Giving "genderless" pokemon genders

When I was younger, I've always wanted female Pokemon and I was always pissed off how the starters were most of the time male. At least the first time I played Gen VI I got a female Turtwig and that was pretty great.

2257 said:
i see every pokemon as 50/50 or sexless, including the ones that canonically arent

the skewed sex ratios always pissed me off back when i actually played pokemon
87.5% chance for male eevee so that their evolutions like Espeon and Sylveon will most likely be male too.

GalacticPetey said:
Striker Mario said:
^Particularly, the sex ratios for the starters.

I never understood why it favors male starters.
So they're harder to breed to get more of.

But Ditto makes that null and void.
And you can just rinse and repeat until you get the gender you want.

It should be just 50/50 or you can even choose its gender.

And why exactly should it be slightly harder to breed to get more of them? They're not often the most powerful Pokemon to begin with. In fact, their stats are often average.

Johnny Boy said:
Why is the Togepi line mostly male? How would anything even be mostly male?
Sex ratios CAN be skewed in nature though, such as in aphids, where there are twice as many females as males (though males at birth weigh more if I recall correctly).

Striker Mario said:
GalacticPetey said:
Striker Mario said:

But Ditto makes that null and void.
And you can just rinse and repeat until you get the gender you want.

It should be just 50/50 or you can even choose its gender.

And why exactly should it be slightly harder to breed to get more of them? They're not often the most powerful Pokemon to begin with. In fact, their stats are often average.

Johnny Boy said:
Why is the Togepi line mostly male? How would anything even be mostly male?
Sex ratios CAN be skewed in nature though, such as in aphids, where there are twice as many females as males (though males at birth weigh more if I recall correctly).
Another thing I didn't know that I learned.

what i'm about to say here is going to go into some dangerous territory

it's a little bit off topic but hopefully you can appreciate my reasoning

if you have any problems with this, then i don't want to cause trouble, i'll delete the post, and we'll forget this ever happened, but i feel like this needs to be said

Javelin said:
genders are a touchy topic here because half the userbase is trans

this topic seems fine to me, tbh, but it's a bit similar to the dreaded birdo/vivian discussions and whatnot that everyone hates
i don't see why it has to be a touchy subject, for one, this is a community that will only respect people if they don't want to be met with a sweet kiss of a ban hammer, it's in the rules, so i don't see why anybody would be purposefully offensive to a group that has already been discriminated against in the past

secondly, this is an empowering choice, by today's society is often considered a taboo subject, yet is slowly becoming what it truly is, a normal thing to be a transgender, if you can call anything normal nowadays. It's different, but everything and everyone is different

yet people seem to dance around transgenderism like it's a dangerous subject in our community. it's really not, people need to realise this, it doesn't have to be a sensitive subject, yet for some reason it is. you're breaking the boundaries of our genders that we've been confined to for generations, and i and most of the world (who aren't complete assholes) respect this

so i don't see WHY it has to be a sensitive subject, we're all fully supportive. instead of shooting people down with comments like this:

Yohane Tsushima said:
This thread is basically 'stereotyping/assuming genders based on shitty gender roles- the thread'

why not help people to understand how genders work? because you are literally helping NOBODY by doing this

the point of this topic was a little bit stupid, however i'd like to point out that not everybody is free of gender roles just yet, and they simply don't know or understand this stuff, so instead of yelling at the problem until it goes away (which takes a while, shown by this damned thread), i think it's important that we speak our reasoning, i think it's important that we TALK, and we realise that it isn't a bad thing to discuss, because i am sick of having to dance around the subject all the time

it's made me want to leave several times (if only i could leave, this place is somewhat addictive as fuck), because of how dangerous a subject it is, even though we act as if it's not

johnny boy didn't know any better, why can't we help him know better, instead of yelling at him?

TL;DR: Everyone is getting all shitty about "Gender Roles" and "Transgenderism", when it's probably easier to talk those who don't understand it, instead of marking it down as a taboo subject and forcing people to accept that

General Neptune said:
It's a small request, but if you're going to make long posts, it would make a difference if you capitalized.

i don't honestly see why capitalisation should take away any points from my post

there are various users around this forum who make their points rather eloquently without capitalising, this isn't an essay

besides, it's harder to do so on an ipad, especially after i've disabled autocorrect

Striker Mario said:

Especially for some of the more "feminine" starters like Chikorita. It's so annoying to have to constantly reset if I want to have a female starter instead. And I hate how difficult it is to have a female Eevee.

General Neptune said:
what i'm about to say here is going to go into some dangerous territory

if you have any problems with this, then i don't want to cause trouble, i'll delete the post, and we'll forget this ever happened, but i feel like this needs to be said

Javelin said:
genders are a touchy topic here because half the userbase is trans

this topic seems fine to me, tbh, but it's a bit similar to the dreaded birdo/vivian discussions and whatnot that everyone hates
i don't see why it has to be a touchy subject, for one, this is a community that will only respect people if they don't want to be met with a sweet kiss of a ban hammer, it's in the rules, so i don't see why anybody would be purposefully offensive to a group that has already been discriminated against in the past

secondly, this is an empowering choice, by today's society is often considered a taboo subject, yet is slowly becoming what it truly is, a normal thing to be a transgender, if you can call anything normal nowadays. It's different, but everything and everyone is different

yet people seem to dance around transgenderism like it's a dangerous subject in our community. it's really not, people need to realise this, it doesn't have to be a sensitive subject, yet for some reason it is. you're breaking the boundaries of our genders that we've been confined to for generations, and i and most of the world (who aren't complete assholes) respect this

so i don't see WHY it has to be a sensitive subject, we're all fully supportive. instead of shooting people down with comments like this:

Yohane Tsushima said:
This thread is basically 'stereotyping/assuming genders based on shitty gender roles- the thread'

why not help people to understand how genders work? because you are literally helping NOBODY by doing this

the point of this topic was a little bit stupid, however i'd like to point out that not everybody is free of gender roles just yet, and they simply don't know or understand this stuff, so instead of yelling at the problem until it goes away (which takes a while, shown by this damned thread), i think it's important that we speak our reasoning, i think it's important that we TALK, and we realise that it isn't a bad thing to discuss, because i am sick of having to dance around the subject all the time

it's made me want to leave several times (if only i could leave, this place is somewhat addictive as fuck), because of how dangerous a subject it is, even though we act as if it's not

johnny boy didn't know any better, why can't we help him know better, instead of yelling at him?

TL;DR: Everyone is getting all shitty about "Gender Roles" and "Transgenderism", when it's probably easier to talk those who don't understand it, instead of marking it down as a taboo subject and forcing people to accept that
Thank you
Sonja said:
Striker Mario said:

Especially for some of the more "feminine" starters like Chikorita. It's so annoying to have to constantly reset if I want to have a female starter instead. And I hate how difficult it is to have a female Eevee.
Why isn't Eevee 50% female? The whole family looks just as feminine(if not, more than) as it looks masculine. I guess Eevees just have certain conditions, and it was originally sated Yeah, I just don't get it. Don't even get me started on how that Jynx P.O.S. is 100% female but Mr. Mime is only 50% male, ect. We might as well change this to the Pokemon Gender ratio nonsense thread. At least breeding for females is easy.

Why isn't Eevee 50% female?

GalacticPetey said:
^ding ding ding

it's purely a gameplay restriction so gamefreak can limit the number of people mass-breeding """"rare"""" pokemon like starters, eevee, togepi, and fossil pokemon because those are seen as 'special' pokemans you're only supposed to receive once because /////story/////

obviously this was much more relevant in earlier gens where Eevee/Togepi/Fossils/etc. were only obtained through special means, but now it's just an unnecessary layer of difficulty for breeding in later gens because the GTS exists and Ditto isn't as uncommon. in any case its silly to tie something like this to gender in the first place

iirc azurill can suddenly change genders upon evolution because marill has a different gender ratio and i found that neat but i thought that would probably be what's preventing gamefreak from shifting the gender ratios in the next generation in case people complain. However I've just learned that X&Y changed that, so really there's no excuse not to change the gender ratios next gen aside from keeping that shitty 'difficulty' in place

honestly gamefreak likes keeping shitty outdated trends from the past, like, i don't know, the shitty iv system

Yeah I am just going to leave... I am helping nobody, I am just a shitty asshole who can't say anything right..... i will leave this thread before i piss someone else off

nobody said you were an asshole that can't do anything right, and I doubt anyone here thinks that. all Neptune did was point out that your remark was rather unhelpful and that you should try to help people understand gender roles in the future. yeah it's criticism, but ultimately it's for the best. I used to cringe very hard and get really depressed as well whenever someone called me out on something I said or did (which used to happen to me ALOT). However, I learned over time that criticism actually makes you a stronger or better person. Just pay attention to what you're being called out on and learn from it in order to avoid repeating the mistakes of your history. don't let depression over past failures define your future

General Neptune said:
so i don't see WHY it has to be a sensitive subject, we're all fully supportive.
thank you omg

i love talking to people about stuff like this (however on the same page i'm not a walking transgender encyclopedia so people on social media should really stop treating me like such), and i don't think the subject should be treated as "touchy-touchy" unless you're saying something that you think might offend someone. i don't get why would you say something if you think it may be offensive, but ??? people on facebook are taking down a trans activist page and facebook refuses to punish them but is banning the trans activist page

Yohane Tsushima said:
Yeah I am just going to leave... I am helping nobody, I am just a shitty asshole who can't say anything right..... i will leave this thread before i piss someone else off
that wasn't his implication. he was trying to help you. he gave you a few ideas to help as well.

you can do great things, you just made a mistake. everyone makes a few mistakes, nobody expects anyone to be perfect

if everything were 50/50 then breeding would be broken and suped duper easy. it's a lot easier to just get a ditto for the time being, as it can breed with everyone

EDIT: yes i now realize this has already been said.

i don't get the "oh the line LOOKS female so it makes no sense for the gender to be mainly male" nope, not quite true. gender roles are making you believe that that can really look male or female. non-human animals can have different looks in nature, yes, but it's almost never specified in the pokemon universe. gender roles can be very harmful as some parents have probably beaten their sons for playing with dolls, and daughters with cars. it also beings upon stereotypes like "boys can't cry".

General Neptune said:

i agree, but with a caveat

while discussion is healthy when it's a good discussion with all parties seeking to understand, that's not often the case. if discussions devolve into pointless squabbles then nothing has been achieved except hurt feelings and bruised egos

if we aren't going to respect opinions and understand them then it's better to not even have a discussion
General Neptune said:
people dance around the issue because if you voice a comment that isn't 100% supportive, you're liable to get identified as a transphobe or whatnot. i think it's happened in multiple threads, although it might take me awhile to round some up

for example, take this thread. even mentioning the idea that some legendaries might have a certain gender is taken as offensive, because "why do you need to enforce your gender stereotypes" and blah blah blah
General Neptune said:
Yohane Tsushima said:

yeah i mean as long as there aren't personal attacks or anything or outright statements against all transgender people i really don't see the issue
General Neptune said:
it's only dangerous if we make it dangerous, imo
General Neptune said:

i mean that would be nice but if people are going to keep bothering him about this then it's probably better for everyone to just not discuss it. sometimes we can avoid conflict that way, or at least avoid endless debates

Yohane Tsushima said:
Yeah I am just going to leave... I am helping nobody, I am just a *bleep*ty *bleep* who can't say anything right..... i will leave this thread before i piss someone else off

Hey don't sweat it, no one actually thinks you are. Nothing's wrong with a wee bit of criticism here and there, that's all. Don't take it personally, people just want to help you out here.

I headcannoned my Magneton as identifying as male in my Crystal nuzlocke if that counts as anything.

Also fun fact about Pokemon genders, Azurill has a higher female to male gender ratio than Marill, so there's a chance of female Azurill can become male upon evolving. If this ever happened to one of my Azurill, I would probably headcanon this as him coming out as a trans male.

Marcia said:
I headcannoned my Magneton as identifying as male in my Crystal nuzlocke if that counts as anything.

Also fun fact about Pokemon genders, Azurill has a higher female to male gender ratio than Marill, so there's a chance of female Azurill can become male upon evolving. If this ever happened to one of my Azurill, I would probably headcanon this as him coming out as a trans male.
That's pretty much my headcannon of genderless pokemon.

Is there a species that can change gender upon changing stage just like there's male seahorses that can be pregnant?

Back