Your accent (NY Times Map)

I got a lot of dark blue maps, I think the woodlouse question was one of them.

http://nyti.ms/1E684Vc

i never realised we had such distinctive accents

xcNJI6q.png

I'm german and appearently I speak californian english (cities were all three in western california).

Just retook it because it gave me different questions; got Buffalo, Rochester, and Aurora (IL) which is accurate since I lived around the latter two and also in Illinois for a brief while (although not in Chicago)

Glendale, Long Beach, and Corona

which were all apparently determined because i say firefly

gGYk6V7.png

Buffalo and Rochester, wat a surprise. Also Salt Lake City.

San Jose, Reno and Honolulu

no thoughts on this tbh, but I'm definitely from the west coast according to this

Walkazo said:
They're actually isopods, not insects (too many legs); they're technically woodlice, but I call them pill-bugs. They're soooo cute.
Mostly everyone I know refers to them as Roly Polys, unless that's not the name you were thinking of.

I like more bugs than I hate. It's really only stinging/biting stuff and the creepy things in my house I dislike.

YoshiGo99 said:
Walkazo said:
They're actually isopods, not insects (too many legs); they're technically woodlice, but I call them pill-bugs. They're soooo cute.
Mostly everyone I know refers to them as Roly Polys, unless that's not the name you were thinking of.
No one I know IRL calls them "roly-polies". I was taught "pill bug" by my parents, but I've also heard them called "sow bugs".

I called them roly polies only when I was a little child and before I read science books about them

I retook it and...
onCr68S.png

Better. One of them is even dead on. Strangely enough all of it was determined by the same question. I call something that is across both streets from you at an intersection (or diagonally across from you in general) a kitty-corner.

Maybe we should post responses or a sample of them so we can get an idea of how those regional accents sound like.

But guys, don't be surprised that the U.S. has a lot of accents within itself. I'm aware France has these regional accents, so I'm not surprised that a bigger nation has a lot of different accents, too.

Take germany

some people here sound like they speak dutch while it's really some very odd version of german

basically nobody speaks accent-free german by default except for people from around the area of Hannover.

Back