what makes a good video game plot to you?

Zae

Donkey Kong
Banned User
ive been thinking about this for a loooong time, what makes an enjoyable video game plot to you?

is it quirkiness, deep reasoning, is positivity, negativity, etc.?

For me, idk. I've always been one for rather simplier plots like ff5 or paper mario, none of those plots that really try to run deep in serious motions and epicness, like say metal gear solid, or tales of symphonia.

I guess plot wise im more of one for simple, upbeat, positive plot lines in most cases, there are exceptions like LISA, or Mother 3.

But im not here entirely for me, i know my reasons, but what about you guys, what makes a good video game plot to you?

It's not really like a experiment or anything just curiosity, that and i like to see what other people think, really broadens the horizion.

Whatever Virtue's Last Reward did

I'm a sucker for drama (which has also come with the caveat that I have picked up on a lot of clichés) but I tend to feel rather numb if it's nothing but drama. Games like EarthBound/Mother 3 and Undertale, which weave in and out of drama and comedy as the situation demands, are probably the gold standard for what I like to look for. Of course, the standard good stuff, like character development, fleshed-out locations, and well-written dialog are always welcome.

I should not be the one speaking, since you could write a short story about two rocks and I'll probably enjoy it. However, I find good plots to be ones that really expanding beyond just what the main plot is. Games that delve really into the characters to make them feel more individual and more unique, and those that will tie stories back into the main plot or those that deverge from the plot but still is worthwhile to experience.

I think the biggest thing for me is consistency. Games that try to involve too many gimmicks or references tend to fall flat if they don't really commit to it. Maybe a game's plot isn't very action-filled or always fighting, but it still can be great as a game that more simplistic and not as involved as long as it doesn't try to be funny randomly with no reason to be. Maybe not the best example, but as long as a plot follows through through most/all of their ideas and not half-assing things, then it's a great plot.

Lapis Lazuli said:
you could write a short story about two rocks and I'll probably enjoy it.
is that why you like steven universe

If it doesn't hugely interrupt the gameplay, is an emotionally investing story, and isn't too overly sappy, then I'd probably enjoy it.

I'm not much of a plot person in the first place regarding video games so eh.

anything that's interesting enough to keep me wanting more, and preferably emotional as well. also characters involved in the plot need to be good in order for me to enjoy it

I don't really care for storylines, but I can't stand the stereotypical "X kidnaps Y, Z rescues Y and kills X" by sequel "X kidnaps Z, Y rescues Z and kills X" then second sequel "X tries to kidnap Y and fights Z along the way" plots, which is the majority of games.

To be honest, I don't care so much for the plot as more for the stuff around it. Like, the world it takes place in should feel alive, its lore should be internally consistent and interesting, and the characters should be well-written and likable.

Those are the kinds of games I can lose myself in. That's why I like Majora's Mask so much (and also The Wind Waker). That's why I don't really like Twilight Princess, because, while the game is trying to have a plot, everything around it falls apart completely (things like forgetting to give Link a bed, Hyrule Castle Town being 90% NPCs you cannot talk to, the clown guy being forever stuck in Lake Hylia, etc.)

What's also a cardinal sin is empty dialogue. Like, the characters turning into imbeciles and making pointless, unnecessary statements. This is pretty much the main reason why I cannot get into the Persona series despite the concept of it absolutely fascinating me. These characters just talk so much without ever saying anything. Don't even get me started on Golden Sun, which is like Empty Dialogue: The Game.

So yeah, interesting world, fun characters, no drawn-out bullshit.

For me, what makes a good plot is generally memorable characters and good humor. Still, I don't care about the quality of the plot is as long as the gameplay is good. For example, I'm in the minority of people who didn't like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, because while the story was great, the gameplay was a total bore.

DragonFreak said:
That's my problem with PMD. Love so much about it from the concept to the story but the gameplay is so bad I will never play another one again.
What part about the gameplay did you dislike? I personally thought it was repetitive and dull.

Zuko said:
DragonFreak said:
That's my problem with PMD. Love so much about it from the concept to the story but the gameplay is so bad I will never play another one again.
What part about the gameplay did you dislike? I personally thought it was repetitive and dull.

it is very dull, very repetitive, very slugish, very uninteresting, and lacks variety, storywise the pmd games are generally top but i feel like everything else it flaws so flat in so many areas.

Especially with evolutions, which is arguably one of the most important aspects of pokemon and they let it happen in post game, NEAR END POST GAME, like wtf is that

i think the only real thing that keeps people going in the series is the storylines really, i cant see much else in the series.

Zuko said:
DragonFreak said:
Pretty much. At least for the one I played (Blue Rescue Team I believe) all the floors of each area were more/less exactly the same

Zae Eildus said:
Especially with evolutions, which is arguably one of the most important aspects of pokemon and they let it happen in post game, NEAR END POST GAME, like wtf is that
I'm probably in the minority that likes how evolution is just a cosmetic and typing kind of thing in those games, and you can break any Pokemon as long as it isn't Ditto.

I just need a fitting soundtrack and something that sparks emotion, rather than satisfaction at beating the game.

Zae Eildus said:
it is very dull, very repetitive, very slugish, very uninteresting, and lacks variety, storywise the pmd games are generally top but i feel like everything else it flaws so flat in so many areas.

i think the only real thing that keeps people going in the series is the storylines really, i cant see much else in the series.

blah, so are the mainline pokemon games.

i love pokemon mystery dungeon, i find it much more involving than, say, the mainline pokemon games. i can't really say what i like about it, the fans are pretty niche.

Baby Luigi said:
Zae Eildus said:

blah, so are the mainline pokemon games.

i love pokemon mystery dungeon, i find it much more involving than, say, the mainline pokemon games. i can't really say what i like about it, the fans are pretty niche.

yeah the main pokemon games are pretty barebones as well, probably why i take big time breaks between them. Then again so is dragonquest and it intends to be far more interesting.

but i guess that is kinda off topic though.

I think Super Mystery Dungeon's plot sucked, trying to be on topic. The characterization is nice, but seriously, it's about saving a tree that makes the planet spin or something, and killing it causes the planet to crash into the sun. The planet even was at the verge of crashing into the sun (which would've killed life long before it hits the sun, but that's being believable).

If you have knowledge of astronomy (such as knowing that if planet stopped spinning, it wouldn't hurtle toward the sun, but it would still cause a ton of problems such as the night and daytime parts of the planet slowly becoming inhospitable if the stop was gradual,; if the stop was sudden, you'll get swept off the planet), it's extremely jarring to have such awfully inaccurate portrayal of physics interfere with the story. It doesn't help that you have a villain called Dark Matter, and my sister said it's hard to take it seriously.

Striker Mario said:
I think Super Mystery Dungeon's plot sucked, trying to be on topic. The characterization is nice, but seriously, it's about saving a tree that makes the planet spin or something, and killing it causes the planet to crash into the sun. The planet even was at the verge of crashing into the sun (which would've killed life long before it hits the sun, but that's being believable).

If you have knowledge of astronomy (such as knowing that if planet stopped spinning, it wouldn't hurtle toward the sun, but it would still cause a ton of problems such as the night and daytime parts of the planet slowly becoming inhospitable if the stop was gradual,; if the stop was sudden, you'll get swept off the planet), it's extremely jarring to have such awfully inaccurate portrayal of physics interfere with the story. It doesn't help that you have a villain called Dark Matter, and my sister said it's hard to take it seriously.

ah that storyline that wants to be epic and serious but doesnt really make a whole lot of sense syndrome.

Zae Eildus said:
Striker Mario said:

ah that storyline that wants to be epic and serious but doesnt really make a whole lot of sense syndrome.
Sonic 06

Zuko said:
Zae Eildus said:
Striker Mario said:

Sonic 06

tales of symphonia, final fantasy 7, final fantasy 13, lots of mgs titles.

Yeah its kind of an issue.

Striker Mario said:
It doesn't help that you have a villain called Dark Matter

Is the final boss a bleeding eyeball by any chance?

Zae Eildus said:
Zuko said:
Zae Eildus said:
Striker Mario said:

Sonic 06

What about Tales of Symphonia didn't make sense? Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing, I'm just curious.

Dr. Alphys said:
Striker Mario said:
It doesn't help that you have a villain called Dark Matter

Is the final boss a bleeding eyeball by any chance?

Zae Eildus said:
Zuko said:
Zae Eildus said:
Striker Mario said:

Sonic 06

What about Tales of Symphonia didn't make sense? Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing, I'm just curious.

lloyds actual father, how a single blade split the two worlds, how the angels were created, among other things.

Not that i think the game is bad, i freaking love it, but the writing is kind of a mess.

Back