Paper Mario: Color Splash

hmm, i wonder if theres some unlockables along with paint for some variety in the mix. Maybe its wishful thinking though. So far color splash has my interest, which was not a thing with sticker star, since it really went up and down, but so far it seems that color splash is going upwards for the moment, so thats interesting.

Painting has potential for variety in various situations if used correctly i think, so maybe this could be a good step in the right direction.

I just wonder how high the damage numbers will go. In one clip Mario had 175 health.

Yep. Just as I've been saying since three months ago, this game is shaping up to be nothing more than a mere port and reskin of Sticker Star. How or why Intelligent Systems thought it was a good idea to to just totally disregard everything else and focus solely on elements from the game that 90% or more of the fandom despises, I'll never know. I'd say more, but I feel as if I've done enough ranting about Sticker Star over the years to cover both that and Color Splash as a whole.

One thing I will say, however, is that since the developers have made themselves plainly clear, saying that they have absolutely no intention of returning things back to the way they once were, then the Paper Mario series is dead to me, plain and simple. As far as I'm concerned, the series ended with Super Paper Mario. Say what you want about that game, but even though it didn't have the same gameplay as the first two, it was still Paper Mario in spirit. Sticker Star and Color Splash, on the other hand, are only "Paper Mario" in name and graphical style only.

SolarBlaze said:
Say what you want about that game, but even though it didn't have the same gameplay as the first two, it was still Paper Mario in spirit.

If by in spirit you mean tearing everything out of the Mario franchise that was remotely recognizable and replacing it with garbage then yes.

Calling it a port is horribly wrong as well. If we went by that logic TTYD is a port of PM64.

If you don't like the game fine but saying stuff like that is ridiculous.

Fair enough. Technically speaking, it isn't a port, but there's hardly anything about the two that stand out from one another. That's the point I was trying to make.

Except for all the various things that weren't in it's predecessor.

Besides. It's not even out yet so we can't fully make that kind of call.

Even so, seeing as the game's release is only four months away, most (if not all) the footage that's been shown so far is clearly indicative of what the final product is going to be, and I'm not the least bit impressed. The paint gimmick aside, everything about this game, from its flaws in the combat system, next to no original characters, etc., pretty much screams "Sticker Star 2".

It does seem to be following in Sticker Star's footsteps, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. This game seems to have a lot more heart and soul put into it, from what I've seen.

Off topic? But this is Paper Mario related. So I thought I just post a video over here on this site, though.

Magikrazy said:
It does seem to be following in Sticker Star's footsteps, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. This game seems to have a lot more heart and soul put into it, from what I've seen.

yeah i think so too, since at one point sticker star did have potential, as long as it doesnt follow a the complete development, i think its possible to be good.

yeah, that first bunch of stuff theyve shown for sticker star looked really promising

then in the following year at some point it mustve taken a turn for the worse because the e3 trailer from what i think was 2011 already showed us the game we all know and love

plus in my opinion i think the whole paint thing could have more variety and use then stickers.

Such as affecting the environment could be used in a battle and overworld situation(s), while stickers had some use potentially, it seemed to be very little in general.

But like said, long as color splash doesnt follow the same development cycle, i dont see to many issues at hand, The problem is in my view is that they're experimenting, which could be good, or could be bad, but thats why im paying more attention to this, as it seems to have hope and being experimental can have good effects, see the super nintendo era, lots of experimenting happened with various super nintendo games, and that era was wondrous for us 90s kids.

Luigi isn't a character in the game, he's just a background decoration like in Sticker Star :/

https://youtu.be/lh16YgtySJI?t=20m1s

Hopefully there is a better reward to finding him everytime then just being in the credits.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Luigi isn't a character in the game, he's just a background decoration like in Sticker Star :/

https://youtu.be/lh16YgtySJI?t=20m1s

almost as bad as paper mario.

I'm hoping for a bonus Paper Luigi mode.

bleh why is Luigi always getting the shaft in Paper Mario? Thousand-Year Door was the game that treated Luigi with the most respect, with the whole implied locations and receiving more partners and just generally being fun to listen to. Super Paper Mario treated him pretty badly while he was pretty much nonexistent in Paper Jam and Sticker Star.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Another reason to prefer Mario & Luigi over the Paper Mario games.

Baby Luigi said:
bleh why is Luigi always getting the shaft in Paper Mario? Thousand-Year Door was the game that treated Luigi with the most respect, with the whole implied locations and receiving more partners and just generally being fun to listen to. Super Paper Mario treated him pretty badly while he was pretty much nonexistent in Paper Jam and Sticker Star.

Because the developers apparently think it's still the late 90s where he got the shaft in everything

On a different note the quote at the end of this article has me curious

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-hopes-to-keep-paper-mario-color-splash-interesting-despite-its-limits

"We've done some play tests, and there were quite a few people who cried at the end,"

The heck could they possibly be crying about?

Mcmadness said:
On a different note the quote at the end of this article has me curious

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-hopes-to-keep-paper-mario-color-splash-interesting-despite-its-limits

"We've done some play tests, and there were quite a few people who cried at the end,"

The heck could they possibly be crying about?
Now you're really calling it...

Huey dies at the end.

Bowser reveals to Bowser Jr. that the Koopalings are his brothers and sister. The family is finally reunited for the first time.

They cried because they lost so much of their valuable time playing THAT game.

Back