Like system

Is adding a "like system" a good idea?

• Total voters
i say we treat it like we treat posts that only say "trifecta" in the awards

tell them to stop, and if they don't we take measures

Then the like system should have a limit of likes per day a user can add, and a limit on how many given to a post in a day too.

If a "Like" or "Thank You" system were implemented, which I think would be okay, there should be no arbitrary restrictions on the system itself. I agree with Tucayo, 2257, Glowsquid, and Stargazing. The current forum rules would cover anybody who constantly posts about receiving or not receiving likes - just treat those posts like any other spam.

Majora's Mask said:
Then the like system should have a limit of likes per day a user can add, and a limit on how many given to a post in a day too.

What problem would even be fixed by imposing such a limit? It seems to me like an imaginary one.

honestly though i'm impartial to the idea. we've done fine without one so far but i'm not against it because it does have benefits (less shitposting like glowsquid said)

so long as it's just a like system and not a +1/-1 shitfest i don't really see the issue with implementing one aside from the forum's capability (which iirc was a big strike against it last time this topic came up)

Agree with what most have been saying. There's nothing inherently bad about it, and I have faith that most sensible people here would not freak out over likes. I also agree that those complaining about not getting enough likes would be treated like just another shitpost or spam.

Of course, there's not an intense need for it either. We get along just fine without it. I can see the benefits though. It's a simple way to say "nice post" without making unnecessary replies.

If a like system is all it takes to break us apart, then it's a fucking miracle we haven't all abandoned this place years ago.

Glowsquid said:
Though I doubt the outcome will be different (iirc Steve's objection to a like system is aesthetic rather than concern about user's behaviours), I'll reiterate my support for a like system. People say "oh but it's gonna cause popularity contests/make people resentful" but I never observed that on forums that uses a simple like system. It's negative ratings (as well as "neutral" ratings that can be taken the wrong way) that cause problems.

2257 droppin' truth bombs.

GBAToad said:
if you want a like system then just quote someone's post, add 'i like this' and post it. it is a foolproof alternative that allows you to give people your fake internet praise and will make you very popular and liked trust me

People quote this, but this is one of my reason to get a like system. Frees up threwads from being cluttered by low-content "I like this", "this is funny" posts.

Excellent post.

I still think a like system is a good idea, but I also agree that there shouldn't be a dislike system. We'd probably have to deal with users who would dislike every single post another user made.

I'm still against it. See my last post in this thread for what I think it would turn into.

I don't see a problem with it, dislikes obviously would cause problems but I can't say I've seen a like system cause any problems, if anything it's an easy way to 'reward' (if you can call it that) someone for writing something up that might have helped out someone who was confused or even if you just agree with someone that took the time to explain how they feel about a certain topic.

anyway the point is a like system won't create competition on a place like a forum, they hold no value worth competing over. They just make you feel good about contributing.

I'm indifferent about whether it's implemented or not though. It's not necessary but it'd be a welcome addition.

Perhaps only users with 2 or more stars can use it, to prevent bots liking their own posts multiple times.

If I were for this - and again, I'm still not - I'd implement a "1 like per person system" to avoid the same person liking their own post a bunch of times.

For those supporters out there.

SMF's "Thank You" mod only allows one like per user per post.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=257
That's not compatible with our version, but it's just an example

The Pyro Guy said:
Perhaps only users with 2 or more stars can use it, to prevent bots liking their own posts multiple times.
Bots would be nonetheless blocked.

I think the like system wouldn't cause too many people to feel unreasonably competitive like some people are suggesting. However, I think that just in case, mods should be allowed to give warnings to or ban people if they act too obnoxiously jealous.

How would this be inplemented?

My thoughts.

I actually like the idea, but after some thought, I do believe a "like" counter that everyone can see creates competition and is overall unnecessary. Sometimes, when I create a new topic, I really hope it becomes popular. Though some of them do, many understandably don't take off. Now, imagine there is this "like" system. You have your 1-2 likes topic next to this 300 likes topic made by somebody else. Feels pretty bad, doesn't it? It's bad enough you have like three replies while the next has eighty, and the like system just rubs in. Seriously, if you want to judge how much people "like" a topic or a post, just see how many replies have been dedicated to it. And please don't even consider creating dislikes.

On the other hand, have any of you guys considered implementing the "thank you" system they have on Wikipedia and adapting to for MarioWiki?

You know, I don't think competition is necessarily a bad thing. If a person is feeling bad because they aren't getting enough likes, they'll be motivated to make better posts so that they can earn them.

Kylo Ren said:
You know, I don't think competition is necessarily a bad thing. If a person is feeling bad because they aren't getting enough likes, they'll be motivated to make better posts so that they can earn them.

Yes, but the cons outweigh the pros by a lot.

Still, YouTube and other websites have like systems, and considering that there haven't been too many problems with jealousy on those websites, I don't see why it would be any worse here.

Mary Berry said:
Kylo Ren said:

Yes, but the cons outweigh the pros by a lot.
How does one person throwing a hissy over not getting Likes outweigh the pros

Back