Super Mario land 1 and 2 feel like such anomalies.

I actually would like to see Tatanga come back as maybe a minor villain. Revamped to be more menacing, of course. I think it would be cool to see what Nintendo does to him. That, and I have a thing for old characters coming back into the series.

And it'd be cool to explore Sarasaland. I'd like to see Daisy's home kingdom more.

Turret said:
I actually would like to see Tatanga come back as maybe a minor villain. Revamped to be more menacing, of course. I think it would be cool to see what Nintendo does to him. That, and I have a thing for old characters coming back into the series.

And it'd be cool to explore Sarasaland. I'd like to see Daisy's home kingdom more.
Same here.
They could had made a Luigi game like that or something.

I've thought about it, I'd probably be more lenient with Tatanga if his boss fight didn't suck so much.

A Yoshi Fan said:
They would make a new Super Mario Land game, if Nintendo ran out of ideas and on the edge of their financial doom.
that doesn't make any sense

like what, hypothetically, would prevent them from making a new super mario land game as a launch title for their next handheld or something?

Nintendo isn't going to run out of ideas. Even if they do, they won't go into "financial doom" for decades.

A Yoshi Fan said:
They would make a new Super Mario Land game, if Nintendo ran out of ideas
So that means we're due for a new SML game now then, since they clearly have already resorted to milking and rehashing the New Super Mario Bros. story and art style in literally everything.

Wittgenstein said:
A Yoshi Fan said:
They would make a new Super Mario Land game, if Nintendo ran out of ideas
So that means we're due for a new SML game now then, since they clearly have already resorted to milking and rehashing the New Super Mario Bros. story and art style in literally everything.

NSMB doesn't have its own specific art style. Its the basic look of the series so obviously a lot of things are going to resemble it. Thats not something that can be ''milked'' or ''rehashed.''

Tell me, what games before NSMB had that art style? Each game seemed to use its own textures and overall style. I dare you to say Sunshine was composed of green-striped grasslands, spotted hills, generic gray castles, yellow deserts, generic ice worlds, gray mountains, etc. Yeah they had grasslands, deserts etc in the old games but they didn't have nearly the same textures every game.

As for story, that story isn't something that since NSMB every spinoff has that story.

It's been the story for almost every Super Mario game since 1985 and you're just mad that Bowser kidnapped Peach in one spinoff.

Wittgenstein said:
Tell me, what games before NSMB had that art style? Each game seemed to use its own textures and overall style. I dare you to say Sunshine was composed of green-striped grasslands, spotted hills, generic gray castles, yellow deserts, generic ice worlds, gray mountains, etc. Yeah they had grasslands, deserts etc in the old games but they didn't have nearly the same textures every game.

Textures alone are NOT an indicator of artstyle.

Wittgenstein said:

Genius. The NSMB look is just the regular Mario look updated for a more modern appearance. The only reason its more consistent nowadays is because gaming technology was constantly going through major changes back then forcing things to look different as a result. Just look up old artwork for the older games and then compare it to their modern appearance. Its really not that different.

I originally thought that too, but then it stayed well past its prime. Look at Peach's Castle. It no longer has that nostalgic design from Mario 64, instead designed to look like a background element. I shudder to think of what they'd do in the case of a Super Mario 64 HD. Probably make it more like NEW Super Mario 64 *shudders*

Wittgenstein said:
I originally thought that too, but then it stayed well past its prime. Look at Peach's Castle. It no longer has that nostalgic design from Mario 64, instead designed to look like a background element. I shudder to think of what they'd do in the case of a Super Mario 64 HD. Probably make it more like NEW Super Mario 64 *shudders*

Wittgenstein said:
Explain?

What's there to get? Mario games used to be more versatile with their appearance, but now they just milk the same thing over and over.

Let's get back on topic shall we? From videos I've seen of the Tatanga boss fight, it looks like hell to beat.

Mario Party X said:
Wittgenstein said:
Explain?
I mean it's no longer designed to be explored.

Wittgenstein said:
What's there to get? Mario games used to be more versatile with their appearance, but now they just milk the same thing over and over.

Brick wall.

Wittgenstein said:
Mario Party X said:
Wittgenstein said:
Explain?
I mean it's no longer designed to be explored.
But the aesthetic design is still the same. I don't see why 2D platformers should include the interior or exterior of Peach's Castle as a level. There isn't much to work from since it's not, well... a threatening place (by itself).

Also the fight with Tatanga really isn't all that difficult. Really its over in about 15 seconds. What bugs me about it is that its a schmup level and lacks any kind of finality.

Such a shame Nintendo never did anything for Super Mario Land's 25th Anniversary. It being the first handheld Mario game is worth some celebration.

Mcmadness said:
Also the fight with Tatanga really isn't all that difficult. Really its over in about 15 seconds. What bugs me about it is that its a schmup level and lacks any kind of finality.
I wasn't able to beat him.
How is it done?

Magikrazy said:
Hope they have something for Waluigi's 15th anniversary.
Nope.

Back