How are things going in school right now?

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
For me, things are going pretty good. Here are my grades. I have a 94% in Language Arts, a 95% in Science, and a 98% in Social Studies and Math. My parents usually give me 10 dollars for every A I get in those subjects for each quarter in school, and the 1st quarter is almost over, so I'm probably going to get 40 dollars, unless something really bad happens. Still, I can't help but feel that it's unfair that my parents get 60 dollars for each hour that they work, and I only get 40 dollars for each NINE WEEKS.

Way to brag.

I never got paid for my good grades until university (in-course scholarships for yearly 3.5+ GPAs). Of course, before Grade 11, the only good that comes out of getting good grades is the practice it gives you for getting good grades in the years it actually matters. As long as you don't burn yourself out in high school and then fizzle out in university once shit gets hard, anyway.

In fact, in the grand scheme of things, daily homework is a waste of time and they should get rid of it for anything below high school at the very least - and really, the only subjects it ever made sense for (at any grade and at the university level) was stuff that requires book reading or practice/memorization (languages, math, musical instruments). Periodic projects and studying for tests make sense; busywork just wrecks childhood.

i had a pretty bad cold all last week so this week is catching up

College is much more work, but it's generally so much easier for me. I burnt out in high school, took nearly a year off, attended college at spring semester with only one class (with plans to transfer), and the workload feels more manageable, and my G.P.A.'s so much better.

Walkazo said:
In fact, in the grand scheme of things, daily homework is a waste of time and they should get rid of it for anything below high school at the very least - and really, the only subjects it ever made sense for (at any grade and at the university level) was stuff that requires book reading or practice/memorization (languages, math, musical instruments). Periodic projects and studying for tests make sense; busywork just wrecks childhood.
Homework's the reason I got a 4 on my English AP test but I failed the class. But I was a G.A.T.E. kid (I hated the program lol) who wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until middle school. I dread homework. I prefer reading the actual book over mulling over daily assignments.

What I hated in high school and middle school were notebook checks, like you have to organize your notebook, handouts, notes, (and even homework!) in a specific way and it's always so stressful since I keep misplacing my stuff and I'm not exactly the tidiest student, and I have always said, "What the hell is the point of this!?"

There's hardly anything to like about high school or middle school except awesome teachers and a few good students to have around. Elementary school kinda sucked too.

Only time I got below a 4 in anything written was for my English diagnostic that didn't count. I can just check my marks online, but the only updated one if Geography. I get my progress report this or next week, anyways.

Dr. Mario said:
Homework's the reason I got a 4 on my English AP test but I failed the class. But I was a G.A.T.E. kid (I hated the program lol) who wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until middle school. I dread homework. I prefer reading the actual book over mulling over daily assignments.

Gifted and Talented Education is just a horrible excuse to give kids who perform well even more freaking work to do. Like, hey, man, good job on the test, here, have some more homework. It's awful. They should make it extra credit at most.

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Mario said:
My exact thoughts word for word
Fixed.

I'm doing worse than usual, my grades are dipping below 3.5 for the first time in a long time and I'm behind in my college dual-enrollment courses. It's really my own fault though, so I'm not going to whine. On the bright side, even though I'm behind, I'm doing pretty great in English, I'm loving the freedom to write in my own style.

highscool senior btw

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Mario said:
Gifted and Talented Education is just a horrible excuse to give kids who perform well even more freaking work to do. Like, hey, man, good job on the test, here, have some more homework. It's awful. They should make it extra credit at most.
I was in the Gifted program Grades 9-11 (and Grade 12 English), but dropped to regular Academic for Grade 12 math, french and science instead of doing the AP courses - I figured it'd be better to be top of the class and get straight As in Academic than fail everything because the AP homework was too mountainous.

But in 9-11, Gifted was good times - the tests were harder, but we didn't really get more homework than the regular classes: we just got to learn more with the same amount, as well as read more interesting books/plays/etc. and get more creative freedom on projects and stuff, plus we had our own little "Giftie" community within the overall 500+ student cohort, which meant almost no bullying (unlike elementary and middle school) and let us get to know each other more and develop more camaraderie than if we'd just been lone nerds left to fend for ourselves. Then in Grade 12, most of the folks who were still in Academic math, science or french were Gifties anyway, and the Academics were dedicated students*, so intelligence was still respected.

*Except French, where the non-Gifties were almost all stoners, for some reason, but they were pretty chill, so it was all good.

i failed 2 of my exams im going to drop out and start heroin

doing pretty well right now. currently on track to get a satisfactory on all my subjects (year 11 doesnt have actual grades for some reason, just 'satisfactory' or 'not satisfactory') so thats good i guess. exams are in 3 and a half weeks so thats what matters most atm. after that i'll just have two weeks orientation for next year and ill be done until february :luma:

i finished school back in july and now i'm at university, which is going pretty well so far

Things are quite good at school. The kid who bugs me isn't in my class this year, and I don't know my grades yet because they didn't do the progress report card, and my teacher is nice, and he's also a friend of my dad.

i can the memearrow

>goes to uni

> wait five hours for afternoon class

>goes to class

>class is cancelled

>police is at the site. says "unknown white substance" is there and everyone is quarantined

>goes back home

>at home, substance is analyzed

>it's flour

>someone brought it for science class and forgot to take it home.

thanks post 9/11 america.

After I ended up giving myself half-decent justice in the Fall 2021 semester for college prerequisites, getting almost all As; I had an A in English, Spanish I, and a prep class and even then the only B I got was an 89 in Geology, my Spring 2022 semester looks like a worse combination of classes even compared to last semester. As while I don't mind my Political Science or Aerobics classes (especially relieving since I'm planning to double major in the former, along with Statistics), some of the material in Spanish II is worse than anything in Spanish I as predictable as that is to encounter, and Astronomy is my least favorite class out of Wake Tech so far to the point where I may even call it one of the worst classes I've ever taken anywhere. At least with Spanish II I managed to get again the teacher I liked in the first semester, just that my Astronomy teacher is not great as sometimes he is really snippy in his emails and occasionally does not reply to an email I sent at all, to the point where he has not grown on me even one smidgen. For my grades right now my grade in Political Science is a 90, my grade in Aerobics is a 99, my grade in Spanish II is an 86, and my grade in Astronomy is an 85, but I have three tests tomorrow so I need to get a... better night's sleep to do well on each of them.

holy shit high school was a decade ago now??????

it's crazy i'll remember things that happened in high school and think 'that was only a few years ago' and then remember i graduated at 16 and i'm turning 26 this year (although my 10 year anniversary of graduation is next year)

Back