Which RPG series do you prefer?

• Super Mario RPG

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Mario & Luigi

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Super Mario RPG will always be my favorite Mario RPG with the paper mario games being second.

smrpg ive never liked

i cant stand the visuals, the animation is meh, and the overall style just looks so bleh. Never liked the music either aside from the battle themes, but every other song i cant really tolerate.

The battle system is a good start and it had some interesting styles for weapons and special moves. The battle customization is really poor, compared to like final fantasy 5 or treasure of the rudra.

Story was never really enjoyable, and i really dont like the new characters, and how they treat bowser to be some massive pansy all throughout the game is very infuriating.

Overall i never liked smrpg, maybe because i played paper mario first, but even comparing to snes rpgs(which i listed above), its just not that great.

Paper mario was my first rpg ever and even going back to it i really like it, very enjoyable in most ways, probably the thing i dont like is the side quests

enjoyable characters and storyline, great ost, and the battle customization is great. The battle system is similar to smrpg but vastly improved.

This is also where i began my love for peach as despite she was captured, she still went around in the castle, got info, and delivered it to mario.

Great game, even compared to my more favorite rpgs.

mario & luigi ive played very little, liked superstar saga, didnt like partners in time, and bowsers inside story seems fun but ive played very little.

Havent played dream team. Overall id say the game series is alright, but not quite good as paper mario series(although most of my love for that series is due to nostalgia).

Paper Mario because TTYD is best Mario RPG. (IMO)

I will say the Paper Mario series because of TTYD. It is the best in it's series and what most people consider the last true Paper Mario game before it went that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Zelda II, Ys III, and Faxanadu route in Super Paper Mario with it being an RPG like platformer and a multi-dimensional game like C: The Contra Adventure on the PS1, Mega Man X7 and Neo Contra on PS2. Sticker Star may have screwed the series up but M&L Paper Jam looks like it could be a good game.

First I will throw SMRPG out of the picture, because I didn't like it for various reasons, or at least didn't like the part I played.

For the story, M&L feels more interesting, at least I'm not just going around from the start of the game collecting 7 pieces of something to stop some evil doing. I know the M&L games have the same idea at least somewhere in the storyline, but it is more varied and has some kind of a surprise.

For the gameplay, PM definitely takes the cake. Even though I prefer having Luigi to some species I don't know. The partners add a lot to the game (suck on that SS). Having like 7 partners allows you to have more abilities than jumping on your brother's shoulder. The world feels bigger in PM, not just the physical space, but the number of side quests that you can do in PM is larger. The badges in PM (the first two, I mean) makes the game more varied, you are not limited to just 1 (2 for both bros). It makes you want to collect every badge to create your own combination.

You can't compare the graphics between the two games, because one series is exclusive to handhelds and the other is almost exclusive to the home-consoles. I for example like the original PM's graphics more than Dream Team's graphics. Maybe the nostalgia has something to do with that. But I dunno.

The puzzles in M&L are okay I guess, but I still prefer the experience PM series gives you.

Overall they are different series, you have to get both of them, both are great in some way or another. But PM is greater.

That is a tough one!

I love Mario RPG, but it only has one game sadly :(

Paper Mario 1 & 2 are excellent games that are enjoyable on so many levels! Even Super Paper Mario is not that bad.

M&L has been solid at giving us good games (even my favorite handheld game ever, M&L BIS).

I think in the end though.....I have to go with Paper Mario because I think PM 1 & 2 are both better than any of the M&L games and Mario RPG. :mario:

I would definitely have to say the Paper Mario series. Even though I never played SMRPG, I have played Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Partners in Time (and as well as a little bit of Superstar Saga). I have played all four Paper Mario games and I have to say I love all of them in a different way. If we were given a new Paper Mario installment with elements from the first two games, a story as good as the third, and graphics even better than the fourth, we would have a Mario game so great that I would not stop playing it for at least a few years. :P

I've never played SMRPG but if I were to choose between paper mario and mario and luigi
I'd choose paper mario.

Back