What is your personal Mario canon?

As we all know, the Mario universe consists of several different sets of continuities.

While the various platformer games (from the original Super Mario Bros. to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, from Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy) are widely considered to be the heart and soul of the series, there are still several spinoffs that vary the setting/style of play enough to potentially qualify as being either "alternate canon" or "non-canon", depending on who you ask. These include the US version of Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario RPG, the Paper Mario series, the Mario & Luigi series, and Fortune Street (crossover with Itadaki Street and Dragon Quest).

Add the Mario Party series, the Mario Kart series and other sports games, quite a few early 1990s educational/puzzle computer games (Hotel Mario and Mario is Missing fall here), and several comics spawned by the various Mario platform games, each of which having added generously to the Mushroom Kingdom’s mythology, events, and character interactions, and you have a deceptively complex fandom that stumps the uninitiated.

Not to mention the upcoming Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam game (which introduces Paper Mario fighting alongside the human Bros.), as well as the possibility that the old Super Show cartoons may be their own universe VS the games they were based on.

As this page (http://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Canonicity) discusses, because the goal of Super Mario Wiki is to accurately convey information about the series, not to confirm what "did and didn't happen" in the series' continuity, arguments about such things are purely speculative - technically speaking, the cartoons and spinoff games might not be any less "official" than the platformers, seeing as how Nintendo authorized the producers to use the Mario brand - but depending on how you, as a fan, look at the series as a whole, it might not be possible to integrate everything with regards to backstory or canon.

So my purpose of this thread is to ask...what do YOU consider to be canon and non-canon as far as the series goes? If you consider something to be "Alternate Canon" you can say so as well.

Absolutely everything is canon, especially the spin-offs. Mario is just a very confused man who has trouble deciding what career to pursue.

Every Mario game is canon, but there are several branching paths in the timeline, one of which involves Baby Mario stealing a time machine from Bowser and destroying the space time continuum.

The canon's in the flying ships of Super Mario Bros. 3 are the more serious for me... (sorry, couldn't avoid this).
:D

I'm most used to playing the platformers, so not really aware of different history lines involving different games.

This is my personal headcanon.

yoshi's island
yoshi story
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Mario Party 1
Paper Mario 64
Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario & Luigi Superstar saga
Mario & Luigi Partners in time
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario & Luigi Bowser's inside story
New Super Mario Bros wii
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros U
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Super Mario 3D World
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam

Everything else is alternate universes

I don't dwell on Mario timeline because I think they're a waste of time. Instead, I view each events as episodes actually happening at one point with no discernible chronology.

Mcmadness said:
This is my personal headcanon.

yoshi's island
yoshi story
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Mario Party 1
Paper Mario 64
Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
Mario & Luigi Superstar saga
Mario & Luigi Partners in time
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario & Luigi Bowser's inside story
New Super Mario Bros wii
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros U
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Super Mario 3D World
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Mario & Luigi Paper Jam

Everything else is alternate universes
I'm curious as to why only Mario Party 1 is canon, with the rest being in alternate universes.

They're all different interpretations of the original event... or something.

Well, probably because I like the idea of it's set up. Everybody's competing/working together to solve problems all over the world to show whose the superstar, but Bowser shows up and steals all their hard earned stars because.........well because he's Bowser.

Plus I liked the finale, made it seem like you were on a grand adventure, not just partying on some random place for fun.

Mario and Luigi were always residents of the Mushroom Kingdom, they didn't come from Brooklyn. Their parents along with the people in their home village all spoke in Italian accents which is where they learned it from. Additionally Mario learned the stomp attack and ground pound from Yoshi during their first adventure, Luigi later learned it from watching Mario.

LunarTanooki said:
Mario and Luigi were always residents of the Mushroom Kingdom, they didn't come from Brooklyn. Their parents along with the people in their home village all spoke in Italian accents which is where they learned it from. Additionally Mario learned the stomp attack and ground pound from Yoshi during their first adventure, Luigi later learned it from watching Mario.

I personally, would have to agree with this. The cartoons can therefore better be explained as Alternate Timeline - basically expanded versions of SMB3/SMW, as they would have occurred, if the Mario Bros. had been sent to Brooklyn instead by means of warp pipe. Same goes for Mario is Missing and any other games in which the Brooklyn backstory is alluded to.

As for the Mario Kart and sports games, my own personal headcanon is that Peach and the Toads host them during times of peace in the Mushroom Kingdom, but each of the games is simply a "conglomeration" of locales and events, with the characters simply being added in as playble for fun. (A lot of people have already pointed out the problems with Bowser and Mario playing sports together, the 'baby" characters somehow knowing how to drive/play sports, etc. - and I agree)

The reason why I bring this up is because Mario Kart is actually referenced in Thousand Year Door by Luigi. He says something along the lines of "I thought I'd be okay, because I've driven in kart races before..." when he describes the tournament where he had to partake in a karting tournament to win a piece of the compass. So if you count TTYD as canon, this implies that there was at least one "celebrity edition" karting tournament in the past (albeit one that may or may not have happened as depicted in Mario Kart 64/Double Dash).

My canon has four main timelines.

Only one of them has the Marios growing up in Brooklyn.

But that's my favorite of the four, not necessarily because of that.

Back