Newer Super Mario Bros. U (NSMBU hack)

Baby Luigi Rescuing Mario

*insert Shakira music here*










And yes, I'm a member (as well as my twin, LeftyGreenMario) of the team, for quite some time before its official announcement (like months) as one of the 3D modelers so I've known about this for a while. The stage of this hack is still in very early beta, so there's not much I can say about our progress right now.

The level editor being used for this is called "Satoru", it's a branch of Reggie NSMBU.

You can ask questions I guess, but don't be surprised if I can't answer any of them (especially WHEN WILL THIS HACK BE RELEASED!!!) :p

I'll post official updates here when they come around.
 

SKmarioman

King Bowser
So Wii U modding is really starting to show it's potential to even catch up with the Wii?

Nice. Though on the other hand I hope there'll be a way to system transfer from Wii U to NX before I get in on it, just like I did with my Wii.
 

NSY

Celestial Guide
this looks pretty decent actually
 

Baby Luigi Rescuing Mario

*insert Shakira music here*
SKmarioman said:
So Wii U modding is really starting to show it's potential to even catch up with the Wii?

Nice. Though on the other hand I hope there'll be a way to system transfer from Wii U to NX before I get in on it, just like I did with my Wii.
It's even easier to mod the Wii U imo. The files are easier to edit and I feel like there are less restrictions overall. For example, Mario Kart 8 doesn't need to use a .brsar-like file to patch the music anymore, and in Smash for Wii U, you can actually add color swaps to your characters and music to your stages rather than in Brawl where you usually need to replace them. The only reason it's difficult now is that we're just starting to understand the formats, but once we receive a tool that can do things in the same caliber as say, BrawlBox, the potential is even bigger than the Wii.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Are worlds going to be gargantuan, like they were in Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii? Is there potential for ~~~secret worlds~~~?
Oh yes, I think the worlds will be pretty big, though it's dependent on how many levels will be made for it. I don't know if we'll get world as large as World 2 of Newer though, even I think it's a bit too big.

Secret worlds are a real possibility, yes.
 

RandomYoshi

Sweden? More like Memeden.
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
Baby Luigi said:
Chiaki Nanami said:
Are worlds going to be gargantuan, like they were in Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii? Is there potential for ~~~secret worlds~~~?
Oh yes, I think the worlds will be pretty big, though it's dependent on how many levels will be made for it. I don't know if we'll get world as large as World 2 of Newer though, even I think it's a bit too big.

Secret worlds are a real possibility, yes.
[HYPE INTENSIFIES]
 

LeftyGreenMario

Mushroom Kingdom's second greenest plumber
SKmarioman said:
So Wii U modding is really starting to show it's potential to even catch up with the Wii?
I hear you can do some pretty cool things with what we have right now. For instance, if I recall correctly, MrRean told me that you can change the objects within a level without it affecting other levels (for example, you can change the Goomba around in 1-1 and it won't affect the Goombas in the other levels). Though you can't do the same to music. Either way, that's verrrry interesting.

Again, if you're a Mario fan, go and play Newer Super Mario Bros. if you haven't already, especially if you want to see new world themes that aren't the tired grass-desert-whatever.

They even have Shy Guys.
 

RandomYoshi

Sweden? More like Memeden.
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
Also Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii is actually challenging in a good way and it actually doesn't patronise you with bullshit Super Guides and it's probably the best game with the New graphics and such and it's not even an official game.
 

yoshi123

~Yo-YO, let's GO! PSI Prodigy!~
Newer SMBWii had some cleverly used ideas too (I remember that tower with the screen wrapping was cool), a nice overworld map, great music and some actually fairly well hidden Star Coins/pathways, also actually liked that they made the Star Coins useful!

Question, do you know if you'll need a channel similar to Homebrew or Riivolution to play this mod on your Wii U? Or would it be easily accessible through an exploit, like Loadiine for example?
 

Ninelevendo

Dry Bowser
So how is Newer U going to work with New Super Luigi U, espically since there are multiple ways to get both? (Three different disks, NSMBU, NSLU and NSMBU+NSLU)

Also how is Wii U modding going with PAL consoles?
 

Maria Renard

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Pretty impressive to see this in progress.
 

LeftyGreenMario

Mushroom Kingdom's second greenest plumber
Timmy said:
Question, do you know if you'll need a channel similar to Homebrew or Riivolution to play this mod on your Wii U? Or would it be easily accessible through an exploit, like Loadiine for example?
With the current methods known so far, I think it's going to have to be exploit, since no permanent exploit method exists for the Wii U yet.

Ninelevendo said:
So how is Newer U going to work with New Super Luigi U, espically since there are multiple ways to get both? (Three different disks, NSMBU, NSLU and NSMBU+NSLU)

Also how is Wii U modding going with PAL consoles?
I believe we're working with New Super Mario Bros. U by itself so it would be optimal if you have just that. I dumped the content of the game and they asked me what type, and I provided the pure New Super Mario Bros. U, which was fine for them. Otherwise, I'm not sure how it'll work with New Super Luigi U in any way.
 

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
How are bosses being handled? From what I've seen of the Wii game, the mini bosses are powered up enemies and the bosses are Koopalings. Will this be kept the same or will Boom Boom always be the mini boss?
 

LeftyGreenMario

Mushroom Kingdom's second greenest plumber
It's pretty early to be answering questions. We're focusing on development on the level mechanics, level themes (this includes world themes). Don't be surprised that I'm quite reluctant on telling you some plans, though I do know some plans are set in place. Right now, I'm working on drawing a few concept sketches, but I do hope I'll get into the modeling sooner or later! Right now, even I don't exactly know how Boom-Boom is going to be dealt with but we may be getting something like powered-up enemies again.

But not much is being discussed about that, that's the only thing for sure.

I don't want to leak information, keep this in mind.
 

RandomYoshi

Sweden? More like Memeden.
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
Timmy said:
made the Star Coins useful!
I never used any of the Star Coins because there was always a way to return to an earlier level to obtain the powerup you wanted. :p

This thread is actually making me want to replay Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii in preparation for this hack.
 

LeftyGreenMario

Mushroom Kingdom's second greenest plumber
Convenience is nice, though I've wanted the Star Coins to replenish themselves so you don't have to worry about spending them.
 

Luigi_Fan

Spiny
I don't really have anything to say except for the thing I said on rhcafe but good luck in the making of this project.
 

Zae

Donkey Kong
Banned User
this seems rather nice, even if the trailer is very test like to me, but regardless its something to look forward to in the future.

Nice work thus far, mad respex for everyone involved.
 

Baby Luigi Rescuing Mario

*insert Shakira music here*
The first level of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii in Newer Super Mario Bros. U format:


This won't be in the final mod, but you can see how much we've accomplished with the level editor.
 

Maria Renard

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Baby Luigi said:
The first level of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii in Newer Super Mario Bros. U format:

This won't be in the final mod, but you can see how much we've accomplished with the level editor.
Cool. It's truly brilliant.
 
Top