Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Oh man that must really suck. Why does the game need to come out like months later? Is it because of all the text that needs to be translated?

don't noe and noa have different localisation teams for their areas and noe has to translate the game into multiple languages whereas noa only has to do it for one?

There are French and Spanish translations that NoA has to make, but since Brazil isn't getting Nintendo games anymore, there are no NoA Portuguese translations that have to be made. Plus, NoE has to translate things into Russian, Italian and German as well, so there are definitely much more languages that NoE has to translate things into. Furthermore, the English, French and Spanish translations aren't even the same, so that's also something one has to keep in mind.

I'm not sure why the game needed to nerf the hell out of normal attacks. I suppose it's to make way for the PP upgrade system, but I wonder why they can't just retain the normal attack from the previous games while keeping the PP upgrade system.

Also, I have problems with my partner AI. I know they help a lot with their ranged attacks, but they seem to use only that attack until the PP runs out. Take my Piplup, for example. She uses only Bubble, even when she can use Pound or Mudslap for close ranged attacks and saving PP on Bubble (her strongest move), so it's pretty irritating that, in times when she can no longer use it, she can't help me behind me. It's frustrating to use up my Elixirs.

isn't it possible to select and deselect moves so that your teammates only use certain ones?

Yes, I'm well-aware of that, but it's far too much of a hassle to deselect and reselect constantly, since I do need ranged attacks getting used and I don't need ranged attacks getting used, so I just leave it like this. I just wish the AI is programmed better than this.

Guys, one warning: once you get to Axew in your connection orb (he/she is third on the list), the boss fight is going to be pretty tough: you'll face a level 50 Salamence that can OHKO (and you're level 12-13 at this point) and you will need to make use of wands, blast seeds, and tiny reviver seeds.

I handled it pretty well. Slumber Wands and a Slumber Orb did a job while Axew was unlucky enough to get hit by Salamence's Fire Fang (I had a large stash of Little Reviver Seeds anyway). While Salamence was asleep, I just let 'er rip with the Blast Seeds. I personally had more trouble with the Poliwrath Bros. and even then, I wasn't close to losing in that mission anyway.

I wish my Peeps used Water Sport instead of Bubble hnng

Double post but I finally beat the main story of the game. So, spoiler alert, don't click if you don't want to be spoiled

I think the latter parts of the story are incredibly cheesy, especially if you look deeply into it. Like, hate and jealousy are survival instincts yet these big bad evil thing, Dark Matter, can cause the world to end because Pokemon hate each other? I also hate Dark Matter's dialogue; every single time it speaks it sounds like a petulant child. Also, it seems like Dark-type Pokemon are screwed, because it manifests on darkness, so yeah, it's kinda stupid when there already is Pokemon who's entire existence is being dark.

We'd be here all day if I were to touch on how drawing the planet to the sun because the planet stopped spinning, because it's extremely ridiculous, even with creative liberties, in my own humble opinion. I don't believe a dime how the Tree of Life can keep a planet rotating, and besides, see what an axial tilt does to the climate of the planet...like summer? Imagine actually drawing it to the sun. Anyway, that's my personal problem and if anyone else is ok with it, that's totally cool.

Some of the twists seem kinda outta nowhere and I know the story does its best to explain, but they still feel like Shyamalyan twists. Near the end of the game, your partner is supposed to be a Mew incarnate, something that wasn't foreshadowed at the beginnings of the game. It felt like they just wanted a twist for the sake of it, and all of the explanation near the end just felt like a handwave. Also, Nuzleaf and Beeyehmen twist also seem a bit forced as well, but I would say it's less out of nowhere than the Mew thing.

Otherwise, the story is ok. I think I liked the beginning parts and the parts with the Expedition Society more than the parts near the climax, because the writing there is far too "srs business with Dark Matter who speaks like a 6 year old child" for me to actually take seriously.

The gameplay is nice and challenging. It's far more difficult than the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, and it heavily relies upon smart item use and positioning, moreso than other Pokemon Mystery Dungeon installments. You will use your wands against Pokemon enemies, and you will find your HP dipping to low levels frequently, so items are more important in this game than ever.

I do like the Enera concept. I've read that it takes away incentive of exploring, but me personally, it actually gives incentive to explore, because Eneras such as Barrage, Type Bulldozer, Clairvoyance, and anything that helps you inflict Status Conditions on other Pokemon -Sleep and Confusion- are ones you should actually find and they're immensely helpful (Barrage let's you hit twice with only one turn and one pp cost, Type Bulldozer nullfies type resistance and immunities -including Levitate), and Clairvoyance helps you locate items, as, as I said, are more crucial to playing this game than other Mystery Dungeon games.

The connection thing is flawed. I find it difficult to navigate through the web and the number of stars indicating difficulty often lie about their actual difficulty. Also, you can't name your Pokemon, which immensely sucks.

Baby Luigi said:
Oh man that must really suck. Why does the game need to come out like months later? Is it because of all the text that needs to be translated?

Because Paper Jam comes out in early December.

They get that early, we get Paper Jam late.

No I don't get it either.

I don't feel too bad about that swap :P

I wish they'd just release both.

So I skipped sky (may play it later), as well as
Gates to infinity. That being said, is this game worth buying?

This game retains several aspects from Gates to Infinity, but I think it got rid of most problems with it. It has heavily improved post-game (and I mean heavily, since you can recruit all 720 Pokemon through missions now) for starters.

Ask me any concerns you have, and I'll answer them. But in my opinion, the game is definitely worth my money.

I got it not long ago. I'm almost done with the game, but I agree with LeftyGreenMario and Baby Luigi regarding the "default" attacks and the partner AI range thing. Also I don't know why the hell they make a Level 50 Salamence an early boss, then you can use it as a hell of a broken partner (and go to Hawlucha to have it remember some neat moves). And then you get some other broken partners (but to be fair the broken partners tend to go on break for like 5-6 missions before you can use them again). I DO love my Sylveon for support the team though (Helping Hand + Refresh + Draining Kiss = HELL YEAH). <3

My main Pokemon was a Totodile (I was pretty cool with it) and partner was a Fennekin (also cool with).

I DO love the concept of the Emeras. Like Baby Luigi said, it makes me want to explore more and use them to my advantage. I do HOWEVER, wish I wasn't stuck with a 32 inventory item bag for a huge majority of the game (and then only upgrading to 40 like near the end of the game; I'm currently Silver Ranked). Fills up WAY too quick. x.x

God damn it I hate you PP Leech and Hunger Traps tho. AND YOU GOD DAMN EARTHQUAKE/MAGNITUDE ENEMIES THAT HIT THE WHOLE ROOM AND YOU'RE LIKE 12 STEPS AWAY (I was so scared when an enemy Vibrava literally evolved into Flygon like that). X__x

So I believe I'm at the final dungeon, where you have Beeheyem at your side. However, is there a level standard I should be at? I'm at like level 30-ish, but it's a bit worrisome when in the dungeons before (the Voidlands?) Mawile is like level 50 and the rest of the Expedition Society is like level 39 to high 40s.

Timmy said:
God dang it I hate you PP Leech and Hunger Traps tho. AND YOU GOD dang EARTHQUAKE/MAGNITUDE ENEMIES THAT HIT THE WHOLE ROOM AND YOU'RE LIKE 12 STEPS AWAY (I was so scared when an enemy Vibrava literally evolved into Flygon like that). X__x

PP Leech are probably the worst trap in the game. When I was grinding, I stepped on like, two consecutive ones immediately after I drank an Elixir from a Kecleon Shop (bought Max Elixir and drank from Kecleon because....sigh). Hunger isn't too bad, I think I can deal with those more than I can deal with Grimy Traps, in which I think they're far worse than Hunger Traps.

Sticky Traps are easier to deal with, though. Just bring a Decoy Seed for you to take up the sludge before it hits any of your precious reviver seeds or your elixirs.

AOE attacks are the worst. I hate Earthquake/Magnitude/Earth Power. People also had problems with Razor Wind spamming Heliolisks in Poliwrath River, but me personally, I never had a a huge problem with them. I did encounter a Heliolisk who was about to unleash it, but my wands and team stopped it before it could use it.

Timmy said:
So I believe I'm at the final dungeon, where you have Beeheyem at your side. However, is there a level standard I should be at? I'm at like level 30-ish, but it's a bit worrisome when in the dungeons before (the Voidlands?) Mawile is like level 50 and the rest of the Expedition Society is like level 39 to high 40s.

That's not the final dungeon. There is no level standard, I beat the game at around level 24-25. You should be fine. Levels don't matter that much in the game anyway, since the stat boosts are pretty negligible. Eat your vitamins and doughnuts though, especially in post game, they will help you steam roll the rest of the game.

I'm only at Chapter 11 right now, and I'll post my full thoughts and complaints later when I beat the main story, but I really need to get this off my chest: the dungeon floors are too fucking large and they have no right to be. I've literally went through 2 apples and spent 10 minutes on just the first 3 floors of Sheer Mountain Range. I'm not fond of the Emeras at all, but that's another time and another place.

edit:
Baby Luigi said:
My actual team is a Turtwig (Buhlophe) and Piplup (Peeps).

this was literally my team in Explorers of Time (me as Turtwig, partner as Piplup)

good choice

I just made me a Squirtle and my partner a Pikachu as a throwback to my RRT team

Gamefreak75 said:
I'm only at Chapter 11 right now, and I'll post my full thoughts and complaints later when I beat the main story, but I really need to get this off my chest: the dungeon floors are too *bleep*ing large and they have no right to be. I've literally went through 2 apples and spent 10 minutes on just the first 3 floors of Sheer Mountain Range. I'm not fond of the Emeras at all, but that's another time and another place.

Gamefreak, I'm pretty sure Sheer Mountain Range is one of those dang hallway dungeons, where you'll spend a crapton amount of time toiling away in hallways with extremely tiny rooms, where you'll be desperate for a Stair Checker emera (which I think isn't available until post game) or Guiding Wands. I hate them.

But guess what, be prepared to go through a lot of those in the post game, especially getting some hunger preventing looplets. I think that mission is the only pre-story hallway dungeon but I could be wrong.

Gamefreak75 said:
Baby Luigi said:
My actual team is a Turtwig (Buhlophe) and Piplup (Peeps).

this was literally my team in Explorers of Time (me as Turtwig, partner as Piplup)

good choice

what a coincidence wtf

While I'm not a fan of hallway dungeons, I think they still provide the very occasional apple. I don't think I've ever burned through my all apples, but I could also be overdrugged (I use Spearow and Spearow has 200+ attack stats while Buhlophe and Peeps have 200 offensive stats as well, which usually 2HKOs at worst.

Gamefreak75 said:
I'm not fond of the Emeras at all, but that's another time and another place.
I like Enemas in this game but they have some element of luck. It's still always fun getting Ally Reviver or Go For Broke or Trap Proof or Clairvoyance or Treasure Hunter.

Don't forget Lullaby, Dizzying Stare, the payback versions, using Comeback for low accuracy moves, Better Odds, and all of that jazz

Yeah, I think Enemas are pretty darn helpful, actually, probably more useful than the previous held items.

This has to be the most unrewarding entry in this series yet. The amount of bullshit the game expects you to do in the story is unreal and I try to avoid battling Pokemon whenever I can because of it. This becomes blatantly apparent at Revelation Mountain. If it's not you getting surrounded by Pokemon with AoE moves or moves that reach >4 spaces, then it's dealing with your constantly draining PP and the fucking pathetic excuse of a bash attack. EXP gain feels less now as well. I despise, that you're forced to go through story dungeons and can't take the game at your own leisure, so if you're underleveled, then tough shit. Not to mention most of the "boss" battles are complete horseshit. I don't know if this game will hold my interest at all after I beat the main story, considering the story dungeons themselves are frustrating me to no end and these games are notorious for having difficult post-game dungeons. I know a lot of these are series staples, but it feels 10x worse here for some reason. It may be how utterly pointless leveling up is and gaining almost no new stats.

Gamefreak75 said:
I'm only at Chapter 11 right now, and I'll post my full thoughts and complaints later when I beat the main story, but I really need to get this off my chest: the dungeon floors are too fucking large and they have no right to be. I've literally went through 2 apples and spent 10 minutes on just the first 3 floors of Sheer Mountain Range.

Sheer Mountain Range was the only one that actually felt tedious IMO and I was NOT prepared for 11-13 floors consecutively (RIP I used 5 Tiny Reviver Seeds cause of hunger and I was not lucky enough to find an Apple there). >__>

I WILL however agree that the bash attack didn't have to be so bad tho. >.>

Dr. Mario said:
I like Enemas in this game but they have some element of luck. It's still always fun getting Ally Reviver or Go For Broke or Trap Proof or Clairvoyance or Treasure Hunter.

Baby Luigi said:
Better Odds

I've gotten Ally Reviver and Treasure Hunter (those are only post game eh? Ally Reviver is so broken lol), but no idea what Go For Broke or Better Odds does since I haven't gotten one of those emeras yet. =P

And I wish that one that restores your PP (like by 2) each time you get to the next floor wasn't a post game one. .__.

Also what type of Looplets do y'all carry for your team? I have a Resilient Looplet (prevents stat lowering), Weather Looplet (protects from hail & sandstorm damage, unsure if it nullifies effects like Fire moves being weaker in the Rain) and Detect Looplet (sometimes lets you dodge moves). I believe they each have 6 Emera Slots as well (man I was happy I got a new Resilient Looplet that let me carry 6 instead of 5 for my main Pokemon).

Back