something I never understood

Extreme priority on moves to the point where few things block their hitboxes, large range and very fast frame data, outrageously strong recovery that lets him live far past his weight class, great mobility, tornado is a massive hitbox that can let him get through projectiles and wrack up damage, and he is so good at ledgecamping that tournaments had to install a rule limiting how many times you can grab the edge. He's also one of the few characters that can combo very well in Brawl; he's got the speed and efficiency of a Melee top tier character that was put in a game late.

There's much more specific details if you want to look up write-ups on his frame data and such, but even if you don't see it with the naked eye, Meta Knight is agreed to be borderline broken by higher level Brawl players. A legitimate debate is whether or not Ice Climbers is MORE broken because of their infinite chain grab.

GalacticPetey said:
Eri Ayase said:
meta knight was op due to sakurai's kirby bias let's face it
Then why is Kirby the worst character in Melee?

I think he said that he was biased against his own game because he didn't want it to be too represented. We all know it's completely different now.

Roger Smith said:
Eri Ayase said:
GalacticPetey said:
I don't need a tier list to tell you Kirby is awful in Melee.

mr game & watch, pichu and mewtwo are worse though

like leagues worse
I'm wondering that too: why were mr. game and watch and mewtwo considered terrible too? I'm hardly a competitive player lol
I don't know everything or too much about these characters but uh;

G&W: bad shield, incredibly light therefore easy to kill, can't l-cancel most of his aerials (or all of them?), but he has some sorta okay moves I believe?
Mewtwo: shitty hurt boxes on his tail that are really bad for him, huge target, very light for his size, slow(?), can't deal with camping I don't think.
Kirby: bad moves all round, you can get out of some of histhrows before taking damage lmao, terrible recovery, very light, slow, I don't think he has any moves that are good tbh.
Pichu: what we all know; hurts himself, shorter hit boxes, light and easy to kill. He has a good nair though, so he has that going for him I guess.

I'd still say Kirby is the worst out of the bunch but it's really not important when they're all bad.

I still believe Bowser is the worst character, so easy to touch, has no reliable way to hit because all his moves have insane lag.

Eri Ayase said:
GalacticPetey said:
I don't need a tier list to tell you Kirby is awful in Melee.

mr game & watch, pichu and mewtwo are worse though

like leagues worse
Kirby is much worse than Mr. Game & Watch and Mewtwo.

His attacks are awkward with small sweetspots and absurdly large sour spots. His hammer special is horrendous, he can't use two out of his four throws, he loses his jumps when he throws, ugh, so much things about Kirby is terrible.

Cirdec said:
I still believe Bowser is the worst character, so easy to touch, has no reliable way to hit because all his moves have insane lag.
Gimpyfish. Bowser is still bad, but there's someone who can kick whoopass with Bowser.

Eri Ayase said:
lol he's far from that

don't listen to tier lists

so do you know any better than people who actually do play competitively?

Okay Kirby may be bad in melee but is he really worse than Pichu?????

Meta Knight said:
Okay Kirby may be bad in melee but is he really worse than Pichu?????
Pichu has decent movement and a good Nair, giving him at least one thing he can do. Kirby has really bad mobility and really poor options, simple as that. His floatiness and kit are good for edgeguarding, but it requires him to get people off the stage.

Cirdec said:
Whirling Fortress and all the ATs that come with it are a thing.

If you guys saw Kirby in 64, there's a reason he was nerfed, though I think it was a bit too bad since the Melee engine also made him less viable. For Christ's sake, this was his uptilt's hitbox. It comboed into itself at decent percentage and had enough shieldstun that it would either break your shield or force you to take hits.

It's a shame they nerfed Meta Knight to hell and back in Sm4sh though. He did need nerfing, but Christ they gave him some of the worst hitboxes and I heard he got even worse with the 1.0.8 patch.

Eri Ayase said:
kirby is easier to play though

Well that doesn't stop hard-to-play characters like Olimar being 3rd on the Brawl tier list

Eri Ayase said:
kirby is easier to play though
At the level needed to make a tier list, people know basic mechanics of characters. Yeah, people suck at dealing with down B spam against Kirby when they don't know how to shield, grab, and time hits. But that's not the level of play being analyzed. Kirby is the farthest character from getting results in competitive play is what it means when he's the lowest tier.

Eri Ayase said:
thats why i said i dont care for tier lists

see it all makes sense
Your arguments would probably work better if you weren't completely disregarding info from people who have probably studied this more than you.

If you don't care about them then why do you dismiss Kirby's tier placement? You shouldn't really complain about things you have no clue how they're constructed.

Eri Ayase said:
thats why i said i dont care for tier lists

see it all makes sense
Yeah, it does explain your ignorance on that matter.

Stop pretending you know how tier lists are structured.

Back