Obscure Level Types

Lario

Seems so long ago.
Mario and company have gone into all kinds of environments. While some environments like plains, beaches, and volcano valleys are common, there are some environments that are rather uncommon; some have only been in one game yet! What are some of your favorite unique levels? For an example, I like the Painted Swampland environment from New Super Mario Bros. U. It's a neat take on what was already a fusion of two unique environments (jungle with poisonous waters and spooky places)

Chai Kingdom from Super Mario Land. For some reason, we get quite a few fan-made cover versions of its background music. I also like the Space and Japan themes from Newer Super Mario Bros. and I wish those were actually used in the main games.

Hey, sis, do you remember our conversation about new world themes? Like, an icy cyrovolcano that takes place in space? We could opt for theme-hybrids. Like a lava world that is Japan-themed or something.

Baby Luigi said:
Hey, sis, do you remember our conversation about new world themes? Like, an icy cyrovolcano that takes place in space? We could opt for theme-hybrids. Like a lava world that is Japan-themed or something.
I recall our idea of a world theme, where it is lava themed, but the volcano in the background spews out disco balls and searchlights instead of pyroclastic matter, and when the disco balls hit the ground, they cause the ground to change color and flash different colors similar to disco panels. The lava themselves resemble the stuff you see in lava lamps, and those flash different colors.

I like the more urban levels as seen Super Mario Sunshine. Ricco Harbor is my favorite level in that game. It was nice seeing Mario somewhere somewhat realistic. I'd love to see more levels like that in future Mario games.

Does the Wario Land series count? Cause 4 has a level set in a board game, complete with interactive dice blocks and random hazards. It also has levels set in a tower made of blocks, a notebook, a set of dominos, a pinball machine and what is probably meant to be hell.

If you want purely Mario examples... maybe the Macro Zone from Super Mario Land 2 would count. I mean, a world set in a house, where Mario is tiny and has to deal with normal sized animals as enemies? That's actually pretty original for a Mario game. Same with the last two turtle zone levels, which were set in a submarine and inside a whale respectively.

There was a city used in DK for the Game Boy that I think it kinda cool and should be used more often.

Back