Weirdest Mario Enemies

JBX9001

IT'S-A GO TIME, MO' FO'S!
In a universe as vast and diverse as Mario's, where the HUGE variety of enemies found in the games make up the many species of the world, you're bound to see some REAAAAAAALLY weird ones! Aside from our usual Goombas, Koopa Troopas, Shy Guys, etc. the Mario series has had a rather noteworthy handful of baddies that I just cannot grasp the true form of (Earthbound reference intentional)! From the odd polygonal creatures found in Super Paper Mario, to the single-cell anomalies found within Bowser's body in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, most of these abnormal beings seem to thrive in the RPG games (though the platformers have some pretty unusual foes too). In this thread, I'd like to know, which enemies do you find to be the absolute strangest in a world where squids can survive [somewhat] out of water? You are allowed to bring up bosses too, so don't feel limited to just standard enemies!

Pretty much any of the enemies from super mario land.

Easter island heads, Pianpi, bombshell koopa, take your pick.

Mcmadness said:
Pretty much any of the enemies from super mario land.

Easter island heads, Pianpi, bombshell koopa, take your pick.

I agree, Sarasaland has some pretty quirky enemies; not to mention most of them make some kind of weird noise when you hurt/kill them such as the boss, Dragonzamasu (that giant, fire-breathing seahorse).

Phanta Manta, seriously what is it or where it come from?

That giant fish in sticker Star that suddenly flew like some air vehicle, and nobody saw it again.

That game had some weird ass wigglers.

Lumastar said:
Or some from Super Mario Land 2.

Ballbear.PNG

And some from Super Mario RPG.

Mallow_and_Belome_by_meeeeeeen.jpg

PeskyPlumbers64 said:
The cow fish hybrid from SML2

WeirdMario_Cowfish.jpg

I was just about bring up those cow-fish hybrids things! And Belome was strange indeed It annoyed me when he kept eating Mallow (ironically, Mallow's Lighting attack does critical damage to him); awesome picture by the way!

Eri Ayase said:

Yeah, Wario is weird (and was the final boss of Super Mario Land 2), but I don't know if he can be classified as just an enemy anymore, since he's now one of the series' main characters...

Mario Party Σ said:
Yoshi's Story crap.

The way the Blarggs looked in the game were pretty creepy; most of the Piranha Plants and the Blindfold Boos with the big ears looked strange too... And then there's the bosses, Inviso, Cloudjin, and Don Bongo. The Snorkel Snake scared the crap out of me as a little kid! ...But now it's just super derpy...

yoshiking14x said:
Phanta Manta, seriously what is it or where it come from?

That giant fish in sticker Star that suddenly flew like some air vehicle, and nobody saw it again.

Ah, Phantamanta is practically my favorite boss in Super Mario Sunshine (well, besides Mecha Bowser)! Speaking of Sunshine, Eely-Mouth is one of the strangest monsters I've ever seen!

The giant fish you're referring to is a Cheep-Chomp (one of my most hated enemies); it was extremely random when it just flew off into space instead of falling down the waterfall... :eek:

Some of Super Paper Mario's enemies. Even though I'm one of the few who doesn't mind their geometrical designs, they're still a bit weird by Mario standards. Especially the Pigarithms.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Fuzzy_Wiggler

Magikrazy said:
The Space Pigs from Mario Land 2 that also appeared in Mario Zone.

Are you referring to the boss[es] in Mario Zone? I think they were also called The Three Little Pigheads; their battle is a reference to that folk tale I believe... But yeah, weird enemies indeed, like that giant rat Ricky in the Macro Zone.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Some of Super Paper Mario's enemies. Even though I'm one of the few who doesn't mind their geometrical designs, they're still a bit weird by Mario standards. Especially the Pigarithms.

One enemy from that game I remember a lot are the Longators and the Longadiles; they look nothing like crocodilians, and they would stretch out their neck to try and hit you with their face (while making some kind of silly chuckle). I would often wait for them to do that, and then repeatedly stomp their necks; that sounded WAY more sadistic than I thought it would...

Hmm I can't really think of one

maybe something from Wario Land 4 idk

Baby Luigi said:

In the "LOOK AT IT!" thread, I recently posted an image of Catbat, one of the bosses from that game; it's not just weird, it's one of the ugliest mo' fo's I've ever seen!

JBX9001 said:
Baby Luigi said:

In the "LOOK AT IT!" thread, I recently posted an image of Catbat, one of the bosses from that game; it's not just weird, it's one of the ugliest mo' fo's I've ever seen!
It's nothing compared to Valentina.

JBX9001 said:
Magikrazy said:
The Space Pigs from Mario Land 2 that also appeared in Mario Zone.

Are you referring to the boss[es] in Mario Zone? I think they were also called The Three Little Pigheads; their battle is a reference to that folk tale I believe... But yeah, weird enemies indeed, like that giant rat Ricky in the Macro Zone.
It's actually just called Sewer Rat. See here. (Sewer Rat)

Mario Party Σ said:
It's nothing compared to Valentina.

All I'll say is, Booster has strange taste (though he did want to marry Peach initially); but even then in the ending he ran away. Guess he figured out what he'd be in for if he married Valentina.

Lumastar said:
It's actually just called Sewer Rat. See here. (Sewer Rat)

Ah, the article's been updated since the last time I read it... Though I see Ricky is it's Japanese name. I like that name better, because, well, it's a boss (though Sewer Rat would be fitting as a name if it were just a regular enemy).

iirc somebody found official english names for sml2 enemies a while ago

before that all articles were just referring to their japanese names, because only those and the german names were official

Back