Paper Mario: Color Splash

see thats it man, thats all ya need. That's what ive been doing for quite awhile actually since tales of symphonia dawn of the new world.

thats the best mentallity i think for games, sometimes you take that gamble, and that doesnt just go for you, ryu. That goes for everyone.

I like that the koopalings are in it.

Ryu said:
I actually think he was handled pretty well in Paper Jam. I'm just predicting that his character will be handled badly yet again, and he'll have a few lines of generic dialogue to superficially address Sticker Star complaints, though maybe (and hopefully) that's me complaining too much.

Yeah he probably won't be in the game much till the end. Still it can't get any worse than SPM.

Because thats exactly what I meant.

well, i've only seen the trailer and it looks like this game at least tries with a story. it's already way better than sticker star's "no dialogue" intro. also, you can clearly see non-generic toads on the cover, like those ninja toads. i'm perfectly fine with bowser being the main villain; it doesn't make the game any less fun with it. it's also nice to see some obscure characters like dragadon make the cut, as well as Koopalings.

oh yeah and the graphics look superb, too. i'm certainly going to buy this when it comes out.

The games look like they have a lot of creativity and colour put into it. I really loved how colourful the environments are, and how the humour is peppered in the game. Seeing the streams, I am surprised to see that some parts of the game that are hidden in plain view are able to be viewed at the back. It's even quite cool to see that you can get enemy cards and recruit them as allies. Since I never played Sticker Star before, it's a good opportunity for me to check this game out.

When this game was first announced, I saw this as a very artistic game that I would love to play, but I was afraid of putting my opinion here because when I see that the games are similar to Sticker Star, I can imagine the reaction is going to be negative. So, it's good to see that the reaction is less negative this time around.

I sympathise with Risa Tabata during her interview with GameXplain. Everything I hear in the interview, I can imagine some Paper Mario fans letting out a violent reaction, or at least cringing at what she said. True enough, the comments are generally spiteful, not only to the game, but also to Risa Tabata. It would be scary to imagine what would happen if those people are around that spot and what they would do to her. It's a miracle that she turned out fine, though the outrage might not be shown on video (then again, it must be my overreactive imagination).

Thanks for reading.

Zae Eildus said:
yeah and the more bitching you do about the game the more negative your gonna see it as.

Actually be neutral about it for once, if they can do decently on paper jam then they can do decently about this game.

Paper Jam and Color Splash are made by two different groups of people. Besides, the Mario and Luigi series is one of the only mario series yet to be "fucked up" different from the predecessors.

I actually find that Color Splash is much improved from Sticker Star, which in itself was a dissappointment, but wasn't terrible. They seemed to actually add a plot to this game, and NPCs that actually seem rather interesting, even if they are just a bunch of Toads. Not to mention that at least - even if it's just a small group of them - there are some unique toads in this game, so yay for that.

The thing is that they did not fix the battle system, which is what made the game so annoying in the first place. Once again, there is no point in battling enemies, unless you're low on ink, in which you can use the overworld to find it. Plus the "Thing" stuff returns, which will be annoying to make sure you know which one to use, but given Sticker Star, they'll make it super obvious. The temporary partners are okay, and a step in the right direction, but the battling aspect of this game is still the weakest part as it was in Sticker Star.

I'm actually quite interested for this game, and I definitely plan to get it, because at least the story will be worth while for me, and the dialogue seems rather cute. Not to mention how mortifying hearing the Toad scream at the beginning and watching his color disappear.

On Nintendo's youtube page, the Paper Mario vids have equal or more dislikes than likes, while the Mario Party one is by far more likes, which is interesting to see.

Zae Eildus said:
yeah and the more bitching you do about the game the more negative your gonna see it as.

Actually be neutral about it for once, if they can do decently on paper jam then they can do decently about this game.

even i cant keep being pessimistic about this because honestly, what theyve shown wasnt that bad

Lapis Lazuli said:
Once again, there is no point in battling enemies, unless you're low on ink, in which you can use the overworld to find it.

Actually there is. You get a point towards this meter when you win a battle and once it fills up the amount of paint you have increases.

there's a gamexplain interview with the color splash devs (i think it was the removed vid glowsquid posted) and they basically state want M&L to carry the rpg torch and turn paper mario into something else.*

this honestly looks... good. the visuals are certainly on-point, and as a whole the trailer left a better impression on me than what they showed in the last nintendo direct. if its a better sticker star then i might actually grab it later down the track, but sadly its not something that i'm going 'ZOMG must Pre-Order™ NOW!' at

*in that same interview, they mention that they'd be open to remaking TTYD if the demand is there
wow, going straight for pandora's box there
ftg64 on watch

Okay, I know fans aren't exactly happy about Color Splash, but I was expecting its demonstration video to at least get more likes than dislikes.

at least its pretty safe to say that this is the last wii u game ill buy since i probably wont get the new zelda in the inferior version

Midna said:
imagine a ttyd with all the original characters and rpg elements removed

So it would be an old timey adventure game?

Just like old timey adventure games.

GBAToad said:
there's a gamexplain interview with the color splash devs (i think it was the removed vid glowsquid posted)

for reference:

Up to now, the game does not interest me:
- Sticker are replaced by Card
- "You need stickers to fight the enemy replaced" by "You need paint and card to fight the enemy"
- A sticker fairy replaced by a paint bucket with a similar personality (both are useless)
- Horrible battle systems

I think they want to do a different concept with the Paper Mario series and the RPG concept will mostly be for Mario & Luigi games. I feel they only put Paper Mario in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam so those who play the Paper Mario games get familiarize to the Mario & Luigi series, so they buy this game if they want a Mario RPG.

So if that's what the Paper Mario series will be now on, I prefer to stay away from this. It's sad, because it is my favorite Mario series :(

So, people are complaining that Nintendo keeps calling color splash an action adventure game.

Turns out this goes farther back then we realized.

7804_back.jpg

it's looking better than sticker star but that's a pretty low bar

it certainly can be good but im going to believe anything until the reviews actually come out

sticker star looked decent up until release, too

winstein said:
I sympathise with Risa Tabata during her interview with GameXplain. Everything I hear in the interview, I can imagine some Paper Mario fans letting out a violent reaction, or at least cringing at what she said. True enough, the comments are generally spiteful, not only to the game, but also to Risa Tabata. It would be scary to imagine what would happen if those people are around that spot and what they would do to her. It's a miracle that she turned out fine, though the outrage might not be shown on video (then again, it must be my overreactive imagination).

While I'm not at all fond of Ms. Tabata's attitude towards the more "controversial" questions, I'm actually afraid for her that she could become the new Allison Rapp and be the scapegoat for all the game's problems. Color Splash haters could end up flinging their *bleep* at her when it's totally undeserved and eventually try to harass her just for making a game they don't like - especially since she's a woman. Because, you know, parts of the gaming community are kinda dumb that way.

Ryu said:
winstein said:

While I'm not at all fond of Ms. Tabata's attitude towards the more "controversial" questions, I'm actually afraid for her that she could end up the new Allison Rapp and be the scapegoat for all the game's problems, with Color Splash haters flinging their *bleep* at her when it's totally undeserved and eventually trying to harass her over the internet just for making a game they don't like - especially since she's a woman. Because, you know, parts of the gaming community are kinda dumb that way.

fun fax: The actual producer of the game (Kensuke Tanabe) is currently heading another controversial Nintendo sequel...

Back