Like system

Is adding a "like system" a good idea?

• Total voters
We should make the heart symbol like the ones from TTYD and the YI theme should have the stars that act like Yoshi's HP.

Chiaki Nanami said:
We should make the heart symbol like the ones from TTYD and the YI theme should have the stars that act like Yoshi's HP.
You mean like the ones with the eyes?

Well, a heart symbol means "love it!" while a thumbs-up symbol would convey more of a "like." We're probably the only website in existence that uses a heart symbol for a "like." The contradiction of having a heart symbol and the word "like" pasted next to it makes my head want to explode. Okay, maybe not.

But seriously, the heart button is most closely connected to a "Love" button, which many websites have. Even though in practical use it's the same, it just looks a little unusual.

As you can tell, I'm a pretty nitpicky person.

Andymii said:
Well, a heart symbol means "love it!" while a thumbs-up symbol would convey more of a "like." We're probably the only website in existence that uses a heart symbol for a "like." The contradiction of having a heart symbol and the word "like" pasted next to it makes my head want to explode. Kinda.

As you can tell, I'm a pretty nitpicky person.
tumblr uses hearts (I think) and twitter uses them for favouriting tweets

Plus, hearts don't really fit the theme, and the brown color of the box of likers breaks what originally is a pretty clean gray-and-red coloration. In my opinion, it's very unsatisfying to look at.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the number of likers next to the button. It's cleaner and simpler that way. But I guess the current way is fine as well. Just the coloration.

this is a likable feature

Lakituthequick said:
I saw this post before you edited it and I'm going to thank you anyway.
i changed it because i thought someone would get butthurt that i didn't just like your post instead
no problem btw

Chiaki Nanami said:
Kotori Minami said:
Lakituthequick said:
I saw this post before you edited it and I'm going to thank you anyway.
i changed it because i thought someone would get butthurt that i didn't just like your post instead
no problem btw
the meta is already developing

but i'm already developed

Is there a way to show how many likes a post has, out of curiosity?

now to make
6e3dcmM.png
part of the smiley list

Kotori Minami said:
tbh this is my biggest problem here
I'm in a similar boat in that I can get behind the system, don't care about counts or whatever, and am totally cool with a heart being the symbol next to the button (looks pretty good, actually), but the boxes stand out so much, even with the normal background. I thought it'd be something more like the Xephyr Board: just am unassuming list of names. But I guess we're stuck with whatever SMF has set up in this day and age (as opposed to Xephyr's 2011 2.0.3 edition)? Hopefully it'll be less jarring after we get used to it...

I have to agree. I thought the likes would be like :)dk:) in Smogon where they're pretty subtle but there, but I find these a bit distracting.

Back