platforms vertically instead of walking horizontally, said Tanabe." It was a platformer in the vein of the Mario games, and not actually tied to the franchise in any way (until it was retooled and whatnot).

Ksiorze said:
Kirby's Helpers said:

That's understandable, some games aren't for everyone but these aren't reasons to hate it. Hate is kind of a strong word for a game you simply dislike.
To me, gameplay is one of the two most important aspects of a game, and as such it can make or break a game. So while gameplay may not be important to you and bad gameplay can make you simply dislike a game, it can make me hate a game

I accept BS mario 2 as canon

so that means I accept subcon as a dream world

it's my headcanon

Time Turner said:
Ksiorze said:
And the prototype of Yume Kujo: Doki Doki Panic was thinked like a sequel to Super Mario Bros.
There's a weird game of Telephone going on here. The exact quote is, "The prototype, worked up by SRD, a company that programmed many of Nintendo's early games, was intended to show how a Mario-style game might work if the players climbed up platforms vertically instead of walking horizontally, said Tanabe." It was a platformer in the vein of the Mario games, and not actually tied to the franchise in any way (until it was retooled and whatnot).

You're right. But It was a Mariolike game but ended up as a real one but yeah it wasn't technically one from the beginning despite being influenced by SMB.

Shy Guy Central said:
Sgt Nate V said:
I accept BS mario 2 as canon

so that means I accept subcon as a dream world

BS mario 2 is a spin-off.

Well it's not really a spin-off, it's more of a remake/sequel. Even if it was a spin-off it wouldn't make it less canon.

Kirby's Helpers said:
Ksiorze said:
Kirby's Helpers said:

To me, gameplay is one of the two most important aspects of a game, and as such it can make or break a game. So while gameplay may not be important to you and bad gameplay can make you simply dislike a game, it can make me hate a game

Gameplay is really important to me as well aand that's why I love Super Mario Bros. 2 so much. You may dislike the gameplay but it's not inherently bad.

i already knew it was a remake, it's just so different compared to other remakes like the super mario advance series, super mario 64 ds and mario kart 8 deluxe.

Shy Guy Central said:
i already knew it was a remake, it's just so different compared to other remakes like the super mario advance series, super mario 64 ds and mario kart 8 deluxe.

And that makes it even better. It's between a remake and sequel and that's so coool to me.

Ksiorze said:
Shy Guy Central said:

And that makes it even better. It's between a remake and sequel and that's so coool to me.

yeah, i toadally agree.

Ksiorze said:
Gameplay is really important to me as well aand that's why I love Super Mario Bros. 2 so much. You may dislike the gameplay but it's not inherently bad.

Could you reword your points? I’m currently taking them in as “Bad Gameplay isn’t a reason to dislike a game” and I don’t feel like we’re going to get very far with this conversation if I don’t fully understand your points.

Kirby's Helpers said:
Ksiorze said:

Could you reword your points? I’m currently taking them in as “Bad Gameplay isn’t a reason to dislike a game” and I don’t feel like we’re going to get very far with this conversation if I don’t fully understand your points.

Bad gameplay is a reason to dislike game. But SMB2's gameplay isn't bad, you dislike it.

Back