The Pyr-art Guy

im back in business

zN3znGu.png

Super Knight redux

within the shallow waters of my spare time i can conjure up more knights

Z08BFnS.png

Hoard Knight Redux

another year, another time where i prepare three art things in advance for the community awards dossier
and also take a chance to reflect on how i've improved from last year

cAx6Ua0.png
in comparison to last year's character portrait image, i can personally vouch for significant improvements. i've learnt how to successfully implement normal maps and roughness maps onto models, and i started to use a new material that has 'true' lighting properties such as polygons being more reflective the more perpendicular to the camera they are

other things include lighting fixes and rim lighting which i didnt really do last year

EnTvYiy.png
i would compare this one to the more compositional piece from last year, and again i can say ive improved a lot. as well as the improvements i already mentioned, i'm now more confident in various material and node editing, such as the ghost-like material on the ghost, and the volumetric atmosphere (god rays). i also learnt to use a denoiser to reduce render times and improve quality, etc.

on a more general note i think model posing has gotten better (see- wario's crumpled legs in the old render) and i think the new stuff is just more well-arranged honestly

P1AyH6t.png

i would say my 2D work hasn't improved as significantly as my 3D work but i still want to showcase everything i'm capable of in the dossier. i guess i've gotten more confident in the line work, as i can see that this 2017 thing is really shaky and messy. to compare, i'd like to say that my newer work is a lot smoother and tidier. fun fact im actually able to fill colour between the lines now? incredible

i've also got something pretty big in the works. sort of a sequel to the art gallery but this time round its more than just a cube. probably gonna hold off from posting it and save it as a surprise for whichever awards presentation i plan to use it in

fun fact im actually able to fill colour between the lines now? incredible

Even funnier fact you’re actually the one who gave me that tip about the colors between the lines before you made that fire flower.

Anyway, sure does look better! Making progress man!

here's a little (unfinished) something, you may recognise it if you played shroom killing game

it's a 25% storyboard, 75% animation of my onion kill on night 2. enjoy!

so this was originally going to be my art contest entry, but as time went on i realised that i wouldn't be able to find a suitable balance between making sure it could render within a reasonable time, and making sure the video is at a good resolution and rendering quality

so i put together the scenes i did have and filled in the rest with quick drawings to get the general idea across

there's some cool stuff in there. the glass breaking is the highlight and it took a while to fine-tune it. i also used a previous model of the shroom hq exterior, and created a new model for the interior hallway.

so give it a watch. perhaps put it on mute if you dont want to hear 90 seconds of shitty stock sound effects i found on youtube lol

gonna talk a bit about my art contest entry

its based on my execution gbatoad wrote for shroom killing game, with a few changes. i swapped molten plastic for lava since i thought it'd look more dangerous and interesting, i removed the monopoochies because they would have been difficult to implement in the time i had, and i changed up the second half to have more things going on.

over the last few months i've learned how to create more dynamic animation features, such as fire, particle effects (like sparks) and objects crumbling; i wanted to implement all of those into one set, which is why i had the plastic shy guy sort of explode like that. the rubble would also turn out to be a good way to trap TPG on the conveyor belt as the hood gets caught under a piece.

making the factory itself was relatively simple, i used a couple of assets from cancelled projects such as the doors or lights, and animating was also easier than i predicted as i didn't use 3D models for characters which reduced a lot of the work needed. really, the only problem i had was having to render everything at a suitable quality in time. render farms ended up not being an option so i had to make some sacrifices to the resolution so i could render scenes overnight.

the biggest shame out there is that i made a bunch of things for the contest but didn't use them because i wasnt happy with how they turned out

D0PqcVT.png

XAwi2Q6.png

ZfQDhRL.png

RYHzBj2.png

axLLAAf.png

there's also some other things but i lost the textures for them so now they're just pink blobs

thanks for coming to my ted talk

Cap'n Cuttlefish said:
Heartbreaking: Onion kills Australian
Wow, this is amazing. You modelled the building and made elevator lights and everything, why didn't anyone tell me about this? Pretty awesome job, wish I could model and animate stuff like that. Keep it up .

SBWpo4j.png

not pictured: the new princeton version i built that looks like ass

alright so i guess i made a dating sim and people are probably going to ask 'why'

'why tpg'

so here's the backstory

The date is the thirteenth of April, 2018. After nearly six years of developing a 2.5 million dollar game, the company What Pumpkin Studios had finally realised they were better off releasing smaller, shorter games. So, Hiveswap Friendsim: Volume 1 arrived, and I'm probably the only one here who played it, being the final active user here with any hope of the Homestuck franchise getting better.

Anyway I played the game and enjoyed it a lot, and as the later volumes arrived the concept stuck in my head. Now fast forward to May 27th, 2018. I see GBAToad posting about high contrast pictures of fruit in lb's discord

HPuodaE.png

I thought it was funny, and then it somehow clicked that I could make him say that in a dating sim game. So I downloaded a thing called renpy and made a short sequence in about an hour

unknown.png

Of course, it had no actual quality and it was more of a joke. However, I did note to myself to experiment with this for the Awards.

Anway moving on to July. I was gonna do a thing for Cwhatever favourite artist where you date the nominees, but it was taken and I only had a five minute slot for each presentation and it takes about 20 minutes to unzip the damn game. So I didn't think about it until I netted M30 as a backup presenter. I now had a longer slot since it was the final presentation, but also the nominees are video games. Literal video games, not characters. I still went with it because I thought it was perhaps even more silly.

The first hurdle was remembering how to use renpy, so after that I just wrote it up using placeholder images and stock backgrounds.

CArUhrn.png

It looked like this. Fortunately I redid all the assets and made the backgrounds myself later on after Anton beta-tested it. I drew the characters myself and the backgrounds are mostly from older projects that I retextured to look nicer. E.g. the hallway is from 'Misplaced Onion Kills Australian' and the theatre is from my C15 one. I stole the music.

By the way Anton's in the game

wNTXjxW.png

Cute

Originally each path had the same ending where you/I just... read out the results... but then I redid it so that you only get the placement for the game you dated, and there are cute ending images.

lJ3Pujb.png

>when you dont get presentations in on time

Anyway I had a lot of fun making this and I hope everyone enjoyed it, it's a silly little thing but I worked hard on it. Enjoy.

LdYiyYF.png

0jGBfik.png

fWTObso.png

wNTXjxW.png

WfeUlDh.png

chhq00j.png

5V7CZPe.png

lJ3Pujb.png

QXLF5DS.png

G5CBKII.png

jRqJ90Y.png

This was the first Dating Sim I've ever played. Now if anyone asks me if I've ever played a Dating Sim, I'll have to say that I played one where you date Mario games... Truth is stranger than fiction.

Okay time to talk about the other ones I did

So the year is 2018 and I was trying to make the cameras in Blender NOT function like ass. Several random button clicks later and suddenly the render looks something like this:

ujeUwIP.png

I do some Googling and it turns out I could convert that into the YouTube 360 video gimmick.

This was a test run I did about half a year ago.

I also did this. You might be able to tell I use the same space background for everything.

Uhh anyway like the dating sim thing, I thought it was cool and I think GBAToad recommended I do something like that for Awards. Then, in Awards season I absentmindedly sign up for C11 and decide to make that one have the 360 shtick. One test build later and

The floor was different and the sky was less colourful but it was there. The music is the same, but more bass boosted here- if you can find out where the music is from then good job! In the final version I increased the resolution to about 400% of what it was there, and was able to bypass the increased render times using a cool trick.

Normally all the slow render times comes from the renderer having to calculate light paths, shadows, reflections, etc. I decided to make every single object exclusively emit light. Now there are no shadows or light paths since emitting objects don't receive light, only emit it. Now each frame takes seconds to finish, rather than the hours I was used to.

So after I knew to myself that the thing worked, I started adding the content we all crave. Some vapourwave cubes, a more aesthetic floor, the minecraft yoshi thing, and funky moving text.

qqZRHZ0.png

I don't know why the monkeys are there. It's the C11 equivalent of 'holds up spork'. Is being randum funny yet guys

The giant spinning LTQ at the end was a last minute addition. I was going to make it just the poem at the top but then I thought that I could make it worse. So, I downloaded the lowest-quality Lakitu model around, being the one from Mario Kart 7. I then subdivided all the polygons so it looked smoother. He also ended up looking like a baby. Cute.

Finally I slowed it down to 15 FPS so no one would know if YouTube was lagging or if the video was bad. Sorry suckers, I'm just bad at making content. Your PCs are fine.

F3 and C6 are simple stories and comics. Not much background behind them, apart from that F3 was originally going to be some art before I realised they didn't look good enough.

There's not much to say about M26 other than I really like it? I reworked a 'sparks' particle system I did for my Art Contest entry to make the fireworks. The city is actually a retextured Neo Bowser City. Incredible.

IyWgzj6.png

C1HX6kiXcAQmGkp-890x606.jpg

I don't think anyone caught the parallel. The artwork is meant to be like the classic LoZ artwork that got reused for BotW.

Finally, C15. I actually made the bulk of the content a while ago, which I alluded to in May.

[quote author=me]i've also got something pretty big in the works. sort of a sequel to the art gallery but this time round its more than just a cube. probably gonna hold off from posting it and save it as a surprise for whichever awards presentation i plan to use it in[/quote]

Presenting... Mario Awards Theatre.

vJh1gJF.png

2 years ago I did a similar thing with the Favourite Character award. Difference is, back then I didn't know how to model so I stole a theatre from a website. At least I gave credit back then, huh.

However, this time I made it myself! All of it.

vQBGilo.png

I started with making the general shape of it to get the proportions right. It ended up being about 2 times taller in the final version but other than that it's got the same sort of shape.

INTjH4i.png

This is the base for the model, with just the general structure. All of the wall lights are in place here, but the spotlights were added after this.

vEAFVGq.png

Then, I put in all the extra stuff- curtains, pipes, scaffolding, curtains, and a big flashy sign. Nice! Most of it is just cylinders, though. The curtains may look like there's two of them, but there's only really one. I added a 'mirror' modifier to it, so the second curtain is just a reflection of the original.

I like the graphics of the picture and waiting for its next result to arrive.
Well, Currently what type of game are you guys playing?

JamesHorner said:
I like the graphics of the picture and waiting for its next result to arrive.
Well, Currently what type of game are you guys playing?
thanks james horner, i'm playing the type of games that have knight in the title

dFhYqmh.png

i love these things so much

Shroom2019_Raregold.png

Shroom_2019_MsRetroGeek.png

unknown.png

0001.png

atHroCM.png

so the homestuck epilogue began today, did a doodle of one of the scenes that hit hard

Back