Super Paper Mario

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
I think Super Paper Mario is an excellent game. It had just about all the qualities that makes a game great in the first place- the graphics, sound/music, storyline, and most importantly, the gameplay. I thought it was pretty neat how they combined the gameplay of the classic NES (and SNES) games with RPG elements from the previous Paper Mario titles. Upon browsing through numerous comments regarding the game on Youtube (as well as the "Top 5 Wii Games" topic), I've noticed that quite a few people seem to hate it. I, on the other hand, don't understand the hate for it at all. I hear numerous complaints about it, where people say that it sucks, simply because of the fact that it wasn't entirely an RPG like the other two. Seriously, WTF? If you ask me, I'd say that's a VERY stupid reason to hate the game. Quite frankly, I don't see how it's even possible to be a Mario fan (whether it's of the platformers, RPGs, or both), and hate this game. I have yet to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why Super Paper Mario sucks. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I guess.

SolarBlaze said:
I think Super Paper Mario is an excellent game. It had just about all the qualities that makes a game great in the first place- the graphics, sound/music, storyline, and most importantly, the gameplay. I thought it was pretty neat how they combined the gameplay of the classic NES (and SNES) games with RPG elements from the previous Paper Mario titles. Upon browsing through numerous comments regarding the game on Youtube (as well as the "Top 5 Wii Games" topic), I've noticed that quite a few people seem to hate it. I, on the other hand, don't understand the hate for it at all. I hear numerous complaints about it, where people say that it sucks, simply because of the fact that it wasn't entirely an RPG like the other two. Seriously, WTF? If you ask me, I'd say that's a VERY stupid reason to hate the game. Quite frankly, I don't see how it's even possible to be a Mario and fan (whether it's of the platformers, RPGs, or both), and hate this game. I have yet to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why Super Paper Mario sucks. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I guess.
I like PM2 better.

Clay Mario said:
SolarBlaze said:
I think Super Paper Mario is an excellent game. It had just about all the qualities that makes a game great in the first place- the graphics, sound/music, storyline, and most importantly, the gameplay. I thought it was pretty neat how they combined the gameplay of the classic NES (and SNES) games with RPG elements from the previous Paper Mario titles. Upon browsing through numerous comments regarding the game on Youtube (as well as the "Top 5 Wii Games" topic), I've noticed that quite a few people seem to hate it. I, on the other hand, don't understand the hate for it at all. I hear numerous complaints about it, where people say that it sucks, simply because of the fact that it wasn't entirely an RPG like the other two. Seriously, WTF? If you ask me, I'd say that's a VERY stupid reason to hate the game. Quite frankly, I don't see how it's even possible to be a Mario and fan (whether it's of the platformers, RPGs, or both), and hate this game. I have yet to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why Super Paper Mario sucks. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I guess.
I like PM2 better.
I agree with CM

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was FTW ( I like the story and my favorite chapters are 8 and 3)

IceKirby said:
Clay Mario said:
SolarBlaze said:
I like PM2 better.
I agree with CM

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was FTW ( I like the story and my favorite chapters are 8 and 3)
PM2 was actually one of my fav games of all time. :lakitu:

SolarBlaze said:
I think Super Paper Mario is an excellent game. It had just about all the qualities that makes a game great in the first place- the graphics, sound/music, storyline, and most importantly, the gameplay. I thought it was pretty neat how they combined the gameplay of the classic NES (and SNES) games with RPG elements from the previous Paper Mario titles. Upon browsing through numerous comments regarding the game on Youtube (as well as the "Top 5 Wii Games" topic), I've noticed that quite a few people seem to hate it. I, on the other hand, don't understand the hate for it at all. I hear numerous complaints about it, where people say that it sucks, simply because of the fact that it wasn't entirely an RPG like the other two. Seriously, WTF? If you ask me, I'd say that's a VERY stupid reason to hate the game. Quite frankly, I don't see how it's even possible to be a Mario fan (whether it's of the platformers, RPGs, or both), and hate this game. I have yet to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why Super Paper Mario sucks. But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I guess.
At least Uniju/Free Loader's banned, but SG (Smartarse.) hates that game too...

Well, he complains a bit less, though...

Me? Never played it.

I'll go waste my money on MKW.

I loved the gameplay; it was worth the purchase. But I wish the ending layout would be almost like the original Paper Mario in a way. :(

Lario said:

Well, he complains a bit less, though...
Hey, don't cut me out of the fun.

Alright, time to break this down:
SolarBlaze said:
1) I think Super Paper Mario is an excellent game. It had just about all the qualities that makes a game great in the first place- the graphics, sound/music, storyline, and most importantly, the gameplay.

2) I thought it was pretty neat how they combined the gameplay of the classic NES (and SNES) games with RPG elements from the previous Paper Mario titles.

3) Upon browsing through numerous comments regarding the game on Youtube (as well as the "Top 5 Wii Games" topic), I've noticed that quite a few people seem to hate it. I, on the other hand, don't understand the hate for it at all.

4) I hear numerous complaints about it, where people say that it sucks, simply because of the fact that it wasn't entirely an RPG like the other two. Seriously, WTF? If you ask me, I'd say that's a VERY stupid reason to hate the game.

5) Quite frankly, I don't see how it's even possible to be a Mario fan (whether it's of the platformers, RPGs, or both), and hate this game.

6)I have yet to see anyone come up with a solid argument as to why Super Paper Mario sucks.

7) But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I guess.
1) Everything mentioned was fine, except the story. Not only was it a pitiful attempt at epicness and totally unfitting of a Mario game, it had the whole stupid "omg teh powerz of LUV and FRENDSHIP will alwaiz winn".

2) Omg you can get more health, it's an RPG!

3) Well, I guess that's what this post is explaining.

4) PM is an RPG series. If you want to make a platformer, don't stamp Paper Mario on it just for more sales.

5) I do.

6) This seems like a nice place for other miscellaneous complaints. No replay value. And don't you dare mention the Pit of 100 Trials, that's not replay value, that's just extra tasks to keep you playing.

7) No you're not.

Thank you and good night.

Oh yeah, TTYD was also overhyped.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you responded to number seven, you're saying that people AREN'T entitled to an opinion?

SolarBlaze said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you responded to number seven, you're saying that people AREN'T entitled to an opinion?
That is correct good sir.

No offense, but that's got to be one of the most idiotic statements I've heard on this forum so far.

SolarBlaze said:
No offense, but that's got to be one of the most idiotic statements I've heard on this forum so far.
Then you don't know me very well good sir.

Smartass27 said:
SolarBlaze said:
Then you don't know me very well good sir.
Yup, that's right.

Also, for #4, maybe Paper Mario was stamping "Platformer" on their series just for more sales, eh?

Jackie Chan said:
Also, for #4, maybe Paper Mario was stamping "Platformer" on their series just for more sales, eh?
Interesting theory Garlic...

But Paper Mario would never need that, it's a quite prestigious RPG series.

I like SPM. It was alright. I like the begining and the ending. But only if the game was a little longer.

SolarBlaze said:
I've seen way worse. But yeah, it is idiotic.

As for SPM: The game wasn't half bad. I liked the story, the graphics, and the sound. Those were all great. They brought back some of the good feel from TTYD. I feel the game was lacking some effort, though.

While Tippi and Bleck had a great history section, and were very well developed characters, I feel that Dimentio could have used a lot more detail. He needed more of a backstory, and the game should have shown some more of the menace you can tell he had.

The battle system was really weird. I'm a huge fan of platformers and RPGs, but combining them into one...just doesn't really work too well. It's like trying to fit a circle into a square hole.

I'd also like to note that it was a major pill to level up. Going of off a score, rather than star points was a bit of a drag.

The items were a bit on the pricey side too, considering you don't make much money.

The fact that you have to spend 999 of those hard-earned coins in order to replace Tippi after the game is done is really...robbery, for lack of a better term.

The Pit of 100 Trials kicked ass. No two ways about it. Shadoo and Wracktail were absurdly easy, but having to go through 300 levels to officially beat it was amazing. It's also a good way to piss your mom off when she wants to watch M*A*S*H, but are already halfway through the pit and refuse to quit.

Overall, I give the game a 7.2. It's good, it's worth buying, the replayability is somewhat high, but it's nowhere near as good as TTYD.

The best part about SPM was the puzzles

Free Loader said:
I didn't bother reading anything here, so don't bother complaining if someone already said all this...

1. The story is horrible. OK, so Bowser kidnaps Peach(duh) and they're going to get married, but than this evil guy pops up from another dimension to randomly ruin some crap, and now he wants to destroy ALL OF SPACE-TIME. ...Yeah, he just wants to destroy everything. Ever. How original. I don't really remember some parts of the story, but if I remember correctly he's doing this because he's angry at his in-laws for being total assholes or something. Or angry at his to-be in-laws for not being his in-laws or something or whatever. But whatever he hires a bunch of guys, and than a while later he obviously turns nice with the power of the love of his lover who just happened to travel with the protagonist(or "Chosen One" to be more typical), but than... A "twist"! One of his minions wants to destroy the universe too! But they kill him, and than ex-evil guy and his wife go to live happily ever after in Disney magical happy dimension.

2. The gameplay was all the bad parts of platformers and RPGs put together. Sure, there's some platforming, but it's pulled down by horrible character gimmicks and controls obviously made more for walking up to someone and talking to them than for jumping. And than you get all the annoying talking of RPGs. I'm pretty sure if Nintendo was aiming to make a good game, they could have EASILY compressed most every rant to about a 20th of it's original size. I guess Nintendo didn't realize that the BETTER part of Paper Mario was the fighting, not the TALKING.

3. The characters are all made out of squares.
You can not convince me that the character designers weren't just especially lazy.

If there are any points I missed, I've probably made them before.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Good to have you back. :)

The story is horrible. OK, so Bowser kidnaps Peach(duh) and they're going to get married
Wrong. Count Bleck was the one who kidnapped Peach, not Bowser (even though Mario and Luigi assumed it was him). Count Bleck was the one who forced the two of them into marriage, so that he could create the Chaos Heart to destroy the world.

but than this evil guy pops up from another dimension to randomly ruin some crap, and now he wants to destroy ALL OF SPACE-TIME. ...Yeah, he just wants to destroy everything. Ever. How original.
Uhh, so? That's certainly a lot better than the usual plot of the Mario series, which mostly involves the princess getting kidnapped. Also, isn't that pretty much what ALL main villains do? They either want to rule the world, or destroy it (or both, in Dimentio's case).

Oo, oo, don't forget how all the universes problems were solved by the power of loooove.

I love the game play! It's fun turning 3D and looking for secrets! The only bad part is the part when you have to get all the Rupees.

Free Loader said:
All BAD main villains.
Last time I checked, that's exactly what Count Bleck and Dimentio were. Well, mainly Dimentio. But still, you've got to give them credit for actually providing a backstory for Count Bleck, which no one's bothered to do for other RPG villains, such as Grodus, Cackletta, Smithy, etc. Unlike them, they actually gave a reason for what he was doing, and what his true motive was for doing so.

Lorenz said:
Smartass27 said:
Oo, oo, don't forget how all the universes problems were solved by the power of loooove.

Actually, they were solved by making Dimentio go "boom-boom".
No, remember, everything was too late to be stopped even after that, so Tippi married Bleck. Well, there go two problems, but it still doesn't explain the universe still existing.

Smartass27 said:
Lorenz said:
Smartass27 said:

Actually, they were solved by making Dimentio go "boom-boom".
No, remember, everything was too late to be stopped even after that, so Tippi married Bleck. Well, there go two problems, but it still doesn't explain the universe still existing.

THE POWER OF LURVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~

Back