Yooka-Laylee

Which, again, sucks if they haven't *bought* the console or a PC powerful enough to run it.

Mienshao said:
http://gonintendo.com/stories/270218-yooka-laylee-cancelled-for-wii-u-due-to-unforeseen-technical-iss

"technical issues" right

surely not because the wii u is a dead system

I wonder what Pi will say about this.

So Playtonic cut ties with jontron and his cameo is being re-recorded due to recent... events.

Sucks that the game is now mired in political(?) nonsense but it won't negatively impact my enjoyment.

I wasn't even aware jontron was in this till today but eh fuck him.

Mienshao said:
So Playtonic cut ties with jontron and his cameo is being re-recorded due to recent... events.

Sucks that the game is now mired in political(?) nonsense but it won't negatively impact my enjoyment.

I personally think they did the right thing tbh

Depends how you look a it.

On one hand the company has every right to add or cut content from their intellectual property.

On the other it's really petty considering that only thing the guy did for the game was to record some noises , that's right not even lines, just noises in a game where nobody actually speaks.

As much as they wanted to avoid ''controversy'' , they got exactly that in return , so it's really ironic.

I wonder if they would have done the same thing if they were a company with ''conservative'' ideas and Jontron's stance was more ''liberal''... Hmmm.

In any case , this is totally yet another case of ''better quiet than sorry'' , i know that's not the actual saying btw.

Mienshao said:
Oh please, every game / artwork is political and reflects the opinions of those making it. Choosing to not do anything is a political action in itself.

They obviously don't want the backlash they'd get by having his name in the credits so good on them for being confident enough to make the right decision.

Swiftie_Luma said:
As much as they wanted to avoid ''controversy'' , they got exactly that in return , so it's really ironic.

In any case , this is totally yet another case of ''better quiet than sorry'' , i know that's not the actual saying btw.

who says there wouldn't have been a controversy if they did nothing

before playtonic made the annoucement, you had Exceptional Individuals on NeoGaf were discussing brigading their employees with twitter presence to remove JonTron from the game, and when they didn't get an immediate response, trawl their twitters for stuff to get mad about

Swiftie_Luma said:
They are still facing backlash though.

two sides of the coin , cannot please everybody i guess.

Backlash from what? The alt-right manbabies, who get pissy at "muh political correctness" and "giving into the evuhl Ess Jay Double Us"? I don't think they care about the opinions on that small subset of fans, who would probably think stuff like the offensive transgender joke from Pillars of Eternity is okay and worth keeping in.

They have to weigh in the consequences, and backlash from those manchildren means less to them than backlash from others who take offense to JonTron's statements.

Glowsquid said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

who says there wouldn't have been a controversy if they did nothing

before playtonic made the annoucement, you had Exceptional Individuals on NeoGaf were discussing brigading their employees with twitter presence to remove JonTron from the game, and when they didn't get an immediate response, trawl their twitters for stuff to get mad about

Like i said , 2 sides of the coin.

If they did ''nothing'' there would be a group of people in complaining.

If they did , and they actually did , there would be people complaining too , and that is happening right now.

This particular issue has many POV , however , personally , the only thing that actively affected me in regards of Yooka-Laylee was the removal of the Wii U version , this is just minimal in comparison.

I care just enough to type out that I don't care.

The complaints are mostly because it tries to be 90's 3d platformer collect-a-thon, completely down to the flaws of 90's 3d platformer collect-a-thons without evolving.

I want to see how regular people who played the game thinks, though. Many times, games can have people liking them more far than the critics do.

Seems like most of the negatives come from people that largely weren't huge fans of this type of game to begin with.

So in short, not the target audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CXSNhJVi3c

if you can't/don't have time to watch, his final summary and score below
"Yooka-Laylee is too afraid to embrace the confident simplicity of Banjo-Kazooie, and it isn't inventive enough to be mistaken for Banjo-Tooie. It ends up feeling like a fan tribute rather than something a team of professionals worked on, and I am very disappointed with this game."
Final Score: 2/5 dunko points (same score he gave No Man's Sky)
Games he recommends instead of Yooka-Laylee: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Ratchet & Clank (PS4), Psychonauts, Hollow Knight, Rayman Legends, Gex, Banjo-Kazooie

my thoughts;

i can see why so many people were disappointed. considering its made by the same people that made banjo-kazooie, the fact yooka-laylee feels like an amateur indie platformer can definitely turn people off. its riddled with flaws.

but personally my expectations were met. it was never meant to be groundbreaking. its a return to form. its enjoyable, entertaining and funny. theres not much more to it, and im content. and its still better than nuts & bolts lol.

the bad:
the camera, oh god the camera
the minigames
the rolling move which is 100x worse than kazooie's talon trot
also having a power bar seems really stupid imo
butterflies are not a fun collectible lol

sidenote: dunkey didnt like banjo-tooie?! all his opinions are now invalid.

Back