Nintendo's PlayStation

Hobbes

Tucayo
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Henry Tucayo Clay
You read it right, a prototype for what would have been the result of Nintendo and Sony's partnership 25 years ago has been unearthed. But as we all know, Nintendo broke the partnership because they had something way better in the works. (Philips CD-i)

2898603-hvbkn1x.jpg

2898602-gbokxrt.jpg

One of Nintendo's biggest mistakes

Though I wonder how different history would be if this console got released instead of...you know....THAT.

I'm seriously considering voting this to win the award this year. This was a very dumb move by Nintendo. Their final partner release their device known today as the Philips CD-i as well as some of the worse Mario and almost unarguably the worse Zelda games ever made. Their former partner became one of their biggest rivals. They should have stuck with Sony. Sometimes I imagine what it would be like if Nintendo and Sony were working together today.

Nintendo doomed themselfs forever because of this, if the playstation never happened things would be very different.

Also Hotal Maro and the Zelda cdi games would never of exsisted if it wasn't for Nintendo ending the partnership.

Nintendo probably would of became a juggernaut of console gaming if this had their deal with Sony gone through. Who could of really competed against a partnership that would of likely also led to a "Playstation 64" if you will where both the best of N64 and PS1 all on one system. There would still be companies who try, but no one could of possibly made something quick enough to what would of combined two consoles that still hold a huge influence on today's gaming world.

Also if Smash Bros. still came out. Spyro, Crash, as well probably Final Fantasy characters (Both old like Black Mage and new at the time like Cloud) would of definitely been part of the roster at least when it got to the time to make Melee for the "Playstation Cube".

Of course that's just assuming most of what happened still came to be. It's impossible to really know what would what would happen to everything that we know came after. But we can take guess a Nintendo-Sony partnership would be like monopolizing the entire gaming market at the time cause the only major competitor at that time was Sega who was already (or at least going to be) reeling from the failure of the Sega Saturn pretty much.

There's two ways of looking at it if you're a pure Nintendo fan this would mean Nintendo would dominate the console market for many years to come. But if you're a multi-console owner or someone who wasn't into Nintendo then you're alienated because any other consoles even if they do fairly well at first just aren't going to compete well. It all defends if you prefer a healthy competition of companies so each one raise the stakes and pressure the other on making bigger and better games or if you'd just like a single company having near ownership of the entire industry. Some of the important games made during the era of the PS1/N64/Dreamcast were partly made because they were attempts to make games that could compete with others within the market. If there's no pressure on a company to make a great game that rivals a competitor's then a company may feel they can get away with just about anything, including games of significantly lower quality then it could be (Although sometimes that happens anyway even in a highly competitive market, but it'd be even worse if it's just one single company that owns the market.)

So while yes, the partnership would of given Nintendo huge control. It'd also be bad because some of those games you loved either may have not been made at all or they could of not been quite as good as they tuned out to be when the companies had to make sure their game was good in comparison to a competitor's game. It really wouldn't have been good from an entire industry perspective. But if you definitely look at it from Nintendo's point of view, it was for sure a missed oppurtunity to claim pretty much total control of the market.

I'm not saying Nintendo with Sony would lose it's quality control that fast. But once it was obvious they were dominating the market though, they could of gone quite laid back.

I don't mind Sony either. It gave Nintendo competition, which means Nintendo has to make quality games or die off. I'm speaking sorely from a Nintendo perspective and it was bad for Nintendo as a business, but consumers enjoy it.

It's so ironic that they refused an offer from one of their greatest future rivals. Imagine if the PlayStation just ended up being this, rather than what it is today.

I feel like gaming from a consumer perspective was better this way because without one console for all games, you suddenly had exclusives, and because it wasn't expected that everyone who wanted your game would have the console, the games in turn sold the console they were made for. They could only do that by being good games

I mean it was there to some extent with Sonic and Sega but it wasn't anywhere near as impacting as Crash, Spyro and FFVII on PS1 and Mario, Zelda and Rareware on N64.

Though this isn't really the case any more with porting being way more accessible these days.

I don't know what to say about this.

To call Nintendo's decision "foolish" is just hindsight bias. I think some competition is healthy, don't you think? I think this is just one of unexplained things in history to speculate if the partnership hasn't been broken.

Glitchy said:
It's so ironic that they refused an offer from one of their greatest future rivals. Imagine if the PlayStation just ended up being this, rather than what it is today.

id be very depressed

Baby Luigi said:
I don't mind Sony either. It gave Nintendo competition, which means Nintendo has to make quality games or die off. I'm speaking sorely from a Nintendo perspective and it was bad for Nintendo as a business, but consumers enjoy it.

But don't you have a PlayStation 2, which is your only PlayStation console/system (if I am guessing this right) even though your older brother is quite literally the only one who plays on it? Besides the PS2 was the fastest selling DVD player in the market and was cheaper than most DVD players on the market which was a big selling point.

Well, yeah, but I don't see your point. It sounds like we have some cognitive dissonance, but we're pointing out how we don't mind Sony either...?

Update, but before this goes in the rabbit hole, is this actually real? I've seen contradicting evidence if it's genuine. I've read that the person who posted this admitted it's fake, but I need elaboration.

whered you read that?

it looked pretty convincing to me, and people have been digging up evidence suggesting that its legit on assembler games

Comments, some articles (like Eurogamer), etc.. It's pretty confusing for me right now.

It's a pretty good fake though but I think it is a fake.

Well...Would there still have been a Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, and Sly Cooper if Nintendo and Sony were working together?

Honza said:
A cross between Nintendo and Playstation would have been one of the best things in gaming.

It's called "having a PC"

Back