Are newer characters not wanted in spinoffs?

Borp said:
It wasn't "quick" in the slightest. They milk it for all its worth in everything he appears in in Japan.

*she

Nintendo does have quite the knack of placing unnecessary characters in spinoffs, new or old. Super Mario 3D World was only about 2 years old, as of the release of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. 3D World is still new to an extent and Nintendo did include a Sprixie Princess in Ultra Smash. While completely unnecessary, the Sprixies were still new and have only appeared in 3 games.

I don't even get this mentality at all. Yeah, they are new. So what? Are they not allowed to appear in more games because of this?

How are characters supposed to catch on if they only appear once?

The Golden Yoshi said:
Nintendo does have quite the knack of placing unnecessary characters in spinoffs, new or old. Super Mario 3D World was only about 2 years old, as of the release of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. 3D World is still new to an extent and Nintendo did include a Sprixie Princess in Ultra Smash. While completely unnecessary, the Sprixies were still new and have only appeared in 3 games.
Well, I don't see why new and apparently unnecessary characters must not reappear. Bowser Jr. was playable a year after Super Mario Sunshine in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and might have been deemed unnecessary since there were already 7 other Bowser's children who weren't almost copycat of Baby Bowser. Yet I don't think it was a bad idea in the grand scheme of things. Over the years, Bowser Jr. has become an interesting character, as Paper Jam showed us.

P.S.: I was ninja'd by Magikrazy...

Baby Luigi said:
I'm pretty sure the answer is not because of the new characters being in spin-offs, it's because they omitted various veterans instead and that people want to scapegoat the newcomers for the characters' absences. Take Mario Kart 7 for example. Honey Queen is a new character, one of the most recent ones, yet many people hate her because she's an anomaly and a weird choice, a unique roster choice. Developers chose her for a heavyweight because they wanted a heavy character who wasn't "rowdy" (aside from Rosalina). But guess who was also gone from that game? Waluigi, Toadette, Bowser Jr., Birdo, and other fan favorites, hence why people direct their frustration towards Honey Queen.

For Mario Kart 8, the absence of such characters made people hate the Koopalings and the characters who are actually new to the Mario franchise (but then again, crap like Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina kinda deserve fan contempt).

And same thing with Ultra Smash. It's not just Sprixie Princess being a bad inclusion, it's because of the overall skimpy character roster and other veterans that were omitted.

You see my point here?

Birdo was never a highly popular character. I wouldn't be surprised if she got the axe. I'm not saying that I would want her to receive the axe though

Pretty much this. And now all of the Birdo fans are coming out of the woodworks to complain about it.

Dr. Mario said:
her transgenderism is censored

Raigh said:
I think Vivian is definitely a much better representation (aside from the English version), but Birdo is okay, plus her transgenderism was only censored in SMB2 where it basically said the most offensive thing you could say to a transgender woman ("he thinks he's a girl, but is really a boy). I also find Birdo slightly cute.

I'm going to side with Raigh here. I think you're confusing Birdo with Vivian. Birdo was just later exclusively referred to as her identified gender: female, which is more politically correct.

And speaking of Vivian, in NoA's defense, American society's view on the transgender community was much, much different in 2004 compared to 2015. If the game gets remade, I'm 90% sure they'll uncensor it.

The Golden Yoshi said:

3? I only know 3D World and Ultra Smash.

On another note, there was a rumor flying around that Birdo would be in MK8 as DLC, but that was debunked.

Borp said:
Unless Birdo personally corrects me, I'll call him whatever I feel like.
giphy.gif

it's outright stated in the Super Mario Bros. 2 booklet that she prefers to be called "Birdetta"

YoshiCookie said:
Dr. Mario said:

Raigh said:
I think Vivian is definitely a much better representation (aside from the English version), but Birdo is okay, plus her transgenderism was only censored in SMB2 where it basically said the most offensive thing you could say to a transgender woman ("he thinks he's a girl, but is really a boy). I also find Birdo slightly cute.

I'm going to side with Raigh here. I think you're confusing Birdo with Vivian. Birdo was just later exclusively referred to as her identified gender: female, which is more politically correct.

And speaking of Vivian, in NoA's defense, American society's view on the transgender community was much, much different in 2004 compared to 2015. If the game gets remade, I'm 90% sure they'll uncensor it.

No, both are censored. Birdo would probably still end up getting censored today, because we still live with bigoted idiots who think children shouldn't be exposed to a perfectly natural condition.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Borp said:
Unless Birdo personally corrects me, I'll call him whatever I feel like.
giphy.gif

it's outright stated in the Super Mario Bros. 2 booklet that she prefers to be called "Birdetta"
I do wish they would use the name more (or at least a name at all, like Cathy or Shelly) so the Birdo species can return without more confusion. Because for real, when was the last time we saw a Birdo that wasn't the pink and possibly transgendered one with the engagement ring for some reason.

Nintendo is not exactly the most progressive company around, and I don't know if they've gotten any better with their treatment of trans issues. Birdetta's depiction in Captain Rainbow is one of the most deplorable treatments of a trans character I have ever seen, even worse than Grand Theft Auto.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Nintendo is not exactly the most progressive company around, and I don't know if they've gotten any better with their treatment of trans issues.

This is the same company that got rid of homosexual marriage in Tomodachi Life. I doubt they've gotten better with their treatment of transgenderd people.

She's given a deep, booming voice for one, but is the centre of a horrid mission where she gets arrested for using female toilets and begs you to find proof that she's female... in the form of a censored vibrator. It's utterly putrid.

I think Yoshi is technically transgender (though I couldn't say if it's a good portrayal or not) since his Japanese Melee trophy says the whole race is biologically genderless, but in Brawl Otacon implies that the Yoshi we see most often identifies as male. Maybe that's a factor in his and Birdo's friendship maybe I'm making connections where there weren't supposed to be any I don't know.

I've always called Yoshi a he because in the rare in-game reference it says he did whatever

SiFi said:
I think Yoshi is technically transgender (though I couldn't say if it's a good portrayal or not) since his Japanese Melee trophy says the whole race is biologically genderless, but in Brawl Otacon implies that the Yoshi we see most often identifies as male. Maybe that's a factor in his and Birdo's friendship maybe I'm making connections where there weren't supposed to be any I don't know.
I'd say that transgender is different from genderless, but I think we are going OT and also with quite aggressive tones here so maybe it's better to return to the main topic of this thread.

It makes much more sense if Yoshi was biologically female, but if it was biologically male, then it wouldn't throw out my calcified and spray-painted excrement explanation. But either way, you don't make eggs right after you eat something just as much as women don't ovulate and get menstrual cycles after every dinner. But you DO have to end up going to to the toilet eventually after dinner, so there's that.

Magikrazy said:
I don't even get this mentality at all. Yeah, they are new. So what? Are they not allowed to appear in more games because of this?

How are characters supposed to catch on if they only appear once?

Every roster should be made of 40 different variations of Mario

Kind of a late response to this, but I'm going to say anyway.

YoshiCookie said:
Dr. Mario said:

Raigh said:

I say "censored" because the issue is dodged a lot of times instead of straight-up addressing it, which leads to confusion to an already-uneducated public about transgenderism. A lot of people think Birdo is a cisgender female in the Birdo debate only because she dresses as a feminine character; no mention of her gender identification (I was in that camp previously because I myself was uneducated; now I say Birdo is female because she identifies herself as one, and learning about transgenderism more, we should respect that choice even if it's "just" a video game character). The Birdo gender jokes used to be funny to me, but now, not so much anymore.

Today, it's improved, but we still have a lot of insensitive comments such as Borp's comment. I don't think Borp has intended to be disrespectful, but has displayed ignorance in the subject, and that's what's going to happen if you're going to censor sensitive issues. I still think transgenderism is going to remain censored just as how gay marriage was in Tomodachi Life. I also think Brawl's depiction of Birdo is pretty nasty, which just looks like gross ignorance as well.

Mcmadness said:
Every roster should be made of 40 different variations of Mario
Sure, I support that. :luigi:

Back