What game genres hasn't the Mario series tried?

Mcmadness said:
Roll and Maria Renard said:
Yoshi's Safari was also the first game released in the Western market to refer to the princess by her Japanese name "Peach" as opposed to the usual "Princess Toadstool" name at the time. It failed to succeed because there was nothing in the game that called her Toadstool and proved to be unpopular and not that major of a game. Sonic did try to do the same with "Robotnik by having Sonic Drift 2 refer to Dr. Ivo Robotnik as Eggman for the first time in the west and it failed because it was on the Game Gear and the Game Gear only sold like 10 or so million units. It wasn't until Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure that made Peach and Eggman stick respectively. Mario 64 was a major mainstream Mario game and the N64's launch title. Sonic Adventure was a mainstream Sonic game and was the Dreamcast's launch title and it sold a lot during the Dreamcast's relatively short lifespan and was the Dreamcast's best selling title.

Pretty sure the name changes aren't why those games didn't do all that well.

Yeah, but to be fair Yoshi's Safari failed because it wasn't even that major of a game and it proved unpopular because it used the SNES's Super Scope light gun which not everyone had. People didn't got used to Peach and people were used to Toadstool at the time and they kept calling her Toadstool back then. Sonic Drift 2 failed because it was a spin-off and it was on the Sega GameGear which was a failure because it sold 10.62 million units when compared to the monstrous amount the Game Boy line did.

People were used to Robotnik and not Eggman. He went back to being called Robotnik until Sonic Adventure where it called him both Robotnik and Eggman. Same with the Princess, the princess went back to being called Toadstool until Mario 64 called her both Princess Toadstool and Peach, although Peach was used as a nickname as the manual implies. The rest of in-game calls her Princess Toadstool while Peach appears in some parts which is without the word "Princess" before it unlike in Yoshi's Safari where it was just simply "Princess Peach". That's how both Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure managed to get Peach and Eggman to stick respectively. Yoshi's Safari and Sonic Drift 2 didn't also refer to the characters as Toadstool and Robotnik respectively.

Mario's got his hand on the matching puzzle gameplay, with Yoshi (Game Freak), Yoshi's Cookie, Wario's Woods and Dr. Mario, but I would like to see an offering which is basically a competitive puzzle fighter. I am thinking along the lines of Puyo Puyo and Tetris, where trading blows is one of the aspects that made these games intense. Within Nintendo's property hut, there's already a game called Panel de Pon which is what I meant.

The Mario games that I have mentioned certainly do have a degree of harassment if a player does some combos, but I felt that it didn't quite have the same impact compared to Puyo Puyo and Tetris. For Dr. Mario it's mainly the game's speed, Yoshi's Cookie has random effects, and Yoshi (Game Freak) is not likely to be a serious puzzler to begin with since there doesn't seem to be any interaction. Wario's Woods is probably the closest to what I mean (having good impact for harassments), but the game has an end goal (clear the field) so it's not quite there.

It's probably hard to describe my feelings about this, but basically what I would like is a Mario competitive puzzler.

===========================

I would have suggested a third-person shooter, but Splatoon's popularity meant that such a possibility would be redundant. However, when Mario's got to have cartoon guns, it would seem like a natural fit to include Mario with shooting, only this time, his natural abilities like jumping comes into play.

Another genre that would likely be a semi-natural fit for Mario is a beat-em-up, with the focus on Mario's rich variety of enemies. Rather than traditionally doing melee attacks, Mario would use the special jumping techniques to deal with them, with the help of his fellow friends. I only said "semi" because I am not sure the idea of Mario resorting to just melee attacks would be a good image for him.

BBQ Turtle said:
A combined hidden object and puzzle game. One where you have scenes full of objects and have to find certain ones, and the scenes are linked by puzzles using objects you previously found.

Brings back memories of playing the PC games of that type, which while a dime a dozen, has some nice gems. A Mario twist to the hidden object game would be interesting.

Thank you for reading.

Back