Favorite Chapter of TTYD?

Which chapter of Paper Mario 2 is your favorite?

• Prologue: A Rogue's Welcome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chapter 1: Castle and Dragon

• Chapter 2: The Great Boggly Tree

• Chapter 3: Of Glitz and Glory

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Chapter 4: For Pigs the Bell Tolls

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Chapter 5: The Key to Pirates

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Chapter 6: 3 Days of Excess

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Chapter 7: Mario Shoots the Moon

• Chapter 8: The Thousand-Year Door

• Total voters
The reason I like chapter 7 is because spaaaaaaaaace.

7 was probably my least favorite. I had a completely irrational hatred of being on the moon. Mario has no business being that sproingy!

honestly i like pretty much all the chapters, except maybe 7 i guess. i think arguing over them isn't very nice though

2257 said:
i have never understood what the appeal of chapter 3 was supposed to be. it felt like the "we ran out of development time" chapter to me

although i always thought everyone liked 3, and that i was in a small minority for liking chapter 6 the best. and uhhhh... apparently i was wrong

I like Chapter 3's story and characters, that's pretty much it. The gameplay and setting are pretty much meh. For the setting, Boggly Woods is my personal favorite and I would have voted for it if it weren't for the slightly annoying Puni gameplay mechanic.

The rest of the game aside from the Train chapter didn't really stand out to me.

2257 said:
i have never understood what the appeal of chapter 3 was supposed to be. it felt like the "we ran out of development time" chapter to me

although i always thought everyone liked 3, and that i was in a small minority for liking chapter 6 the best. and uhhhh... apparently i was wrong

its good because im in it

Chapter 7 has the horseshit General White section yes and I completely agree that it's asinine and I feel the chapter doesn't pick up until the Moon. However, in my latest run through of ttyd I got frustrating combinations on the Glitz Pit and that completely soured me on it. Not saying it's bad, because I like the Macho Grubba and Rawk Hawk fights, but I think it's a bit overrated. Also Chapter 7 has the best piece of music in the game that isn't boss music:

Space/futuristic setting > everything else

I still despise Chapter 4 the most though. Twilight Trail is straight up trash. I'm actually surprised at all the Excess Express votes to be honest. I like the chapter, but didn't think it'd be that popular.

edit: all this chapter 7 hate is hurting my soul

2257 said:
in other words, 2/37 enemies are visually new, and 12/37 are mechanically new

hold up fam

you can't get mad at chapter 3 for using enemies from the original paper mario

for a lot of us, TTYD was our first paper mario game, so those were fresh enemies to fight

in addition, you also have to consider if those enemies were used in TTYD proper yet

at this point, many of the enemies in TTYD have yet to be seen or used in the game, which makes them a fresh experience or a touch of nostalgia, depending on your perspective coming into the game

this makes chapter 3 fairly fresh if you haven't played the first game, and if you have played the first game it turns chapter 3 into a refresher course with round-specific restrictions, a background wrestling mystery and RAWK HAWK

there's a reason people like chapter 3

Sorry honey, but Tabuu's got a point there. :birdo:

There's probably plenty reasons to get mad at chapter 3, but lack of enemy variety is kind of reaching.

On paper, Chapter 3 and 6 are the coolest chapters. 5 is nice too.. But chapter 3 gets really repetitive after your first playthrough. Chapter 6 is always interesting though.

On a side note, if I have to choose, it's from 4 to 6. I can't decide

2257 said:
im sure somewhere out there theres someone who loves sticker star because they are the exact right age to have played that and nothing that came before it. are you really trying to tell me that you think liking sticker star is a valid or acceptable opinion, tabuu

Are we talking about Sticker Star? No. We're not. TTYD and Sticker Star aren't the same game, don't try and pull that. Nothing about my argument mentioned or was trying to defend Sticker Star, don't try to invalidate my point by turning it into something else.

I played Paper Mario some years after TTYD and I found the experience fairly rewarding, but returning afterward to TTYD shows a huge improvement in graphics, gameplay and mechanics.

I personally find TTYD to be the better game in most aspects, but there's definitely some things Paper Mario does better. (The sewers in particular stick out to me- you can absolutely get places you shouldn't be able to if you've mastered the combat system, and I like that.)

2257 said:
im sure somewhere out there theres someone who loves sticker star because they are the exact right age to have played that and nothing that came before it. are you really trying to tell me that you think liking sticker star is a valid or acceptable opinion, tabuu

Are you saying that the only problem with Sticker Star is its enemy variety? I don't really see how the things you said there compare. Like, at all.

Also, did you seriously just compare TTYD to Sticker Star? I think I'm gonna need a marriage counselor. :'(

2257 said:
allllll i'm saying is that if that argument is logically valid, it could be used to defend sticker star. but since the idea that a valid argument could be used to defend sticker star is absurd, the argument can't be valid. it's sO SIMPLE

that's not how the argument works

the basis of the argument is that if you haven't played the original paper mario on your first playthrough (which is a fairly reasonable assumption for a lot of people who played TTYD), then the "old" enemies from the first game are still new to you

if you have played paper mario, then you are still in familiar territory, but with the restrictions to make the fight harder/make you approach it in a different way
also

2257 said:
also i just thought of one case in which the restriction system made the fights harder. that's when you roll "only mario can attack" vs the iron clefts, and the battle becomes totally impossible. game design!

does this actually happen? if it does it's a shitty thing to overlook, but you'd also have to be pretty unlucky to roll it in the first place

You're arguing as if the flaws of sticker star are somehow only existent if you compare it to its predecessors.

That logic is flawed, because a lot of sticker star's faults are innate. It is an RPG without a story, characters, or roleplaying potential. Key ingredients that are essential for this genre, and it is missing all of them. This is a fundamental flaw, not just some random aspect that the game did a little worse than the games before it.

So no, you cannot use that argument to defend sticker star. Well, I mean, you CAN, but you'd look ridiculous doing it.

yeah but people liking sticker star has

nothing

to do with ttyd or this argument? you're the one who brought it up for basically no reason?

Hinoka said:
2257 said:

its good because im in it

And your team has a weaksauce weakness. :P

Step 1: Use an attack that hits all enemies without defeating them.
Step 2: The Bob-Ombs light their own fuses.
Step 3: Use Clock Out.

Also, another reason 3 is overrated.

NoHeXiA.png

I lost some valuable items to those jerks. :mad:

Sorry, but I'm loling at the entire argument

we're angry nerds on the internet what did you expect

honestly this is the first time I think i've legit argued about mario stuff in my years of being on a mario website

thanks 22

Baby Luigi said:
Sorry, but I'm loling at the entire argument

You and me both.

While its on my mind, 3 also makes you go through a tutorial on how to use the GBA thing for scheduling your matches/checking the rankings because an NPC needs to learn how to use it.

honestly, the only reason i even said chapter 3 (alongside chapter 2) because it was like the only one i remembered and its story was pretty nice.

excess express is also pretty unique with the whole mystery thing

though then again, i played through ttyd once and i prefer the original paper mario over ttyd so eh

Chapter 3 was alright.

The fights got pretty boring after a while, and there didn't seem to be much to explore, but the characters were pretty great and my sister and I enjoyed giving them silly voices (I didn't do this with the other chapters because she wasn't around for those).

Back