Debate: Do you consider SM64DS to be a remake or an enhanced port?

Do you think it is a remake or an enhanced port?

• It's a remake because it has all the characteristics of a remake. New Areas, extra content, and new

Votes: 31 96.9%
  • It's an enhanced port because it hasn't been rebuilt from the ground up.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
I've heard many debates going on about SM64DS being a enhanced port or a pure remake. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm surprised no one called it an enhanced port here.

It's a superior remake.

I know, there are some people who call out heresy.

Dr. Mario said:
It's a superior remake.

I know, there are some people who call out heresy.

Other than controls and not starting out as Mario, I'm inclined to agree.

I'd say it's more of an Enhanced Port with extras for me anyway. For me to make it a remake would be to really update everything graphically. Say remaking it on 3D World's graphic engine with smoothed out level designs.

well its enhanced, but there are new things i dont really care for.

The main factor that you need certain characters to get certain stars, personally i like selecting characters and sticking to them, because thats just how i am, and since certain characters only get certain power ups and have certain features that get them to certain areas, it bothers me and i dont really care for it.

I loathe the fact that wario is pathetic, and probably the only thing he's good for is getting into certain areas that only he can access, which irritates me. As if you play the wario land games as well as wario world, he has decent speed and decent jump, this is not the case in sm64ds, and its actually painful to use him due to how pathetic both his speed and his jump is.

Controls didnt really bother me, as ive played with way worse then that before, so.

Didnt really like the new bosses, once again in a mario game the bosses were a joke, not interesting, and just BLEH. The areas they're in is also not that great really.

Overall its not a bad remake and ive played worse anyway(looking at you ff1gba remake). But i still find the original to be more fun, so there ya go, thats my view.

Let the hate and insults commence.

I loved SM64DS but hot damn, Luigi is OP, and Mario has a quite a few important, required stars (wall-jumping, Balloon, Wing Cap). You can get through the majority of the game with just those two. Yoshi can use caps, but those are temporary; you can retrieve the caps once you get hit, but that's a bother (and some stun animations are so long that the cap disappears once you get up, especially that one where he faceplants, gets up, touches his face or something, and then stands), and he can't access the Boo level at all. Not to mention an annoying voice.

For as much as I love 64DS, I always hated how the game force you to use one of the four respective power for a single mission as basically a key to the Power Star. More often than not, they don't do anything original with the powers and it feels more like they want to make you run around for the right cap just to get a Power Star. Through the Jet Stream (Through the Jet Stream (Jolly Roger Bay)) is the first example I can think of: the mission pops up long before Wario can be unlocked, and Wario's involvement in the mission is just "use your power for a free star" which is frustratingly annoying.

Yeah, I hated missions like Yoshi's Ice Sculpture and those stupid black brick blocks like the one in the boo level that covered a Star switch. It's worse that the cap doesn't really appear (or it's a stupid Yoshi level; just let us use his damn saddle next time or something) in that boo level as far as I remember so you have to use that fat thing. Ugh.

I think SM64DS makes the original look unfinished. Plus :peach: with a ponytail is what makes this more special.

SM64DS might be a mix of both a remake and an enhanced port. It's easy for a novice to consider it a remake.

Well, saying whether it's a remake or a port means nothing in regards to quality.

It's a remake because it was remade, not ported, so it's not a port. Simple as that. Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is a remake as well, because it was remade from scratch despite all the similarities. Zelda TPHD is also a remake.

Quality will, of course, vary, but by definition a remake is when you literally remake a game from scratch and a port is when you grab the original game and port it's code for it to work on another environment.

Time Turner said:
Maria Renard said:
It's easy for a novice to consider it a remake.
So someone who isn't a novice wouldn't consider the game a remake?
They're either people who know about what it takes for a game to be considered a remake or an enhanced port. It's easy for anyone to get confused due to the changed content and additional content.

A remake.

The game has the base of the original but everything else is pretty much retouched , changed , added and reconstructed.

Kinda like Resident Evil 1 and the REMAKE for GCN.

Cynder said:
Surprised no one has at least jokingly said it was a worsened port.
when you get to play as Wario and Yoshi in a remake of SM64, even though they might be 100% useless or even detrimental to the gameplay, you just don't manage to say worse not even when joking, and there's no improbable control system able to influence that. Plus, Luigi this time is in the game!

Only 1 person on the poll here considered SM64DS to be an enhanced port while most people think it is a remake.

Mister Wu said:
Cynder said:
Surprised no one has at least jokingly said it was a worsened port.
when you get to play as Wario and Yoshi in a remake of SM64, even though they might be 100% useless or even detrimental to the gameplay, you just don't manage to say worse not even when joking, and there's no improbable control system able to influence that. Plus, Luigi this time is in the game!
I mean that's my argument but others don't see it that way.

I find Super Mario 64 DS to be a remake with new features and courses. However, the Bowser fights are easier in the DS remake, because Bowser takes longer to attack than in the original Super Mario 64.

Back