Do you think the Mario franchise has "lost its magic"?

Besides, Splatoon will be Nintendo's go to third person shooter from now on.

Me personally I don't mind reusing basic formulas, I just want whats in those formulas to be distinct from their predecessors.

For example 3D World is a very similar experience to 3D Land yet at the same time there is a lot of stuff in it that helped it stand out from 3D Land.

Time Turner said:
Excuse me for jumping in here, but there's a bit of a contradiction between wanting the team to try new ideas while also wanting them to build on old ideas.
They're not wholly mutually exclusive. Building on old ideas can lead to new ideas or at least improve on the gameplay to make the game more interesting. Like the transition from Super Smash Bros. 64 to Melee or even some aspects of Super Mario Galaxy 2 (still hate that game) such as Beat-Blocks or Flip Panels, which were reused in the other games. Trying out new ideas absolutely does not mean ignoring the old stuff.

Mcmadness said:
Besides, Splatoon will be Nintendo's go to third person shooter from now on.
Yeah, but it shouldn't be the only one. If people are vying for a Sunshine sequel, then the third-person shooter route can definitely improve F.L.U.D.D.'s gameplay. Super Mario Sunshine already has some shooter elements, right? So no harm to go even further and refine it much more.

Eh, honestly fludd was the weaker part of that game. I more liked the actual jumping and bounding around the levels at my leisure.

Well, that's my point. F.L.U.D.D.'s gameplay could be drastically improved to the point where you have both platforming and shooting elements instead of a heavy emphasis on platforming and a clunky-to-control water thing.

I prefer when Mario focuses on the platforming.

Even so I still think games like SM64 are better than Galaxy.

Not perfect, but they're still a bunch of fun to mess around in.

honestly i prefer sm64/ds and sms way over galaxy.

Galaxy isnt bad mind you but i prefer sm64 and sms explorable design choices over smg's point a to point b design.

They're all pretty good though but i think the 3d platformers are generally better then the 2d games for sure.

I happily see that I'm not the only one who found the exploration-based stages of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine more interesting than the more linear stages that started to appear in Super Mario Galaxy and then became the norm in the 3D Super Mario games ;)

It became evident for me when, while I was playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, I tested GCN game recording through analog cables and started a new file in Super Mario Sunshine...

I used to only like SM64 and sunshine due to their more open nature.

Then I realized I was basically doing the exact same path every time I replayed em, the only time the openness really mattered was when I was just screwing around.

Mister Wu said:
I happily see that I'm not the only one who found the exploration-based stages of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine more interesting than the more linear stages that started to appear in Super Mario Galaxy and then became the norm in the 3D Super Mario games ;)

I also feel the same thing about the linear thing and not only to the 3D Super Mario games.
- 3D Mario games starting with Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Galaxy was little different, the Comet Observatory was like Delfino Plaza to Sunshine)
- Paper Mario series starting with Super Paper Mario
- Mario Party series starting with Mario Party 9
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was little linear (separate by levels)

And I start to think that if they make a Super Mario Galaxy 3 on NX, they will do the same to the first two, but the levels are going to end with a Goal Pole and each level will have a time limit. It became not only the norm to the 3D Mario games, but to various Mario series.

I like the design of the first two games as well. Granted, 64 and Sunshine did have their own "floating landmassses in the middle of nowhere" but the two had relatively big areas to walk around in especially compared to the later 3D Mario games. None are truly open world, but I think 64 and Sunshine had a better-looking environment.

Mister Wu said:
Aren't Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine the exceptions when it comes to the Mario series? Pretty much every main game before and since has been linear, barring the occasional hidden exit and shortcut.

Pretty much. And that's what made them interesting.

Clearly the only solution is to have Bowser take over as the main character. This is surely a decision that everybody would accept with open arms.

But then they might risk harming her precious pink posterior.

Mcmadness said:
But then they might risk harming her precious pink posterior.

i wouldnt mind really, peach actually rocks when she actually does something at least.

Peach is fine whether she gets kidnapped or not if you ask me.

Mcmadness said:
Clearly the only solution is to have Bowser take over as the main character. This is surely a decision that everybody would accept with open arms.
Considering what happened when I played Super Paper Mario, a Super Mario-style game with Bowser as main character could be a day-one buy, especially if they put in it an interesting story (because it is no longer a Super Mario game) and if Bowser talks (P.S: don't take me wrong, I don't want a Super Paper Mario-like game with Bowser as main character)... a game with Bowser as main character is quite overdue, by the way, if we look at how much time it took for Wario to become a main character.

Time Turner said:
Mister Wu said:
Aren't Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine the exceptions when it comes to the Mario series? Pretty much every main game before and since has been linear, barring the occasional hidden exit and shortcut.
They surely are the exception now, and the interesting thing is that Super Mario 64 is the last Super Mario game directed only by Miyamoto, with a recently discovered interview showing that he decided to make a game based on "freedom" opposed to some classical Super Mario series' gameplay principles on purpose.

Mcmadness said:
Peach is fine whether she gets kidnapped or not if you ask me.

yeah she is great but id like her to be more involved like she was in spp or 3d world.

Yeah getting involved is cool. I'm just one of those people who doesn't mind if she does get captured.

Back