Are you ready for the bear and the bird? (AKA new Banjo & Kazooie)

Cirdec said:
Mario Party X said:
Cirdec said:
Nintendo got rid of Rare because their games were too similars with Nintendo games and they lacked creativity.
Banjo, Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64 are quite similar.
Rare doesn't make only 3D platformers you know?

That's not my opinion, Nintendo really thought that and got rid of Rare for that reason.

Can you prove that? Because that's the first time I've ever heard of something like that.

Mcmadness said:
I think it was the best choice considering what happened to the company overtime.
It was evident before they joined Microsoft if Banjo Pilot is any indication.

Mcmadness said:
I think it was the best choice considering what happened to the company overtime.
If you're talking about hindsight, then I think what happened to the company overtime was BECAUSE of the buyout.

EDO said:
Cirdec said:
Mario Party X said:
Cirdec said:
Nintendo got rid of Rare because their games were too similars with Nintendo games and they lacked creativity.
Banjo, Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64 are quite similar.
Rare doesn't make only 3D platformers you know?

That's not my opinion, Nintendo really thought that and got rid of Rare for that reason.

Can you prove that? Because that's the first time I've ever heard of something like that.
Per. Hence why I'm hugely skeptical of this "reasoning" and it could be some spread rumor or something that got warped beyond the original meaning.

No, not hindsight. I think things like the DK64 expansion pack and the failure of other titles like Jet Force Gemini and Conker as well as mediocre titles like star fox adventures it was the right move for them to be sold off.

After that Rare was a shell of their former selves and made a lot of not very good games.

Mcmadness said:
as well as mediocre titles like star fox adventures

Adventures sold well and was critically well-received.

Magikrazy said:
Mcmadness said:
It was evident before they joined Microsoft if Banjo Pilot is any indication.

It's popular to claim all talents left Rare even before the buyout, but that's really just revisionism. The FPS guys did leave around the turn of the millenium, but that was a small number of people and Rare still employed plenty of developers who had a hand in their most popular games (ctrl+F NOTE: In the pictures below, we only included RARE staff). If you read interviews with Rare alumnis like Chris Seavor, it's very obvious Microsoft's mismanagement of the studio was what caused Rare to hemoragee talent hardcore.

Maybe by critics but plenty of fans hated it. It really was nothing more than a mediocre Zelda clone.

I think Adventures is a shitty game too, but the deal is, you said the game was "proof" not in hindsight it was a good move to sell Rare, when if anything, it's the opposite. The game was a net positive for Nintendo: It gave them moola, good press, and a much-needed technical showcase for their new hardware.

Mcmadness said:
Maybe by critics but plenty of fans hated it. It really was nothing more than a mediocre Zelda clone.
I find that kind of a dumb reason to shit on the game. As long as the gameplay is good isn't it all that matters?

Mcmadness said:
No, not hindsight. I think things like the DK64 expansion pack and the failure of other titles like Jet Force Gemini and Conker as well as mediocre titles like star fox adventures it was the right move for them to be sold off.

After that Rare was a shell of their former selves and made a lot of not very good games.
I think it's just cherry-picking or a small bad streak. And besides, Conker, when it became a surprisingly mature title, is one of those types of games that didn't sell well because of how late it was to the N64 life time (and perhaps its theme).

supermariofan said:
Mcmadness said:
I find that kind of a dumb reason to *bleep* on the game. As long as the gameplay is good isn't it all that matters?
There is more to a game than gameplay, and besides, the gameplay isn't THAT great from what I can discern.

Glowsquid said:
It's popular to claim all talents left Rare even before the buyout, but that's really just revisionism. The FPS guys did leave around the turn of the millenium, but that was a small number of people and Rare still employed plenty of developers who had a hand in their most popular games (ctrl+F NOTE: In the pictures below, we only included RARE staff). If you read interviews with Rare alumnis like Chris Seavor, it's very obvious Microsoft's mismanagement of the studio was what caused Rare to hemoragee talent hardcore.
So I guess I was right.

supermariofan said:
Mcmadness said:
I find that kind of a dumb reason to shit on the game. As long as the gameplay is good isn't it all that matters?
It needs to be the right game. That's why I hated Sonic Unleashed. If I wanted to play God of War, I would play God of War.

The way I heard it is that, when the buyout happened, Rareware was given the opportunity to decide on a potential buyer for their stock. Because of their former history with Nintendo, and because Nintendo already owned like a 49% share of Rareware, they were approached first. But at that point the relationship between Nintendo and Rareware had grown kind of sour, due to the clash between their Conker title and Nintendo's design philosophy, the same title not selling very well (which is understandable because Nintendo was deathly afraid of advertising it), and probably most importantly because Rareware was struggling with deadlines at that point, with their titles being massively delayed.

AFAIK, Nintendo took a good look at the situation, realized that one of the other potential buyers was Microsoft, a company with massive resources, and decided that buying Rareware would be wayyy more trouble than a struggling developer with a poor deadline record was worth. So Nintendo gave up their 49% share and Rareware went to another buyer. At first that was supposed to be Activision, but then they bailed and Microsoft took a hold of the company.

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but it makes way more sense than "Your games are in the same genre as ours, you're fired!"

its gonna be awful whatever that is, it has kinect controls, and if Im correct, its not even made by rare, its by a fan

what is cool though: playtonic

and steam's clive

Back