20 dead in Orlando shooting

My aunt, who's gay, has been planning to visit that area for awhile now (to visit my grandfather). Scary to think she could have been a victim had this happened a few weeks from now.

Prayers for all those affected.

Gulillilliant said:
the fbi had so many tabs on this guy and chose to do nothing because they felt he was "harmless"

this makes me so fucking mad.
they didn't "choose" to do nothing; he hadn't broken any laws so they couldn't legally do anything to him

this isnt minority report

GalacticPetey said:
If the FBI was watching him he shouldn't have been able to purchase those guns within the past week. But he did.

As has been said, although the FBI was watching him, he didn't break any laws. Therefore, the FBI couldn't just take away his gun-buying rights for seemingly no reason at all. Remember, you're innocent until proven guilty.

It's much more complicated than that. Even though he's being closely monitored, taking away his gun rights without any clear reason sets a terrible precedent - suddenly, the government is allowed to take away your rights just because they suspect something from you. It's a terrible outcome, yes, and the problem would have been solved instantly if they took away his gun-buying rights, but then again, do you really want the government suddenly be able to mess with your personal rights at will?

Personal rights and freedom are sometimes a double-edged sword; they protect everyone, but they will also occasionally result in what we saw here. It's a sacrifice we have to make.

I definitely think that guns should be legal for protection, but gun laws should be stricter and this is an example. I would hate to imagine how the victims' families feel. I would be devastated if one of my close family members was shot by one of these types of people. I would be the most horrible and hateful anybody ever seen me towards the shooter(s) if that were to happen. Rest in peace, people who were murdered. Get well, people who were injured.

Andymii said:
It's much more complicated than that. Even though he's being closely monitored, taking away his gun rights without any clear reason sets a terrible precedent - suddenly, the government is allowed to take away your rights just because they suspect something from you. It's a terrible outcome, yes, and the problem would have been solved instantly if they took away his gun-buying rights, but then again, do you really want the government suddenly be able to mess with your personal rights at will?

Personal rights and freedom are sometimes a double-edged sword; they protect everyone, but they will also occasionally result in what we saw here. It's a sacrifice we have to make.

Owning a gun shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege, just like driving cars. If you break the laws, you lose your privilege.

Btw, I'm sorry for making that comment earlier, I was too pissed off by this news to think and word my posts properly. I don't mean to slander against people with mental health problems (considering I technically have one myself), and I will take back what I said. Next time I won't use say that.

How far do we need to go now.

The World is truly a mess , and why? Because people hate innocents that are not afraid to be themselves so much for no legit reason.

Im more disgusted than anything , because this is an act of hate , i just cannot understand how some people can hate others to this point of horrible tragedies.

Everyday im more convinced that , while we are advancing in technology , we are totally going backwards in terms of acceptance , respect and love.

We're totally going forward actually. Being gay used to be actually labeled as a "mental disorder" in older revisions of psychology books. Being gay used to be the absolute kiss of death. Now, we have gay marriage laws, LGBT parades (lots of it) and more awareness of the other spectrums far more than we ever had, as well as more education and scientific studies that advance our knowledge of sexual orientations. We're definitely making progress.

However, *bleep*s get left behind and let their bigoted minds resort to violence than, y'know, actually accepting that they're (meaning gays and others) normal people who just want to be loved as much as any other person. Don't let those minorities fool you that we're going backwards, we aren't.

Baby Luigi said:
Andymii said:

Owning a gun shouldn't be a right, it should be a privilege, just like driving cars. If you break the laws, you lose your privilege.

But the shooter didn't break any laws, and the FBI couldn't take away his gun privileges for the reasons I've given.

Why does the FBI even have tabs on him in the first place? You'd have to do something pretty damn bad to have the FBI monitor you.

Baby Luigi said:
Why does the FBI even have tabs on him in the first place? You'd have to do something pretty damn bad to have the FBI monitor you.
I believe he was considered a suspect in the boston marathon bombings a few years back but the case was dropped

Maybe US needs a 'high risk' list of people to blacklist from purchasing guns?

But the shooter didn't break any laws, and the FBI couldn't take away his gun privileges for the reasons I've given.
He allegedly had a history of aggression and had assaulted his partner, though I dunno if he was ever charged for it.

I have an idea:
Use prerequisite mental screenings as a gun control method (of course under states rights control)

I was going to put a political comment but then I realize that this country's politics is a big fat flab of stupidity that makes me want to rant and hit people in the face with bricks. I feel like hitting my TV with a brick every time I turn it on and I see another Bull- election coverage. Our media is garbage. Our politics are garbage. Our society is garbage. Our economics is garbage. Our countries are garbage. Our species is garbage. It's all turning into garbage. I'm just going to say the truth and that truth is that its too late and our species, more sooner than later, is just going to kill itself. We're going to go extinct or near extinct because of us. We killed ourselves. Yes there are good people out there but evil has control of our world. Its always had control. I'm probably going to rot in Trump's Gulag, watching the end. I'm literally losing my optimist self. And I swear if I here one of you take a crack at my s*** I'll throw bricks. I'm sad, tired, and depressed of this repetitive s***. It doesn't matter any more if you ban Muslims or ban assault rifles. Its all talk nothing really ever is getting done, partisan politics. We had a chance after world war 2 to change but we missed it. Everything you see of stability is a lie and an illusion. The United Nation is more of a humanitarian aid than a political unifier. Our banks are "rich" and our currencies are actually worthless . First our economy will collapse, then our politics along with another war. It'll be the struggle for existence as you'll have to live off the the land. Enjoy the happiness now while you can. It's going to be the last.

I heard about Orlando yesterday, as I wasn't paying as much attention to the news or anything lately. I am so sorry to all that lost loved ones, as I know how hard that is. I pray for those who lost people and I pray for those who died so suddenly, without any warning. May you be blessed and forever remembered.

Threek said:
drinking booze in a gay bar doesn't sound very islamic
this kid was muslim the same way a yoga teacher that smokes weed and hangs dalai lama quotes all over their room is a buddhist

I think the injured should be okay now.
That was nothing compared to 9/11 where over 1000 died, I was just a baby at the time, yet I remember that day like if it was yesterday.

TabuuandPeach said:
That was nothing compared to 9/11 where over 1000 died, I was just a baby at the time, yet I remember that day like if it was yesterday.

Please do not compare tragedies for the purpose of ranking them in order of severity. That's disrespectful and trivializes the lives that were lost.

Dr. Alphys said:
TabuuandPeach said:

Please do not compare tragedies for the purpose of ranking them in order of severity. That's disrespectful and trivializes the lives that were lost.
well I respect the victims I even cry because most of them in that tragedy was friends on Tumblr, Facebook, and Google Plus. about 99% was friends. I cry every day.

even though you respect them, you should still not be ranking tragedies, dude. both are horrifying.

Back