Sega lays off 300 people, is focusing on mobile and PC gaming now

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
ohgodeverythingisawful

sega shut down its san francisco office and now they're going to focus on digital downloads of mobile and pc games

i feel like there's been some disturbance in the force

Sega is investing in resort business?

Making games that are sub par, uninteresting which fail to sell is to blame. What they need is to get developers who could create something to will gain anticipation because of that, receive great reception. Alien: Isolation is a step in the right direction but they need to produce something that would be up there with games like GTA V and The Last of Us. A new IP from them woulld help.

Another thing they need to do is to stop taking really unnecessary risks with their main IP, Sonic and finally put a stop to the inconsistent quality of his games. SEGA are taking Sonic in a poor direction with Lost World and Boom. I thought Sonic had become good again after Colors and Generations why did they have to fuck it up. Just when you thought they have finally created a modern formula and style of gameplay for their games they had to throw it out of the window with Lost World. How the hell did they let Boom release in the quality it was in as well. SEGA and Sonic Team have to do a lot to put Sonic back on track. In all honestly the series needs at least five years without any games for people to recover and then reboot it and make it look like the definitive game in the series. It's the only to have get people to have faith in the blue blur again. (and don't do it like '06 did it)

If SEGA do these two things, then the company will be back on the map again and recover from the layoffs. Sadly I don't think they will, I still think they will milk sonic with games the fans didn't ask for and put out other games without catching people's eye. Deciding to go into the mobile industry is a sign of giving up. I so hope SEGA don't focus on cheap PC and mobile games and instead attempt to revive themselves but unfortunately it's looking like they will.

So when they say that Sega's focusing on mobile and PC games now, does that mean that they're not ever going to make any console games in the near future or just going to put in even less effort than before?

I guess this means I'll probably never have a reason to fork out money for an Xbox One or PS4 like I did in 2011 because PCs that could play Sonic Generations decently back then were far more expensive.

SKmarioman said:
So when they say that Sega's focusing on mobile and PC games now, does that mean that they're not ever going to make any console games in the near future or just going to put in even less effort than before?

I guess this means I'll probably never have a reason to fork out money for an Xbox One or PS4 like I did in 2011 because PCs that could play Sonic Generations decently back then were far more expensive.
Depends what kind of PC you're talking about. I laid ~$700 for a DIY top-notch gaming quality PC.

why isnt sega bankrupt yet

they shouldve went down together with the dreamcast

like seriously I cannot name one game that was above-average which was made (not published) by Sega since 2002

Megamario15 said:
GalacticPetey said:
As long as Sonic continues to show up in Smash, I'm fine.
I couldn't care less about Sonic in Smash.

If he does, his moves would not be changed, and neither would his voice clips.

His voice clips in Smash 4 did change from Brawl's

And for the record, Sonic also fights alot better in Smash 4 as well. I'm not saying he's the best fighter, but he's still dangerous in the right hands to nearly every character.

I'm also not too worried about Sonic anyway. It's too much of an assumption to say stuff like the Olympics series is over. Sega's just going to be a little more careful with Sonic and avoid exclusive deals more often. Quite frankly even as a Sonic fan he could use a break between new main games (The last main game was Sonic Lost World, Rise of Lyric & Shattered Crystal were spin-offs and it's not even made by the same team as the previous main entries.)

I definitely think Sonic fans will get word of something for the 25th anniversary of Sonic in 2016. As for the good (Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Generations) and for the bad (Sonic 06), Sega really likes to honor Sonic with a new big game every 5 years

President Madagascar said:
like seriously I cannot name one game that was above-average which was made (not published) by Sega since 2002

Gunvalkyrie

Panzer Dragoon orta

Virtua Cop 3

Outrun 2

Valkyria Chronicles

After Burner Climax

Virtua Fighter 5

Whenever I see "Sega hasn't made a good gaem since they went third party", I figure the person might as well say "I can't name a Sega gaem that's not Sonic" because that's what it comes down to 99% of the time.

Glowsquid said:

Gunvalkyrie

Panzer Dragoon orta

Virtua Cop 3

Outrun 2

Valkyria Chronicles

After Burner Climax

Virtua Fighter 5

Whenever I see "Sega hasn't made a good gaem since they went third party", I figure the person might as well say "I can't name a Sega gaem that's not Sonic" because that's what it comes down to 99% of the time.

hell even more then that really, even phantasy star universe and co are pretty good, and some others.

But the ignorant will remain ignorant.

Between this and Atari's bankruptcy, I am surprised and relieved that Nintendo is doing as good as it is.

The real atari is dead since 2003. The american division of the current Atari (the former GT Interactive) is actually quite healthy and only declared chapter 11 bankrupticity to get away from the underperforming European division (formerly Infogrames).

Glowsquid said:

Gunvalkyrie

Panzer Dragoon orta

Virtua Cop 3

Outrun 2

Valkyria Chronicles

After Burner Climax

Virtua Fighter 5

And people were saying that Mario was hogging all the spotlight. ;P

Sega seems to put marketing focus on the crappy games, you'll have to give them that.

it's because sonic sells

Back