30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 30: Your favorite game of all time

Re: 30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 9: Saddest game scene

Probably Fate/Extella, even though I think the writing in the first two story arcs is some pandering trash for people who played Fate/Extra, the third arc was actually pretty well done. The ending was really sad though;
Altera ultimately has to kill her true body that has been infected in an attempt to save their timeline. This fails, while it gives their timeline a few more minutes to exist, it's still set on a course to be erased. In the end, she finally expresses her desire to exist and her regret that she had to finally 'awaken from this dream' where she could continue living happily with the MC. She asks the MC to never forget her so she can continue to exist in his/her memories and then dies.

It does have a somewhat hopeful ending afterwards with the MC gaining the completed Regalia and sending his memories to a seperate timeline in the hopes that the him from a different timeline can achieve a happy ending for her. Surprise, it's successful. Surprise, the writing is still pretty bad in the last arc. Surprise, Sunrise.

I haven't played that many sad games surprisingly. So based upon what I know, the ending of Sun and Moon

I'm pretty partial to the banjo kazooie soundtrack
that and the smrpg one

Mienshao said:
Admittedly I don't play many super deep story rich games but

Emmeryn's sacrifice was really well done. She kills herself so Chrom doesn't have to make a decision between country and family. The following chapter is great because it's a battle in the rain with this song playing. All while the enemy soldiers lose their will to fight after witnessing what happened. The enemy commander is only fighting because King Gangrel would kill his family to set an example. Upon defeat he asks you to spare his men.

As far as I'm concerned, that postgame paralogue never happens. It cheapens the whole thing.

This is my answer, too. The chapter setting afterward was very well done and invoked the proper feelings.
Not too mad about the post-game chapter, though. Emmeryn's a pretty strong unit in my game. And getting stronger.

what, no, i'm not late to the best soundtrack

picking a best video game soundtrack is dumb because there are so many, so i'll just talk about my favorite, the thousand year door. the mario series has always been fantastic about sound design, which has been essential to its success, i think. the sound of a coin feels inherently satisfying, a jump sounds bouncy, it just feels good to play. and i think the thousand year door has a really, really great emphasis on sound design. the thwomp of a hammer feels heavy, level ups feel gratifying. even the startup screen makes it sound like you're going to be playing a grand adventure, as a grand, sweeping orchestra greets you before transitioning into the fun, bouncy music you'd associate with mario. x-nauts sound alien, the boggly woods sound beautiful and serene. it's truly magical

Saddest game scene would probably be the Lumas sacrifice after Bowser's galaxy collapses into a supermassive black hole in Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm actually fresh off it... Just reached a really pivotal point in Persona 4 that broke my heart.

Nanako "dies".

Re: 30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 10: Best gameplay

Day 10: Best gameplay

This one's a bit tough because I can't think of too many games that vary in very distinct gameplay. There's the fair share of gameplay that comes in RPGs like Fire Emblem and Pokemon, the platformers in Mario games, racing games, sports games, whatever. It's pretty tough, but the Ace Attorney series and the Metroid series take the cake here, I think. Other than the obvious AA choice, I just love how the Metroid games play, both 2D and 3D. They just work so, SO well. The Portal games are right up there for me too.

Overall, Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations is the best gameplay-wise in the AA series (so far, anyway, I haven't played all of them yet). The Metroid choice is pretty tough, because Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission are all in contention for 2D, but I think Prime 2 is the best in terms of gameplay for the 3D Metroid games.

I haven't really experienced any particularly sad scenes.

Out of the games I've played, Splatoon comes to mind with gameplay. The controls are precise and tight, the movement is really fluid and everything about playing it is so satisfyingly fun.

Splatoon/Splatoon 2

innovative shooter with super addictive matches and gameplay, not to mention the ability to stay fresh with customisable gear and a huge variety of weapons

so damn fun

There are plenty of games I like with unique gameplay, but best gameplay? Shovel Knight. Hands down. It's the only game I'd consider perfect on a gameplay standpoint.

final fantasy vii has a really fun system with tons of customization

phoenix wright is unique in its own right

I should give it more thought, but those are the two that come to mind first

Reposting my day 10 so it appears after Godot's post lol
Best gameplay is so broad, I mean, there are different types of games with amazing gameplay in their own right... Gonna pick Super Mario 64 though, since it's one of those games and I feel it laid the foundations to 3D gaming, so many other games with amazing gameplay wouldn't exist if it weren't for Mario 64, I think

My vote goes to DK64. The only minor issue is the camera, but this game wasn't the only one with that problem. Mario Kart 8, Shrek SuperSlam and Smash Wii U also have some of the best multiplayer gameplay I've ever played.

For lazy people, Smash Hit. You tap your screen. That's it.

For everyone else, Star Road. It's Mario 64 pretty much, but a tiny bit better.

saddest game scene:

Cid's Death and Celes' (attempted) suicide
is the only one that comes to mind, really.

best gameplay:

Gotta have to say Worms, more specifically Worms Armageddon because that's the version I grew up with. Definitely the best game purely rated by gameplay imo.

Best gameplay? Lol.

I think I'd give Super Smash Bros. for Wii U that.

(I haven't answered saddest scenes but I guess I might have to give that to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team)

It's really hard to compare best gameplays. Like I could maybe decide best gameplay in a genre, but when comparing other genres it's hard to decide which is better. So I don't really have an answer for this.

Re: 30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 11: Gaming system of choice

LET'S DO THIS

Day 11: Gaming system of choice

My go-to system is probably the 3DS. It has a surprisingly really good library of games, and being able to play DS games, having the Virtual Console handy, and all the vast amount of indie games available on the eShop, just cements it as a fantastic system overall. Being able to play the Ace Attorney trilogy, Shovel Knight, VVVVVV, Pokemon, Mario, all on the go, among others... and they're all genuinely really great games.

If I'm playing a home console, then my go-to is probably the GameCube, or at least anything in its library. Such a vastly underrated system with maybe the best library of games for any Nintendo console. Probably my favorite video game system, with the 3DS right behind it.

Re: 30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 11: Gaming system of choice

I play my 3DS and Wii U a lot, but my go-to systems are probably the 3DS (handheld) and GameCube (console) as well. A lot of good games on there.

...At least until I get Breath of the Wild for my birthday :P

Back