Need Staff for Wiki (ABANDONED PROJECT)

Lemon

funny
I have a new Wiki, and I need some staff. I also need help running the website, since I do not really know how to make a professional page. I also need help on how to add staff...

EDIT: Well, *bleep*, I forgot the link. Here it is http://impact-looper.wikia.com/wiki/Impact_Looper_Wiki

Re: Need Staff for Wiki

It would help to provide a link to the wiki. Also, are you using wikia? They probably have help pages on stuff like whatever you're asking.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea if the first thing you need in a wiki is staff, especially if the wiki isn't big enough yet to have use of a staff. You need to actually build it up and stuff first, then see if you need extra helping hand if it gets really popular.

If you don't know how to make a professional page, then I don't think you should be running around and allocating time for a wiki.

^Also, this too. If you want to run a wiki, you should already know how to make professional pages from the getgo.

Just some advice on this, if you want to run your own wiki you gotta be committed. I made the mistake of creating one a while back because I just wanted one to associate with my forum. It's now probably dead, vandalized, whatever because I and the like, two people I got to help with it weren't enough to keep it running and the novelty of having it wore off so it died. If you think you can do it, then good luck.

Also what the posters above me said.

Fresh Bowser said:
Just some advice on this, if you want to run your own wiki you gotta be committed. I made the mistake of creating one a while back because I just wanted one to associate with my forum. It's now probably dead, vandalized, whatever because I and the like, two people I got to help with it weren't enough to keep it running and the novelty of having it wore off so it died. If you think you can do it, then good luck.

Also what the posters above me said.

I will make sure to be committed, and I want this to be a big wiki. I need all the help I can get. To help me improve this wiki, provide me with links on how to customize the wiki to make it look better, and I will even be accepting staff. It may be stupid that I am trying to get staff, but just know I think that will improve it. Who knows, it may be very successful. Here is the link. http://impact-looper.wikia.com/wiki/Impact_Looper_Wiki

I've looked into it and I have no idea what the hell is it even about.

Baby Luigi said:
I've looked into it and I have no idea what the hell is it even about.

Read the frickity dang description.

Yes I had and I'm still not entirely sure what it's really about.

This Wiki is about me and the staff. We make Wikis about ourselves, and stuff we enjoy. And we hope you enjoy it!

Gathering from what I understand I don't see why you need a wiki if all you want to do write about yourselves.

You don't need to customize it or allocate staff. Your focus should be on delivering good content and giving people a reason to improve on it. Then once you got a substantial editor base, then you can manage a staff.

However, let's be frank, I don't think you have the responsibility and maturity to manage a wiki you promise will be "big".

Anyway, I've seen your wiki. I don't think it'll be big nor will it take off, especially if it's "about me and the staff." Sounds a terrible lot like how dozens of people make derpboards (and derpboards have a predictable pattern) only for the board to eventually die since it serves very little purpose, isn't active outside of general discussion, looks generic and/or ugly, and it serves to temporarily boost the owner's ego since they have a sense of power and importance. And the path to derpboard death usually isn't pretty.

LeftyGreenMario said:
You don't need to customize it or allocate staff. Your focus should be on delivering good content and giving people a reason to improve on it. Then once you got a substantial editor base, then you can manage a staff.

However, let's be frank, I don't think you have the responsibility and maturity to manage a wiki you promise will be "big".

Anyway, I've seen your wiki. I don't think it'll be big nor will it take off, especially if it's "about me and the staff." Sounds a terrible lot like how dozens of people make derpboards (and derpboards have a predictable pattern) only for the board to eventually die since it serves very little purpose, isn't active outside of general discussion, looks generic and/or ugly, and it serves to temporarily boost the owner's ego since they have a sense of power and importance. And the path to derpboard death usually isn't pretty.

You are right, I do need to get a new idea for the wiki. For now on, I should probably make the wiki about 1 subject. I would have an idea, but it is 10:50 PM, so I will think of something tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

It helps to have a focus. If you're planning to write just about anything, the wiki will simply become a mess.

Dang. And here I thought the title was about the Super Mario Wiki... Why you do that, man?

As someone who also runs a wikia and is hurting for more users, I'll give you some advice.

The pages need to be well thought out and presentable. Grammar mistakes aren't too big of an issue as those are easily corrected upon being noticed, but try to avoid them as much as possible. Create some templates, learn the wiki syntax, upload pictures, etc. It may be difficult to get your wiki running from the get-go, but it becomes easier over time. It becomes even easier if you have some inspiration for how it's run (like, say, the Super Mario Wiki). Above all, be creative. This is your wiki, so you can basically do what you want, provided it's within the Wikia's Terms of Use.

Once the wiki and the subject of such becomes popular enough, users will start editing. You can't ask someone to start editing as I've learned, it's like saying "Hey, hold this rock and run." No one's going to know why or where they're going with it.

Focus on your subject, learn how a wiki works, and have fun. That's really all there is too it.

I am going to abandon this wiki, and make a new one. It will be a Game Review Wiki. It is probably a stupid idea, but it is probably not taken, either. Well, better get started when I feel like it.

if you don't have the interest in keeping a wiki beyond like, a day, i recommend not making another one you're likely to just abandon

Magnolia Arch said:
if you don't have the interest in keeping a wiki beyond like, a day, i recommend not making another one you're likely to just abandon

Yeah, thanks to everyone, I just lost interest. Thanks a lot, warm fricks.

you might want to chill on insults like that

also from personal experience, it's never a good idea to promote every tom dick and harry that volunteers for an admin position at a wiki

choose people who do good work, and those you can trust

and even then those you can trust can betray you, so choose wisely

Baby Luigi said:
Gathering from what I understand I don't see why you need a wiki if all you want to do write about yourselves.

to be fair wasn't that userpedia in a nutshell

It happened because MarioWiki got popular enough to allocate all of the personal user-related stuff (which averted the focus of Mario Wiki and why we issue those user reminder templates and have a policy on userpages) to another place. Arguably, it had more of a reason to exist than whatever OmegaVenomous is doing, who needs to establish it in the first place to have an active community.

And even so, Userpedia is apparently dead right now, so even a more successful endeavor isn't guaranteed to last.

Yes, pretty much that. It arose out of necessity to provide a place for people to post their non-wiki related stuff instead of cluttering up the wiki with it. It was not created from the basic idea of one person being like: "Hey, let's all just talk about each other for no reason".

And Userpedia is only as dead as an archive can be dead. It is doing its job by existing.

Back