Would you like to see Koopaling dialogues?

As we all know, the Koopalings have been emerging from their roots in Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World and have been appearing in more games recently. But unlike Bowser Jr., they don't actually "talk" in the games outside of Mario is Missing (which many people consider to be non-canon). Sure, they make sounds, and they say their names when they're unlocked in Mario Kart 8, but other than that...they don't have any one-liners in Super Mario Advance 2 (unlike SMA1's bosses), they don't say anything when you fight them in Superstar Saga, they don't talk period.

I remember I used to be a "Super Koopa" at Lemmy's Land, a fan site that was dedicated to the Koopalings based on their personalities from the cartoons (Wendy being a spoiled brat, Roy a bully, and so forth)...ah the memories.

Come on Nintendo, I'm sure your Wii U and 3DS can handle the Koopalings talking more often, even if it's just a few lines of dialogue before you fight them or something like that.

Anyone else agree?

I agree, i really want to hear dialouge from them like on how Bowser Jr. has dialouge. I also think of them as a great idea in 3D Mario Platformers (take SM3DW for example) since they've been in so many 2D platformers along with Bowser and Bowser Jr.. (I really wanna see them in Super Mario Galaxy 3 if Nintendo will make it.)

Sure, why not. Let's have Mario talk as well.

I bet these guys would sound more interesting, no?

The Koopalings are pretty boring anyway, they probably do need more dialouge to make them even the slightest bit interesting

One more thing:

I was definitely very surprised there wasn't any Koopaling dialogue in Puzzle & Dragons, what with it being a strategy puzzle game that has its own story revolving around the orbs.

Also, I'm not necessarily saying that Nintendo should flesh out each Koopaling to the extent that the (alternate canon) cartoon series did (like how they developed Daisy into the perky tomboy with the voice many people hate she is today), but at the very least I think Nintendo could've added some one liners for each game they appear in.

For instance in the Super Mario Bros. 3 Nintendo Power strategy guide Wendy says "Hey Mario, try one of my candy rings! I think you'll like how they taste!" (or something like that) She could've easily said something similar in the Super Mario Advance 4 remake, akin to how Fry Guy says "I'm too hot to touch!"...

Or another idea for a more modern platformer could be, they could say something to Kamek for help, for instance in the NSMBW second battles:

Larry: "I've got a surprise for you this time, Mario! Do your thing, Kamek!"
Lemmy: "This bigger ball should make things fun! Eheheheee!!!"
Wendy: "Kamek! Send in the water! Let's see how well Mario can swim!"

And so forth. I mean seriously, would that have been so difficult? :rolleyes:

No, just make their boss battles more unique and actually challenging. Right now, the way to go is 'jump on enemy three times = ded'. This is lame and dumb.

Pi said:
No, just make their boss battles more unique and actually challenging. Right now, the way to go is 'jump on enemy three times = ded'. This is lame and dumb.
I say, why not just add the dialogue as well as that?

JFrombaugh said:
One more thing:

I was definitely very surprised there wasn't any Koopaling dialogue in Puzzle & Dragons, what with it being a strategy puzzle game that has its own story revolving around the orbs.

Also, I'm not necessarily saying that Nintendo should flesh out each Koopaling to the extent that the (alternate canon) cartoon series did (like how they developed Daisy into the perky tomboy with the voice many people hate she is today), but at the very least I think Nintendo could've added some one liners for each game they appear in.

For instance in the Super Mario Bros. 3 Nintendo Power strategy guide Wendy says "Hey Mario, try one of my candy rings! I think you'll like how they taste!" (or something like that) She could've easily said something similar in the Super Mario Advance 4 remake, akin to how Fry Guy says "I'm too hot to touch!"...

Or another idea for a more modern platformer could be, they could say something to Kamek for help, for instance in the NSMBW second battles:

Larry: "I've got a surprise for you this time, Mario! Do your thing, Kamek!"
Lemmy: "This bigger ball should make things fun! Eheheheee!!!"
Wendy: "Kamek! Send in the water! Let's see how well Mario can swim!"

And so forth. I mean seriously, would that have been so difficult? :rolleyes:
I would also like some cheesy retorts

Yellow Toad: Ooo! Ooo! I love surprises!
Mario: Yellow Toad...

Mario: Oh, definitely. We're going to have a great time, Lemmy!

Mario: Looks like we're going to be in some hot water, hee hee!

well they kinda talk in mk8, iggy says "yeah, let's go" or something when he gets in his glider, lemmy says "yay" when he wins and stuff.

but yeah, actual written dialogue would be cool.

Pi said:
I agree, but what else could they do? Jumping on foes is kinda Mario's thing.

Yeah, maybe throw some other things too.

Perhaps a giant tank that shoots Bob-ombs and you have to throw them back.

They had long speeches in the PC version of Mario is Missing! with weird-ass voice acting. Anyway, more dialogue would be fun, even if it'd probably invalidate my headcanon speech patterns for a couple of them.

Walkazo said:
They had long speeches in the PC version of Mario is Missing! with weird-ass voice acting. Anyway, more dialogue would be fun, even if it'd probably invalidate my headcanon speech patterns for a couple of them.

Yeah, unfortunately like I said many if not most fans seem to consider Mario is Missing to be "alternate canon" at best (honestly, the debate about whether or not the Mario Bros. grew up in Brooklyn is one that still rages on today - but that's another thread), and it seems to fall under the category of "games Nintendo's trying to forget" - for instance I remember they marketed Luigi's Mansion as the first ever game that Luigi stars in.

Yes, there is no reason of why not give the Koopalings some personality traits, same goes with the other characters who do nothing besides being there.

I just read the other thread about another forum member's concerns that Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam will have a very minimalistic story, pointing out recent games like SMG2 and Sticker Star as lacking the depth of story of their predecessors. Perhaps this is why the only game the Koopalings talk in is the PC version of Mario is Missing?

Seriously though, the other thing I'd like to point out is that while a lot of people (particularly those who've been to Lemmy's Land and others who have never been a fan of the bare-bones story approach the series has in general outside of the RPGs) really want to see the Koopalings make a full-blown come back with their cartoon personalities, I think it doesn't necessarily have to be so. I personally would be pleasantly surprised and impressed if they were to appear as World Bosses in a future 3D Mario platformer with some pre-battle dialogue lines akin to Bowser Jr. in SMG2. The lines I posted a few posts above were examples of things they could've said in the NSMB Wii battles. But so far all the Koopalings really do is make sounds, which Nintendo seems to think suffices for the recent games they've appeared in.

So where are the Koopalings likely to go in the next few years? It's hard to say, although it seems extremely unlikely that a Shigeru Miaymoto who has admitted to not being in favor of deep story in Mario games in general would be willing to take the reins and give each Koopaling their own personality.

I'd actually like to see everyone get dialogue (with the exception of some monsters, I guess); the voices for the Mario series are already pretty good, but it's been rather limited to basic lines for certain actions (jumping, exclaiming an emotion for a brief moment, getting hurt, etc.). Having pre-battle cutscenes with the Koopalings would be very entertaining and give the game more opportunities story-wise and in the humor department (if the situation allows it)!

Back