post any random Mario thought on your mind

Baby Luigi said:
a potato-like gameplay video of Mario Kart 8
I am unfamiliar with this descriptor. :koopa:

But yeah. It also doesn't help that many voice clips seem to just be recycled and amplified.

I took it from the saying of taking screenshots with a potato, meaning a crappy camera of some sort.

The 2016 Gaming Guinness Records flopped into my bag while I was shopping, so I've been leafing through it for any Mario information. However, there's one piece of trivia that I find really odd:

Over the course of his career, Mario has faced off with 1,925 different types of enemies and 588 bosses.

I am seriously wondering how they came to this number, because the wiki only has 941 enemies (Category:Enemies) and 307 bosses (Category:Bosses) in their respective categories. It's nothing much to worry about, the book isn't officially licensed by Nintendo or anything, but I'm wondering if anyone's willing to take a stab at how this number came to be.

edit: Also, can anyone confirm if New Super Luigi U is the "first platformer in the Mario series not to feature Mario"? There's Mario is Missing, sure, but that's not a platformer.

Maybe they're counting full-on recolors like Koopa Troopa and Paratroopas and stuff. They may have counted enemies with drastic differences as different enemies, like the Bullet Bill in Super Mario Galaxy or the different sentry beams in Super Mario Galaxy.

Not sure about bosses, lol.

Time Turner said:
edit: Also, can anyone confirm if New Super Luigi U is the "first platformer in the Mario series not to feature Mario"? There's Mario is Missing, sure, but that's not a platformer.
Mario is also featured. In the other hand, Mario himself isn't there at all in New Super Luigi U.

Striker Mario said:
Maybe they're counting full-on recolors like Koopa Troopa and Paratroopas and stuff. They may have counted enemies with drastic differences as different enemies, like the Bullet Bill in Super Mario Galaxy or the different sentry beams in Super Mario Galaxy.

I've always considered the Bloopers, Bills, and Bob-ombs in Super Mario Sunshine to be different subspecies from the traditional breeds, just because of the drastic differences you mentioned.

As for the boss, maybe it just depends on what/who they considered to be a boss.

I know that the Zelda series has mid-bosses and major bosses. However, the Mario series doesn't exactly have what you'd call mid-bosses, since defeating a boss in the Mario series typically results in the completion of a course.

It's just bothering me because a lot of the "records" were obviously lifted wholesale from various places (and I certainly don't doubt that this wiki and others like it were valuable "sources"), so if they did completely ignore the numbers that already existed in favour of something they researched on their own, I'd find it odd.

(this book has stuff like "first stealth game to use the fox engine", "first interactive digital graphic novel for the playstation portable", "most appearances by a basketball player on a videogame cover", "most dangerous armchair in a game" and so many more ridiculously specific "records"; they don't strike me as the kind of people to count all of the enemies on their own)

Time Turner said:
The only non-main series platformers I can think of are Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach, both of which have Mario.

There aren't many Mario games without Mario in the first place anyway, so it's probably correct.

My brain went to the first Wario Land title what with it being subtitled "Super Mario Land 3".

But then I remembered he shows up for like 10 seconds at the end.

Playing on custom tracks in Mario Kart Wii online and racing against nothing but Funky Kong on Flame Runner really gets on my nerves.

And people say they miss Mario Kart Wii.

MKWii is still my favorite Mario Kart, but it can still be frustrating and infuriating with how chaotic the items are. Maybe if the thundercloud didn't exist and maybe if the blue shells weren't so frequent, this game would be much better than what it already is.

People in Mario Kart 8 don't remember the bullcrap Mario Kart Wii offered, so they harp on Mario Kart 8's item system to no end and long for Mario Kart Wii's item system or something like that... when it had its own share like those items, including POW Blocks, Mega Mushrooms, and Thunder Clouds.

The standstill mini-turbo was probably the biggest offender for Mario Kart Wii's imbalance, due to the fact that it makes the acceleration stat redundant for the poor accelerating vehicles; higher accelerators don't need it, but their speed stats are slower.

I think that the great cornering capabilities and speed from wheelies of bikes were the biggest problem, hence Funkey Kong + Bowser Bike.

Mario Kart 7 is probably the most balanced Mario Kart. (Aside from the first three, I don't really care about those too much.)

The acceleration tiers still need to go though. I know that Mario Kart 8 did that for the 200cc, but what about the lower engine classes? Not everyone likes the intense speeds that 200cc offers after all.

MnSG said:
The acceleration tiers still need to go though. I know that Mario Kart 8 did that for the 200cc, but what about the lower engine classes? Not everyone likes the intense speeds that 200cc offers after all.
I think the reason the lower engine classes were not patched is that it would have invalidated the preexisting Time Trials' times (remember that in Mario Kart 8 you never return to full speed after a boost, even though firehopping and slides counter this deliberate effect, once I'm back home I can post you the link to the video showing this effect after a mushroom boost, if you want), thus the simplest thing was to leave the lower engine classes unaltered and apply the patches only on 200cc.

Mister Wu said:
I think the reason the lower engine classes were not patched is that it would have invalidated the preexisting Time Trials' times (remember that in Mario Kart 8 you never return to full speed after a boost, even though firehopping and slides counter this deliberate effect, once I'm back home I can post you the link to the video showing this effect after a mushroom boost, if you want), thus the simplest thing was to leave the lower engine classes unaltered and apply the patches only on 200cc.

Let's just hope that the next Mario Kart installment fixes that issue.

Was the site down for anyone else for a good part of today?

Anyway, speaking of custom tracks. Most of them are garbage, lol. Mushroom Peaks might be the worst of them all.

The more I learn about Daisy's image in the JP media and her dialogue in JP-only games the more I like her. She's money-minded and smart. Go Daisy.
Plus, she's the only Mario girl that's had more than one romantic relationship. So amazing.

superlumiella said:
Plus, she's the only Mario girl that's had more than one romantic relationship. So amazing.

What do you mean? As far as I know, her sole romantic relationship is with Luigi.

Cirdec said:
superlumiella said:

What do you mean? As far as I know, her sole romantic relationship is with Luigi.

have you forgotten about super mario land?

i mean, everyone has, but still

Cirdec said:
superlumiella said:

Mario and Daisy showed romantic feelings for each other in the SML ending. Also, their tag team name "Nice Couple" in Mario Party references that

superlumiella said:
Cirdec said:
superlumiella said:

Mario and Daisy showed romantic feelings for each other in the SML ending. Also, their tag team name "Nice Couple" in Mario Party references that

Ah you mean that, ok. I also like Mario & Daisy.

Back