Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Good Movie

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Kyoko Sakura

Celestial Guide
I voted that it's a good movie but a terrible Mario movie but I included other in case of things like "Other because of how shitty the production team was to the actors and how much Bob Hoskins (RIP) hated it." As I've said before, I just thought it was a fine movie but as far as Mario goes... nope.

And Dennis Hopper's performance was absolutely brilliant. This guy was able to turn shit into gold. RIP.

Re: This Thread Again

taken at face value, it's a shitty movie, but i absolutely admire the production values and the creativity and it's so unintentionally hilarious that i find it hard to say it's a bad movie

Super Mario Bros has a lot of little bits and pieces that work on their own haphazardly mixed together by a pair of toxic directors and a cast of recognizable faces that did not want to be there. The end result is something terrible, but in a very fun and interesting way, almost like The Room.

The only true negative impact this movie had is how cautious Nintendo became about branching out their image aside from a few short lived cartoon shows (and one not so short lived one).

I really hate this movie's guts, so seeing Rifftrax riff this movie apart is very cathartic.

I'm still puzzled by Miyamoto's statement about it

"The one thing that I still have some regrets about is that the movie may have tried to get a little too close to what the Mario Bros. video games were. And in that sense, it became a movie that was about a video game, rather than being an entertaining movie in and of itself.

I feel like that was him just being nice in his weird way.

As for the quality of the film, even when taken as it's own thing it's still rubbish, full of plotholes and story twists that make no sense or feel completely out of nowhere without foreshadowing.

Though it's still entertaining in a stupid kind of way.

What I take away from Miyamoto's quote is that he thought the directors' creative vision was bogged down by the producers wanting a more faithful adaptation. He might have been implying that he preferred the original pitch from directors Morton & Jankel, which was apparently a political satire with a noticeably darker and more mature tone.

God, I still need to watch it... I've been meaning to watch it with some friends of mine for quite some time.
One of these friends already watched it and she told me it's awful though lol

Back