Changing the wiki's logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poll goes all batshit insane when I log in. The Mushroom Logo suddenly leaps to to right, probably because when I log in, the space reserved for ads disappears.

LeftyGreenMario said:
The poll goes all batshit insane when I log in. The Mushroom Logo suddenly leaps to to right, probably because when I log in, the space reserved for ads disappears.
Looks fine to me either way.

I think that's a strategy to guide our eyes to the fascinating Did You Knows.

Mushroom safely distanced itself from the army of hungry face-palming Marios on the left.

fix

To be honest, if I was a mushroom, I'd be fleeing from an army of Marios too.

That's actually my CSS, not LeftyGreenMario's.

I voted for the old one.

I will be honest , as usual.

It's kinda funny that one proposal was kinda like a ''Club Nintendo ripoff'' , but then again the new one is a very bad constructed vector of a Mushroom with the usual ugly and generic Mario Bros font just thrown above in.

I'd rather see Mario himself in the main page like before , than that ... and even so , i don't really consider the old one a ''logo'' because it was just a Mario render above blurred backgrounds.

Still , i prefer that honestly.

Swiftie_Luma said:
then again the new one is a very bad constructed vector of a Mushroom with the usual ugly and generic Mario Bros font just thrown above in.
I'm not going to pretend I know much about vectors, so could you please explain why the logo is badly constructed? About the font, ehh, sure. It's a lot better than some other Mario fonts out there (looking at you), but I can see why you'd think it's ugly.

Also it's probably worth noting that the old logo is getting more votes than the new one in the poll, being 29 higher as of now.

I wouldn't count on the average voter to be people educated on design regardless.

As someone who decided to have Graphic design as a carreer (me , and im actually 2 weeks from finals so i can graduate)

i felt that it was right to have a little more critic opinion.

Im gonna point out the flaws that i saw

If42yWX.jpg

All marked in green.

i marked the left side because it does not match the other , not because is badly constructed.

And of course the obvious darker red layer under the lighter one , looks super bad.

However , i noticed this was changed because this is not the mushroom used in the version that is now part of the main page.

I took the one posted on this topic.

I would make a more detailed explanation later because i need to go now.

Btw , me mentioning that i actually have graphic design as my carreer was just a fun fact , im not trying to make it sound like im a ''know it all''.

Just to clarify.

Baby Luigi said:
I wouldn't count on the average voter to be people educated on design regardless.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you think about it, these "average voters" are the ones who visit the wiki, i.e. the very demographic the logo is supposed to appeal to.

It is extremely counter-productive to talk down to your target audience and call them uneducated.

We should probably allocate some time so people can adjust to this new logo. Familiarity breeds fondness. Then, we can later ask.

(sorry, I didn't want to just modify my post in case someone was typing a response out and missed this)

I did notice an issue in that there would be this large empty space below the sidebar. That would need to be addressed. The png I removed doesn't look too out of place there, but it just looks odd at the top behind the logo. I don't know if we could just keep the headbg below the logo or if that would look good (not that fluent in HTML yet, so I wasn't able to see myself).

I usually only get that empty space when I'm not logged in. I always assumed there was an ad there or something.

no, the screenshot is supposed to be of the page background. i had to log out to take it because i have a skin that changes the page background

2257 said:
is this what you mean
yeah that's the look I was thinking about

looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing than having the current bg behind the logo or having it disappear completely.

my subjective opinion about this is that i like the new logo but i love the old one (and i hate the old old one)

Alex95 said:
I propose this logo

Super_Mario_Wiki_Logo.png
I dislike this one. I disliked it then, and I dislike it today. I don't like the colors and how it rips off Wikipedia and how it looks like Mario's head is falling apart.

Mr. Edo said:
I usually only get that empty space when I'm not logged in. I always assumed there was an ad there or something.
You're not the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back