20 dead in Orlando shooting

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
this seems like a good write-up of the events

in summary: around 2AM Sunday morning, a shooter went into the Pulse gay club in Orlando, Florida and opened fire on the crowd, and began to take hostages. a SWAT team was called in and in a shootout the shooter was killed. 20 people are dead and about 42 are injured

the worst part about this is the us has had two back to back gun attacks, and we're going to wake up tomorrow and find that they're going to do next to nothing in terms of gun control to avoid upsetting a few people. obama tried a while back iirc, but the situation hasn't gotten any better.

i offer all my support to the victims and their families

This is absolutely disgusting. My deepest condolences go out to the families of the victims. It's appalling that this sort of thing still happens.

ugh this is so terrible, the fact that this is a common occurrence is unacceptable.

another sad thing is that the shooter was foreign, and i think we all know how people react when that happens. "guns aren't the problem, immigrants are! deport all of them!" (even though he was born in the us)

absolutely horrific, my thoughts go to victims and the familes

This is absolutely disgusting. My condolences go out to all the people involved. May they all rest in peace.

A very horrific event, R.I.P. to the victims. This proves that the gun problem is far from controlled.

damn tragic

should be interesting to see how much of double edged sword this is for politicians. some will use this as a reason to support the proposed muslim ban and the deportation/banning of immigrants. same people will probably use this as an example to be anti-gun control since "if everyone has guns stuff like this won't end up being as devastating." and if this gets confirmed as a hate-crime (which it most likely is ) there'll be those ultra right wingers that'll be like "teh gays and trannys should be more concerned about stuff like this happening to them, and as such they shouldn't care about every-day discrimination against them." on the other paw there'll be humans who'll use this as an example to be pro-gun control (for obvious reasons) and-in the event it's confirmed to be a hate crime-as an example of why homo/transphobia is a horrible thing

Happy said:
damn tragic

should be interesting to see how much of double edged sword this is for politicians. some will use this as a reason to support the proposed muslim ban and the deportation/banning of immigrants. same people will probably use this as an example to be anti-gun control since "if everyone has guns stuff like this won't end up being as devastating." and if this gets confirmed as a hate-crime (which it most likely is ) there'll be those ultra right wingers that'll be like "teh gays and trannys should be more concerned about stuff like this happening to them, and as such they shouldn't care about every-day discrimination against them." on the other paw there'll be humans who'll use this as an example to be pro-gun control (for obvious reasons) and-in the event it's confirmed to be a hate crime-as an example of why homo/transphobia is a horrible thing
it's already started

iOvpbJS.png

Heard about it from a friend this morning, pretty freaking terrible.

Massive prayers to the victims families, i wish this would stop happening.

And only a week before Father's Day... what has the world come to? I offer condolences to the victims and their families.

2016, please stop with the deaths already.

When will these outdated, moronic, stone age thoughts end? Jesus Christ, as if 2016 didn't need to be any more rotten.

Offering condolences to victims and their families who have to endure this random bullshit.

Happy said:
damn tragic

I'm fairly certain I read that the father of the shooter said it wasn't "religiously motivated", but that his son was angry after "seeing two men kiss in Miami".

The shooter called 911 to pledge allegiance to Isis, in case you all weren't in the clear. (I've been out and just now catching up on this, sorry if it's old news.)

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/index.html

This is entirely fucked up. I can't fathom as to why someone who was born and raised here would want to be one of those backward-ass thugs.

This is truly awful. I pray for the families to be able to get through this

The weird thing is, before that, he wasn't even deeply religious. The bastard probably had mental health problems.

Oh and it's been reported that he abused his wife, that's not surprising at all.

Get this, there was about to be an attack in the Los Angeles Pride festival as well, but there isn't any indication that they're related.

Scary. My sister's friend and her family were in Orlando during the shooting.

I hope the survivors make a speedy recovery and the deceased rest in peace.

Baby Luigi said:
The bastard probably had mental health problems.

Please don't do this. This was an attack against gays and whether or not the perpetrator had a mental illness does not change the fact that it was an act of hate, so not only does that comment discredit that it was motivated completely by homophobia it also slanders those with mental illnesses as being a default for these kinds of acts.

This is absolutely disgusting, and homophobia is absolutely disgusting. My condolences to the victims and their families/friends.

the fbi had so many tabs on this guy and chose to do nothing because they felt he was "harmless"

this makes me so fucking mad.

there was a twitter post that said something along the lines of 'some of the bodies are still where they fell and investigators have to work while the deceased's phones are frantically ringing as loved ones are desperately trying to contact them'

that is an utterly depressing thought.

my thoughts go out to the victims, their families and anyone else having to deal with this awful tragedy.

Heartbroken and disgusted. Condolences to the loved ones of those affected.

There was a thing floating around with some text messages between one man in the club and his mother that just abruptly stopped. That freaking wrecked me.

Also this had about twice the victims of the Port Arthur shooting that made Australia get strict gun control. Like, I get that America has a huge cultural history with guns but you have to wonder at what point enough is enough

I've been reading many stories on facebook throughout the day. One talking about the last texts a mother recieved, how Florida hospital is preventing gay people from donating blood to help those in need, and of course the political charge coming from this. Foreign shooter kills gay people; literally cannot even stand what my parents are saying about this, who are very right wing about stuff.

I hope everyone that has been injured get healed, and condolesences to the families that lost loved ones to this. I believe they said this is the worst gun shooting ever in America, and it's so sad that this had to happen. No one deserved it.

Back