Artwork hunting!

Mister Wu

King Bowser
Wiki Administrator
MarioWiki
Mister Wu
Sometime while surfing the internet (and even the Super Mario Wiki!)I stumble upon unseen before official-like artwork whose authenticity and source have not been confirmed as of yet.
This section is meant to deal with this kind of potential artwork that might be interesting for the gallery sections and sometimes even to have some more info on the physical appearance of some obscure characters!
Of course, everyone can post their cases here, as this section is meant as a hub for everyone to discuss these matters, not just for me!

That being said, here are the cases of today:

CASE 1: Another New Super Mario Bros. series artwork of Larry Koopa? Is it really posssible?
maxresdefault.jpg
Wow, it seems that another artwork of Larry Koopa from the New Super Mario bros. series was made, after all!

Of course, since we are talking about Larry koopa, the artwork is just the NSMBW artwork with the right arm part changed. The shading seems to work decently, so if this is photoshopped, quite a good work was made. Not to say that Nintendo isn't new to these kinds of operations of changing just a part of an artwork to create new artwork.

So what you think? Is it official? Where does this come from?

CASE 2: The shoeless Yoshi
tumblr_mq9gyp2Gsf1rrftcdo1_250.jpg
And now, this is fundamental. As far as I know, this is the only official-like image of a Yoshi foot, and is being used to describe Yoshi's physical appearance in the wiki, as a consequence. Another funny thing is that Yoshi cries without closing eyelids, but he has eyelids, so that could also clarify what happened to Iggy and Larry's eyelids (maybe they are still there, but the designers just don't want to draw them, actually if they wanted, they might even use the invisible nictitating membrane excuse to justify closed eyes without closed eyelid!).

Not to say that all around other awesome artwork can be seen (the Rex one, in particular).

So now, here are the questions: is it official? Where does it come from? The style is that of SMW official artwork, and it would seem a Japanese guide or art book related to that game (or Super Mario Advance 2).

I believe the words you're looking for are "render" for Larry and "illustration" for Yoshi.

And the latter looks like it came out of some sort of children's book or something. That looks like shiny cardboard rather than paper, but I could very well be wrong.

Borp said:
I believe the words you're looking for are "render" for Larry and "illustration" for Yoshi.
Yes, those can be considered all under the umbrealla term of "artwork" as it is being done in the wiki!

Borp said:
And the latter looks like it came out of some sort of children's book or something. That looks like shiny cardboard rather than paper, but I could very well be wrong.
I too noted that it doesn't seem paper at all, from the reflections.

Mister Wu said:
That being said, here are the cases of today:

CASE 1: Another New Super Mario Bros. series artwork of Larry Koopa? Is it really posssible?
maxresdefault.jpg
Wow, it seems that another artwork of Larry Koopa from the New Super Mario bros. series was made, after all!

Of course, since we are talking about Larry koopa, the artwork is just the NSMBW artwork with the right arm part changed. The shading seems to work decently, so if this is photoshopped, quite a good work was made. Not to say that Nintendo isn't new to these kinds of operations of changing just a part of an artwork to create new artwork.

So what you think? Is it official? Where does this come from?

That right arm job, even though it looks ok when you first glance at it, still looks too imperfect for me to seriously consider it as official artwork. The shading is still extremely bizarre, even though it's better than most artwork I have seen. Like, why is it so unnaturally dark? The light source is also on the upper left hand area, as well as being to the right of the image. Compare it to the official one, where the right arm is the correct shader:

443px-Larry_NSMBWii.png

This just tells me that it's very likely that your Koopaling artwork is just the official NSMBW one that is Frankensteined from another one.

Baby Luigi said:
This just tells me that it's very likely that your Koopaling artwork is just the official NSMBW one that is Frankensteined from another one.
You can also see transparency lines around the right arm, something that the rest of the artwork does not have.

Baby Luigi said:
That right arm job, even though it looks ok when you first glance at it, still looks too imperfect for me to seriously consider it as official artwork. The shading is still extremely bizarre, even though it's better than most artwork I have seen. Like, why is it so unnaturally dark? The light source is also on the upper left hand area, as well as being to the right of the image. Compare it to the official one, where the right arm is the correct shader:

443px-Larry_NSMBWii.png

The Pyro Guy said:
You can also see transparency lines around the right arm, something that the rest of the artwork does not have.
I would add that the arm doesn't seem aligned with the shoulder, so it's almost surely edited artwork here.

Regarding the second image, has someone any clue?

Mister Wu said:
CASE 2: The shoeless Yoshi
tumblr_mq9gyp2Gsf1rrftcdo1_250.jpg
And now, this is fundamental. As far as I know, this is the only official-like image of a Yoshi foot, and is being used to describe Yoshi's physical appearance in the wiki, as a consequence. Another funny thing is that Yoshi cries without closing eyelids, but he has eyelids, so that could also clarify what happened to Iggy and Larry's eyelids (maybe they are still there, but the designers just don't want to draw them, actually if they wanted, they might even use the invisible nictitating membrane excuse to justify closed eyes without closed eyelid!).

Not to say that all around other awesome artwork can be seen (the Rex one, in particular).

So now, here are the questions: is it official? Where does it come from? The style is that of SMW official artwork, and it would seem a Japanese guide or art book related to that game (or Super Mario Advance 2).
That's reading too far between the lines, IMO. Not to mention, the nictitating membrane is transparent/translucent (so if Yoshi did have one, his pupils will just look more hazy) and it also sweeps through the eyes horizontally rather than vertically like Yoshi's normal eyelids. The decision to draw eyes like this is a stylistic decision that's not much different from heart/swirly eyes, and besides, Diddy Kong closes his eyelids and also "closes" his pupils too.

SubspaceIntro-DiddyKong.png
DiddyKongHeadbuttMoon.png

I can't tell where this is from, unfortunately, but where is the source of this image?

Striker Mario said:
That's reading too far between the lines, IMO. Not to mention, the nictitating membrane is transparent/translucent (so if Yoshi did have one, his pupils will just look more hazy) and it also sweeps through the eyes horizontally rather than vertically like Yoshi's normal eyelids.
Definitely +1 for biological knowledge.

Striker Mario said:
The decision to draw eyes like this is a stylistic decision that's not much different from heart/swirly eyes, and besides, Diddy Kong closes his eyelids and also "closes" his pupils too.

SubspaceIntro-DiddyKong.png
DiddyKongHeadbuttMoon.png
Good that Yoshi is not an isolated case! That gives more hope to see Iggy and Larry's eyelids again (because from a characterisation point of view I think eyelids are more expressive than just the pupils assuming different shapes).

Striker Mario said:
I can't tell where this is from, unfortunately, but where is the source of this image?
If I am not mistaken, the first page in the Wiki this image was linked to is this: Yoshi_(species)#Physical_appearance

Well, yeah, but just to be fair, I read from the Wikipedia article AND I did see a nicitating membrane myself when I handled my sweet little cockatiel, just by gently drawing my finger close to her eye while we're handling her.

As someone who draws occasionally, I find sometimes it's better to use eyelids, sometimes it's better to use different pupils as expressions. I'm sure it's the same case here, and I do think the closed pupils conveys more childlike crying than closed eyelids (otherwise, Yoshi would look a bit too mad).

As for the source, it's not really useful since it's in the wiki, and the citation leads to the same link, which doesn't tell us much about its source. Anyhow, I could've sworn this image showed up in Supper Mario Broth at some point, but that'll take some digging...

Guys, I found it:
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Also, Wendy O. Koopa in the year 1998
$_57.JPG

Of course, Shogakukan in cooperation with Nintendo, so pretty much official material here.
Something tells me that I already found my next gold mine...

Back