Luigi 64DD's attempts at art

Yep, it looks better now! Amazing job! And yes, what Koops said, the lines are a little rustic, try making 'em smoother, now it REALLY looks good! help me please I dunno how to draw hands

Thanks, guys! I'm surprised you guys think it looks better, because I didn't think it looked so great. I think if I make it smoother like you guys said it may look good. Conveniently, I finished coloring my next drawing last night and I haven't started shading it yet, so I'll try to implement this. Stay tuned for that soon!
H5Cv6Qg.png

Hm, how about you draw the overalls (particularly around the armpit area for a lack of a better word) so they wrap around Luigi instead of being a straight line? Not hard, all right?

LeftyGreenMario said:
Hm, how about you draw the overalls (particularly around the armpit area for a lack of a better word) so they wrap around Luigi instead of being a straight line? Not hard, all right?
Sure, whenever I draw Luigi again. ;)

Snowserade said:
Luigi 64DD said:
I can't believe I'm still clicking on these from the Awards Scavenger Hunt
It's no sticker, but there may be more to it than you think...

Time for a SUPER GIGA TERRA UPDATE!
I've got 3 different drawings to show today. The first one is the one I've been "working on" since September, the drawing of the user who I've been friends with since before I joined the forum. You've all been wondering who it could be (or more likely you weren't) and now it will finally be revealed. The user is...

8FgRfyQ.png

Some of you might not know it, but YTSSM was one of the first people I made friends with on the wiki. That was before I joined the forum, when I was still new to the community. Therefore, I thought he should be the first user I drew after myself (nevermind that I technically released my BLOF drawing for Secret Santa first). I used this Yoshi artwork as the primary reference. I hope I didn't follow that reference too closely...

Concerning Koops and LED42's shading advice, I tried to do it on this drawing as seen here (look at the shading on his feet), but I was unsatisfied with the result. I decided I would do the same type of shading I did with my OC's drawing because it took much less time and was, well, easier. Because of how long this drawing took me, I've started using colored pencils for other drawings. However, I still want to do digital drawings, so what art program would you guys recommend? Trying to make digital art from a scanned paper drawing with MS Paint is way too tedious, so I'm gonna want a better program.

The second drawing is of a user who has a rather fowl opinion of me, and her birthday was yesterday. This drawing is my present to her:
eXJXBdy.jpg
Happy Birthday Lefty Green Mario! I feel a little bad for giving a present to only LGM when BLOF's birthday was yesterday too... but to be fair, I drew a picture for her for Secret Santa, so it evens out (hopefully). Oh, here's a link to that in case anyone missed it. Anyway, LGM is holding a bazooka in the picture as a reference to her username on the wiki, which is Bazooka Mario. Another detail of this picture is that if you look closely at the sky to the upper left of the cloud above LGM's head, you'll see another cameo... By the way, sorry if it looks a bit faint compared to the last drawing; my scanner doesn't pick up the color perfectly.

The third and last drawing is of the character that I'm currently themeing after, Plague Knight. It's not colored yet, though.
3eXHXPm.png

That's it for now. Next up (besides coloring Plague Knight) is probably Marie or perhaps a certain user who is one shell of a guy. I hope you guys like the new drawings, and feel free to leave feedback!

Nicey nice. If you're ever interested in improving the line art, I suggest practice drawing with your shoulder and arm, and less with the wrist. For the time being, drawing programs do offer a way to stabilize your curved lines, so look into that. As for shading, the reason shading didn't look good probably because it was flat and inconsistent; you shaded only the very far parts of the shoe when I like to think of shading more of wrapping around the shoe. If you want to practice shading, it may help to pick up a figure of Yoshi or study a 3d render of him and see how the light interacts with the shape.

WOW! Pretty good picture of my avatar. Really shows my commanding and organization aspects. Although, I think it is based to another user not on the foruma's avatar, but that is based from what the user is based on's artwork. Though, you based it on that artwork, it isn't all the way. I am talking about the two circles, one on each foot. Also, the legs near the shoes don't look like they go into the shoe like the other image.

regardless of whatever he based it on its still a great drawing

that drawing and the one of lgm was a very nice gesture from luigi 64dd and i'd like to thank him for his efforts in doing so :bowser:

YTSSM said:
WOW! Pretty good picture of my avatar. Really shows my commanding and organization aspects. Although, I think it is based to another user not on the foruma's avatar, but that is based from what the user is based on's artwork. Though, you based it on that artwork, it isn't all the way. I am talking about the two circles, one on each foot. Also, the legs near the shoes don't look like they go into the shoe like the other image.
FcZOitf.jpg

no shame in using references

if it gets you to appreciate a character's proportions and helps people to develop a more analytical approach to drawing (which is important, you have to draw what you see rather than draw what you THINK, make measurements, be familiar with foreshortening, all that jazz), more power

even then, you won't stop using references. even professionals use plenty of them because if you draw from memory without a thorough understanding of how proportions and stuff are, it'll be the same trap as "drawn what you think you're seeing".

YTSSM said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the part about another user's avatar, but I didn't want it to be too similar to the Itadaki Street artwork. I think my idea for the pose came from seeing that artwork so I used it a reference and it ended up looking pretty similar. In any case, it wasn't supposed to look exactly like that artwork except your OC instead of Yoshi.

Shota Aizawa said:
regardless of whatever he based it on its still a great drawing

that drawing and the one of lgm was a very nice gesture from luigi 64dd and i'd like to thank him for his efforts in doing so :bowser:
Thank you for your appreciation!

LeftyGreenMario said:
no shame in using references

if it gets you to appreciate a character's proportions and helps people to develop a more analytical approach to drawing (which is important, you have to draw what you see rather than draw what you THINK, make measurements, be familiar with foreshortening, all that jazz), more power

even then, you won't stop using references. even professionals use plenty of them because if you draw from memory without a thorough understanding of how proportions and stuff are, it'll be the same trap as "drawn what you think you're seeing".
Yeah, if I drew from memory, I could draw a decent Yoshi but not a great Yoshi. You'd have to be very skilled to draw something just as well from memory as with references. If you want your drawing to be higher quality, you should use references.

Hello people! The Art Contest was a thing that happened. As a result of this thing, the following thing was a thing:

575px-B_Luigi64DD_2018.jpg

Nothing like a tried-and-true Mario Wiki meme for the art contest. Be sure to check out my entry and the other entries and vote for the one you like best!

By the way, I have been drawing more recently, but I might not post much of it here for reasons. Or maybe I will, I don't know. In any case, I do have something I'm planning to post but it's not quite ready yet, so stay tuned for that soon (hopefully).

Well count me interested to see whatever you're up to showin'.

Hello my friends, I once again took way too long to finish my drawings. But take heart! The wait is over. First of all, here is one of the drawings I said I would draw last time I updated this thread (besides the Art Contest update): my drawing of Marie!

i06DLo5.png

I know a certain user may be disappointed as shell, but that user need not worry as I plan (emphasis on plan) to get their drawing done in the next two weeks. Anyway, I tried to draw this one by using my own style of drawing humans rather than just following the reference. The end result probably isn't all that different, but I thought I'd note that. I'm pretty satisfied with this drawing. I'm a little worried that something like the incident with my OC's hand is gonna happen, but hopefully my judgement is better now. Also, here's a lighter version of the drawing since scanning colored pencil drawings is still stupid annoying and I was super indecisive about which version was better. Now that I have finished this picture, I challenge Koops to draw Isabelle. Can't let me gain the upper hand in the Waifu War, after all! :evilgrin:

Next up we have the maniacal alchemist himself, Plague Knight! You've seen him here before, but now he's in full color!

af2Vs6V.png

I colored his cloak and the other blue parts by lightly coloring it with a normal pencil and then using a blue colored pencil over it. I wasn't sure if it would work at first, but I think it turned out rather well if I do say so myself.

One last note is that I finally broke down and downloaded GIMP in order to correct the colors of the scans. I have finally transcended MS Paint, huzzah! Maybe I'll even try digital drawing again now that I have an art program that it isn't really tedious to do them with. Feel free to leave feedback on these drawings, and I'll get to working on that next drawing that I have been shelling you about soon!

You want me to draw Isabelle?

Well I already drew a cybernetic version of Isabelle in the past and TPG, Roserade AND SGoW liked it (despite the fact that she didn't have any octagons). If that one looked nice, I wonder how good will the fleshy, real, 100% hug material Isabelle will be!

This waifu war is just as good as mine to win!

Though your drawings did progress since last few ones I've seen from you... you did win in the beginner category of the Art Contest after all...

Also what user is disappointed as shell?

Oh... I see what you did there, goose.

Czario said:
I colored his cloak and the other blue parts by lightly coloring it with a normal pencil and then using a blue colored pencil over it. I wasn't sure if it would work at first, but I think it turned out rather well if I do say so myself.
Layering with colored pencils is standard practice among professionals. Experiment with other colors. Start light like always and gradually build up the colors. It helps getting actual cloth reference.

So, it's been almost three weeks (not two weeks) since my last update, so I took a little longer than planned (not that that's surprising in the slightest). Regardless, my drawing of a user who is one shell of a guy is now done, but it looks like he brought company. Family, to be precise:

drus0mZ.jpg

The shelled dude himself Koops is here, along with his brothers Toadgamer and the Lil' Toad. 'Now, wait a minute', you may be thinking, 'who is the Lil' Toad?' Well, he is Koops' and Toadgamer's younger brother. I've heard him mentioned from time to time by them, so I decided to include him in this drawing, represented by a happy yellow Toad. I don't know what his OC will actually look like if he ever joins the forum, but he's free to base it on this if he wants to or completely go against it if he doesn't. In any case, he's looking rather excited with his Neon Red Joy-Con. Koops is quizzically looking at something down the street, while Toadgamer looks at it with some annoyance. What they are looking at is up to your imagination. Also, don't overlook those logos up there, as I've been doing those for most of the users I've drawn. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this drawing.

Up next: I'm not sure yet, actually. It could be Isabelle if I feel like making Koops have to draw Marie, a certain secondary waifu (not Isabelle), a user who surprisingly has more than 8 sides, or a user who has two favorite numbers which add up to 159.

His favorite character ain't Toad tho... it's Mario.

But if they're both Toads but not me... does that mean... that I'm... a... a... ADOPTED?

Moldomré said:
You draw users, eh?
Why not draw me?
Unless you don't take requests.
As the first post of this thread says, I mainly just draw the users I feel like drawing rather than taking requests. However, I wouldn't be opposed to drawing you (in fact, the thought crossed my mind before you posted this). Still, I have several other drawings in my mind that are frankly higher priority at the moment. If/when I draw you, I might add some things so that you are represented by more than just a generic pink Yoshi. In fact, if you want to add anything to your character to make it more unique, feel free to do so.

Lucario said:
His favorite character ain't Toad tho... it's Mario.

But if they're both Toads but not me... does that mean... that I'm... a... a... ADOPTED?
Well, we'll see what he truly becomes if he ever joins the forum.

It doesn't necessarily mean you're adopted. Maybe your mother was a Toad and your father was a human! ...Then again, I'm not sure if it works that way in this universe...

Also I like how there's a red joycon in his hand.

Useless but cool details are cool.

Back