Mario Rumors

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Have you heard the news? Is it true? This topic is to post any Mario rumors, old or recent, that you recall

Back when I didn't notice Mario Kart games only came out once for console, I saw a kid make a video about Mario Kart DS 2 ... which is just Mario Kart DS 1 with a different label, he recorded it pretty late at night, hope his parents didn't get mad at him.

That reminds me there was a time where people were insisting a Thousand Year Door remake was in the works (this wasn't too long ago, sometime within the 2010s) which is one of the few I never let myself believe, my reason being, why would they remake the second game before the first one?

Also, hard to believe there was a time when this wasn't a hoax (Youtube video):

The most recent rumour I remember is the Mario + Rabbids rumour. Yes, this game is real as we know, but recall back in late 2016 when this very idea became known to the public as a rumour. It sounded ridiculous that it was a pretty well-known rumour, but I guess now that the game's revealed, those times were history. Be sure to check out the Mario + Rabbids thread for a sample on how some of us reacted to this very idea.

Basically many people doubted that the idea would take off because the Rabbids were infamous for being shallow. Then when the playable characters were revealed, it didn't sound all that impressive due to four of them being Rabbid version of the Mario cast (note that we didn't see how they look like back then). When the first image of that game was shown, it became very famous, or more of infamous due to the premise. One of the slides where Ubisoft planned to "convince gamers" was even considered a joke.

As we all know now, after this game's proper reveal, it turned out to be one of the highlights that even the director of this game cried. Now the words "convince gamers" didn't sound as ridiculous, which is a great thing.

Thank you for reading.

NikoAnesti said:
Galaxy DS video
I remember actually believing that and even e-mailing Nintendo about it, and trying to unlock it on my DS by... setting it near a Wii with Galaxy running and turning Download Play on?? Yup, I wasn't the brightest fellow. Then I felt crushingly disappointed when Nintendo responded that there is no such thing.

Then there's the days of Luigi in Mario 64 rumors... some of which I actually tried to follow the bogus tutorials for.

NikoAnesti said:
Thousand Year Door remake
Ooooook, back to the corner of shame with me :/

Here's an older rumor (From I think, 2016)

In the comments on some Mini Mario and Friends-related YouTube videos, people have claimed that there were Mini Mario Amiibo actually planned by Nintendo, but an ape :dk: stole them all while they were in production and before they were released. (Hey, I get that reference!)

If they actually officially existed, I'd have one right now.

badposter said:
And its successor, Waluigi in SM64DS.
I actually wondered if that was real when I was little, but then I've realized that Waluigi might be too tall to be playable in the game.
Or is he!?

I played Mario Golf: Toadstool and it had Baby Luigi playable. I wanted to go edit MarioWiki to tell why the hell he wasn't in yet.

Then I realized it was a dream I woke out of.

I vaguely remember there existing a playground rumour of a Bowser Pokémon card.

I remember in kindergarten (wow that's going back like ten years) that there was always rumours about Super Mario 64 DS. I remember one of them being that you could have the power to turn permenatly invisible by walking into a patch of flowers in the castle backyard(?) and walking down some steps or something.

Mind you this was the same kid who said he had an invisible DS that he didn't need to press buttons on and followed his head movements. I didn't believe him anyway but I still tried it. >_>

I remember when I was in year four there were a load of Mario Kart rumours going around. Some people were going on about a second Mario Kart Wii with Double Dash!! style gameplay, some people were going on about some Princess Clue or Princess Riddle that didn't exist who was apparently playable in Mario Kart Wii, and at some point I heard that Baby Yoshi was playable too. Someone also said that Pauline was playable at one point.

I know one of my friends said in about 2012 that there was a Mario pack in Minecraft, which eventually happened. And there was the weird incident I had where I predicted Rosalina's Ice World pretty accurately before the 3DS even came out, including a rough design and colour scheme, as well as the name perfectly, before I had even played Galaxy or seen Rosalina, I just knew her name. That was weird.

badposter said:
Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Then there's the days of Luigi in Mario 64 rumors... some of which I actually tried to follow the bogus tutorials for.
And its successor, Waluigi in SM64DS. Never forget the black box (https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:BJAODN/The_Black_Box).
I (not so) fondly remember that rumor, partially because there was a video tutorial that I watched.
That might have been the first jumpscare video I ever watched.

I don't recall any at the immediate moment, but I would just like to say that that Super Mario Galaxy DS video is really freaking impressive and congrats to whoever made it

In the early days of the internet I remember seeing some article saying there was a new level discovered in Super Mario World, on the little island in the upper left, north of Donut Plains.

latest

I don't remember exactly what they said the requirements were to unlock it (probably something really ridiculous) but I tried it with no success. When I looked back at the article, I saw it was published on April 1. So maybe not really a rumor, but a prank.

Speaking of SMW, I also remember there being a "cheat" to reverse the autumn look of the world after beating the Special world, which was to "play the special world backwards." Tried it several times thinking I was doing something wrong. Never worked obviously

I think I remember that SMW thing, apparently they said Mario could enter blocks in the top secret area like a pipe and end up with a laser power-up if I recall?

I was dumb baby in middle school and believed you could see Samus naked in Smash Bros Brawl if you inputted a code while she was doing her Final Smash.

When I was a lot younger and more gullible, I found this one cheat site that allowed user submitted cheats and stumbled across this one claiming that you could unlock :waluigi: in Super Mario 64 DS by doing something oddly specific... needless to say I wasted a lot of time on it.

the l is real 2041 stuff, waluigi in mario 64 ds, toad and sonic in melee...

the 90s and early-2000s were a gold era of the internet. no regulations, no big companies, no laws, and less ways to fact check things. it was the wild west

How about Yoshi in Super Mario Galaxy. There is an extremely hard method of unlocking him, they say. But, it is so hard, that you can basically say Yoshi is not in SMG. You can clearly see that Yoshi wasn't meet for the game as they said they added Yoshi in SMG2 due to his absence in SMG1. Though, the nature of the planet of a Yoshi head seems like a good fit for it's description (Jumping on all Goombas in a row without touching the ground after you made the jump).

DJhrEFI.png

Just bumped into this on the wiki and it might be the weirdest one I seen, it's like a super hero origin except instead of getting powers, you got a glitched level

There is a [citation needed] tag regardless so I don't trust it.

Back