What products do you think are cash grabby?

What products do you think are the biggest cash grabs?

• The entire frigging EA Sports games. (ie, Madden and FIFA)

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • The Call of Duty series

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven series.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Windows Me (Millennium Edition)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • The entire Skylanders series

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • The Castlevania Lords of Shadow games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Apple products like the iPhone, iPad and iWatch

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Alienware PCs

• Action 52 on NES

• The Mario Party series

• Assassin's Creed series

• Mega Man X6

• Disposable one time use only items.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Sierra's King's Quest, Space Quest and Police Quest series.

• Sega 32X

• Five Nights At Freddy's

• Guitar Hero

• Bioware games like Mass Effect.

• Graphics Cards

• amiibos

• Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

• LJN's movie based games on NES and other systems.

• Xbox Live Membership

• Total voters

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
There are a lot of products out there that are cash grabby. Which of them do you think has to be worse? To me, the EA Sports games, the Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven games, Windows Me, and the Call of Duty games are worse.

Re: Which product do you think is cash grabby?

Amiibos. They're worth what, TWELVE DOLLARS? It's not much, sure, but amiibos are pretty much useless except in a few games.

And although I haven't played it, I've heard some pretty bad things about Pokemon Shuffle.

Jack Frost said:
Amiibos. They're worth what, TWELVE DOLLARS? It's not much, sure, but amiibos are pretty much useless except in a few games.
they're also entirely optional

Jack Frost said:

And although I haven't played it, I've heard some pretty bad things about Pokemon Shuffle.
Just disagreeing with what you said, but they qualify as merchandise and some figures go well over twelve dollars. Actually, twelve dollars isn't that bad for an electronic figure toy thing, but it could be $9-10 instead. Besides, nerds and kids love figures, and if the supply wasn't so freaking horrible, nerds love them a Ness figure for once.

And yeah, Pokemon Shuffle is bad.

I voted Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and anything made by EA or Activision nowadays) because it's a disgrace to the Nintendo-made Mario platformers. I didn't say to the Mario series because we still have Super Hornio Brothers, that film, Hotel Mario, Mario is Missing, and Mario edutainment games (excluding Mario's FUNdamentals).

Windows Millennium Edition was a soulless cash grab because it was just Windows 98 rebarfed right back at people for another few bucks but with real mode DOS removed and having the first versions of Windows Movie Maker and System Restore.

The Ultimate Pwwnd123 said:
Windows Millennium Edition was a soulless cash grab because it was just Windows 98 rebarfed right back at people for another few bucks but with real mode DOS removed and having the first versions of Windows Movie Maker and System Restore.
I don't hear it as much as the flack Vista got.

I added NSMB. 2 which is also a cash grab. Who knows, it might be far worse than SMG2 or Windows Me.

I added NSMB. 2 which is also a cash grab. Who knows, it might be far worse than SMG2 or Windows Me.
I think Galaxy 2 surpasses it because at least New Super Mario Bros. 2 tried to stand out.

Mario Party X said:
I think Galaxy 2 surpasses it because at least New Super Mario Bros. 2 tried to stand out.
NSMB.2. still doesn't stand out. The game doesn't offer much and the entire premise is just lame and boring. I'd say it's far worse than the Street Fighter games by Capcom.

iphones and probably a lot of mp3 players.

Some are useful but there are upgrades that dont really do a whole lot other than to get money.

>Super Mario Galaxy 2 with more votes than NSMB 2

Seriously? Galaxy 2 was a hyped-up epic sequel to one of the greatest games of all time.

NSMB 2 was a bland rehash of an already "meh" series of games.

because he added nsmb2 later and didnt offer the option to change your vote

Fawful said:
Seriously? Galaxy 2 was a hyped-up epic sequel to one of the greatest games of all time.

Galaxy 2 is a contender on a Top Ten Most Disappointing Mario games list imo. The top contender.

By the way, the most money extracting game i have heard of?

Either that Dungeon Keeper game or whatever EA published with microtransactions everywhere or Star Trek: Trexels. Or maybe Final Fantasy: All the Bravest.

Mario Party X said:
NSMB.2. still doesn't stand out. The game doesn't offer much and the entire premise is just lame and boring. I'd say it's far worse than the Street Fighter games by Capcom.
Mario Party X said:

Fawful said:

I think Galaxy 2 is a despicable atrocity in disguise that has every element of a thinly-veiled rehash that is well-received only because it shamelessly coattails on the success of its predecessor. I can provide examples because it's pretty dang blatant. That it somehow escapes the same amount of criticism Call of Duty, EA games, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Warriors games get on a regular basis even though those games do provide the same amount of new content (new items, new levels, new characters, new modes), just amplifies my ire.

Freaking Mario Party had more innovation than this money-printing abomination.

Galaxy 2 is NOT a bad game. There is a difference between it being unoriginal and bad. If it didn't play as well as Galaxy, I could understand. But a n00b to the series, without any bias, could probably enjoy Galaxy 2 as much as Galaxy.

well i hated smg and smg2 looks way worse

so yeah

Jack Frost said:
Galaxy 2 is NOT a bad game. There is a difference between it being unoriginal and bad. If it didn't play as well as Galaxy, I could understand. But a n00b to the series, without any bias, could probably enjoy Galaxy 2 as much as Galaxy.
I didn't say it was a bad game. It's just so painfully unoriginal that it's pathetic. It's okay if you like Galaxy 2, but it has to be criticized for a lack of originality or improvements aside from co-op mode.

Galaxy 2 freaking started as a "Galaxy 1.5" and it ended up as souped-up overpriced DLC sold as a separate game.

Mario Party X said:
Jack Frost said:
I didn't say it was a bad game. It's just so painfully unoriginal that it's pathetic. It's okay if you like Galaxy 2, but it has to be criticized for a lack of originality or improvements aside from co-op mode.
Ah.

Jack Frost said:

That's why I called it "disappointing" instead of "bad"

It's nowhere near as horrible as, say....I can't really think of a truly awful Mario game aside from the CD-i ones, and Mario is Missing.

Mario Party X said:
Mario Party X said:
Mario Party X said:

Fawful said:

I think Galaxy 2 is a despicable atrocity in disguise that has every element of a thinly-veiled rehash that is well-received only because it shamelessly coattails on the success of its predecessor. I can provide examples because it's pretty dang blatant. That it somehow escapes the same amount of criticism Call of Duty, EA games, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Warriors games get on a regular basis even though those games do provide the same amount of new content (new items, new levels, new characters, new modes), just amplifies my ire.

Freaking Mario Party had more innovation than this money-printing abomination.

Well, if you want to see something even more worse than that, then look no further than Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven games on Sony's so called
ps2_logo.gif
and PC. It's even more of a spectacular mess especially on the
ps2_logo.gif
when you think PS2 wise. There are so many Pro Evolution Soccer games on PS2 and there are 14 of them and that's because of the long life the PS2 had. Even worse are the King's Quest and Sierra's other Quest games on MS-DOS and Windows 95/98.

I'm pretty sure the Metroidvania (that's the term given to Castlevania games that play like Symphony of The Night which was said to play like a Metroid game) games on the GBA and DS are better. Sure they may all share the same gameplay borrowed from Symphony of The Night but at least each of them has a new plot in the timeline and a new set of characters.

I, for one thing enjoyed Galaxy 2 and I enjoyed on the same level as Castlevania: Lament of Innocence and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness on PlayStation 2. Lament of Innocence has to be one of the most enjoyable games ever made on a console and most enjoyable out of some of the games I've played. Curse of Darkness runs on modified version of Lament of Innocence's engine. Curse of Darkness differs from Lament in the fact that it plays sorta more in the way of the Metroidvania games with the level up thing.

Various Windows versions really not offer what an OS update should, like core program management changes/upgrades. I´ve heard the last one with that was Win7.

Galaxy 2 in my book will never be a soulless cash grab. It will always remain one of gaming's number one magnum opuses. It is not a soulless cash grab of a magnum opus. It's a giant magnum opus which isn't a 60 dollar barf fest. It's a great magnum opus that could've ever existed.

Galaxy 2 in my book will never be a soulless cash grab. It will always remain one of gaming's number one magnum opuses. It is not a soulless cash grab of a magnum opus. It's a giant magnum opus which isn't a 60 dollar barf fest. It's a great magnum opus that could've ever existed.
I love bagels. They are so delicious and that is why I love them. Bagels are not nasty. They are delicious. I love to eat them. Did I mention that I love bagels?

Back