Paper Mario: Color Splash

Toad That's Actually a Car is something I'd main the crap out of

Im glad i dont remember either of those images.

Saves me the sad envoirment of the Paper Mario community during pre release of this game.

As of 2016 , Salt is now more than just an alchemy material or what we use in food ... tragic.

Mari Ohara said:
to anyone who also has this game and/or is smarter than me: is there something i'm missing with the roshambo temples? i know that the toads on the steps give you hints on how to beat the first two opponents, but is the third round seriously just luck?
The Rock Paper Wizard is pure RNG, the others have a pattern, I believe.

Regional differences for the washing machine Thing card. North America (top-loader, left), Europe (front-loader, right).
DpkaZ1i.jpg

EDIT: I looked it up on Spriters Resource that these two Thing card sprites both exist in both regions. Maybe on how they're obtained differs in different regions?

Goddamn those censorship-loving NOA freaks!!!!!!

I beat the game, so time for my mini-review.

I had tons of fun with it, and I would definitely recommend it, but for people who aren't as easily entertained as me I'd say wait for a price drop since the battle system gets pretty monotonous. However, the writing, level design, and atmosphere here are absolutely amazing, and the soundtrack is top-notch. Even though nearly all of the NPCs are toads, they're individualized and memorable. I actually cared about the world I was saving, which is something I can't say for Sticker Star or even Super Paper Mario.

By far my favourite parts of the game were the Violet Isles, where you go on an awesome pirate quest and go into PARALLEL UNIVERSES, and the levels focused around the Sunset Express, where you repair a train and then later chase after it when it gets hijacked by Larry.

Roshambo temples suck ass though, and should not be in the game.

Yeah, the train itself is certainly important enough to get its own section at least, if not a seperate article; it appears in every single orange level, and 3 out of 5 of those levels are even centered around it.

I wasn't a big fan of this game when it first dropped.
But then I saw part of a lets play and this game looks great and it's got tons of that old school paper mario charm.

This arrived so I'll start playing it soon, Fire Emblem and Mario Party showed up at the same time but my 3ds is dead at the moment from too much Gunvolt lol.

I'm not going in with much expectations again, like I did with Sticker Star. It seems like a fair few people enjoyed this one though so that's interesting.

Sorry for being late at the party, but I also like Ludwig's battle theme,
not only for the character ;) , but because it reminds me of this awesome theme from Sticker Star, even though it doesn't reach its greatness (this mini-boss theme from Sticker Star is still unsurpassed in my opinion, I hoped it would have returned as cameo in Color Splash):

Maria Renard said:
The game is finally out. I wonder if anyone here has bought it today.
Chances are high because the game was already sold out in my area (the mall I checked was (Crown Centeral)). The other malls still have a few but I'm just waiting till Christmas. :)

from what i've heard about this game so far i'm very interested and will probably pick it up sometime soon

Scrolling through the cards to find the one you're looking for in battle is a pain but otherwise I'm enjoying myself. I had some issues with not perfectly centering my paint swings so I'd have to swing a couple more times, but I got better at it so it's not really annoying me anymore. Also fuck 97% paint completion, that's the biggest fuck you.

That was cute.

I might have found something interesting:

the Koopalings sprite sheets are a bit more "complete" than I expected: for example, Morton has a full set of poses without wand that are related to status alteration and being hit by powerful attacks, even though he always fights with the"stick" (there's a whole set of poses with the stick, of course), while Roy and Ludwig have a full set of poses with the wand that as far as I know are not used in their battles. Morton and Lemmy even have many poses of them facing right, due to the asimmetry in their design, while Wendy has two attack poses facing right.

I was wondering why such poses were created, and I now I suspect to have found the answer: Koopalings Cards! In their early design, the Koopalings summoned through those cards might have fought with you, complete with status alterations, and in some cases they were even going to draw the wands and start attacking with them! Wendy, on the other hand, would have probaly jumped on the enemies and spun on her shell, as she wouldn't have been able to do timed attacks. If this is the case, I wonder why in the end the developers settled with them just running into enemies, did they find difficulties in properly creating attack animations out of these poses?

Well I beat it and this is definitely my third favourite in the series.

It's been too long since I've played a PM game I really liked and while it doesn't beat the first 2 it's still worth experiencing in it's own right if you ask me.

I would definitely buy this game if I had the Wii U. (The same can't be said about Sticker Star if I didn't own a 3DS/2DS.) If the NX has backwards capability to the Wii U, this won't be the first game I'll buy for the NX nor would it be the first Wii U game. The first Wii U game would be Mario Kart 8 if there is not a better Mario Kart or Super Mario 3D World (even if there was a better Super Mario game). That being said, Paper Mario: Color Splash would be ideal to get after a while. PMCS is not the best game ever, but it gives a new light at the end of the tunnel for the series.
One question to ask. What happens after a player beats the final boss? full detail.

I am surprised at how enjoyable the adventure has been so far. Initially I wasn't too thrilled when in Prisma Town, but once that was over with, then everything becomes a lot better. I took my time painting all the spots because I feel like a completionist. So far, I have beaten Plum Park and did the sidequest in Dark Bloo Inn, which means I can use 3 cards in battle. I wonder how long it would be before I get the third star, which I am guessing is Ludwig since that one's blue, and I got red and yellow so far.

Coming from playing the first Paper Mario game, I am surprised by how different the timing of the Hammer is, which makes it a very different experience. Gone were the days of holding the stick to charge, but now I need to time it. What I do like is that there is a reason to use the Hammer over the Jump: it has an area-of-effect that can dispatch enemies around the hit. I couldn't get Excellent every time, but whatever I could manage should be alright.

When Battle Spin is unlocked, then I pretty much use it whenever the opportunity arises, because everything there is cheaper, and I have mastered the timing necessary to get whatever card I want without using "Face", including all the Replica Cards. Amazingly, later on there are better cards in the roulette, which is really handy to have. It's my go to place to get decent cards.

I think it's a nice touch to be able to donate cards into the gallery, which I won't hesitate to do since most of the cards can easily be replaced. The only thing I am apprehensive of is retrieving the Koopaling cards, which requires beating the Roshambo Temples. So far I have beaten 2 of them on the first try, which is great, and I hope to be able to beat them quickly in the next few ones.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
I think it's a nice touch to be able to donate cards into the gallery, which I won't hesitate to do since most of the cards can easily be replaced. The only thing I am apprehensive of is retrieving the Koopaling cards, which requires beating the Roshambo Temples. So far I have beaten 2 of them on the first try, which is great, and I hope to be able to beat them quickly in the next few ones.
Don't worry about those: unless you're a huge fan of the Koopalings, the museum is indeed their place. I wrote before how they might have been designed to work differently, but the way they work in the final game makes them the most unimpressive Enemy Cards you can get, in my opinion.

Back