Birdo's real gender is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy

Bullet Bill
The official Birdo's gender is male.
He thinks he is a girl. It called as Okama in Japan.

Birdo is a boy name, Birda would be girl name.
Same as between Mario and Maria.

Male names ending in -o, female is -a. Mostly Spanish and Italian names.
Hermano=Brother
Hermana=Sister

For fucks sake.

You seem to not entirely understand what you're talking about, so let me help.

"Gender" refers to what a given person identifies as. What you are talking about is "sex", which defines whether you are biologically male or female.

So no, Birdo's gender is NOT male in any way, shape, or form. She explicitely identifies as a girl, therefore, per definition, her gender is female.

May said:

this depends entirely on where you live

theres also a female version of nico here which is "nicole" and is sometimes abbriviated to "nico" but ive never heard anyone female actually having that name around here

The name thing is a moot point anyway, since gendered names ending in certain letters is a cultural thing.

For example, in Japan there are a lot of girls names that end in o.

I am pretty sure I have heard Hikaru used as both a male and a female name.

The Birdo character that represents the whole species from Mario Tennis onward is a girl and has always been referred to as such in-game (or in-manual).

Never seen Indigo as a name.

Nico and Cleo go either way, and most likely originated as boy names like Ashley or Lindsay.

I thought it was spelled Margot.

Lots of names are spelled many different ways; Margo/Margot is a pretty tame example, really.

May said:
indigo
nico
cleo
margo

do you want me to continue
Walkazo :bowser:

But seriously, Birdo's transgender. Or just female, depending on the game and how whitewashed the plot is. But either way, he gender ain't male, and male pronouns should not be used to refer to her.

I don't think it's a good idea to think about questions that can't be answered, but maybe there are two birdos living in different regions.

one of these topics

as edo said birdo is female, and you cant do anything about it.

The name thing is even more useless nowadays.

She's a lass

TempestBlade said:
The official Birdo's gender is male.
He thinks he is a girl. It called as Okama in Japan.

Birdo is a boy name, Birda would be girl name.
Same as between Mario and Maria.

Male names ending in -o, female is -a. Mostly Spanish and Italian names.
Hermano=Brother
Hermana=Sister
You know I just realized/remembered that if you are so stuck on this whole name theory bs whatever, in Japan, Birdo is named "Catherine".

So yeah this argument of yours is beyond stupid and pointless.

This is a new one, to be honest. I've seen all sorts of transphobic bullshit pulled out to "explain" why transfolk aren't their identified gender, but half-assed cultural naming conventions is a first.

Also the SMB2 instruction booklet came out almost 30 years ago, mate; attitudes and knowledge of transfolk have changed, so Nintendo's outdated "oh he only THINKS he's a woman" statement holds no water.

Does it really matter? I always think of Birdo as simply a retconned character. There's no sense in making sense of retconning, like how the Koopalings used to be Bowser's kids but they aren't anymore. Just go with what's currently canon.

Mario has no canon.

But if Birdo identifies herself as female, that's what matters, so we'll respectfully call her a female as we would to transgendered women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back