Same sex marriage

im talking about marriages and same sex stuff for a church, not in general, but yeah i guess you make good points.

Honestly expected this to go far worse. thanks for the insight.

sweepfeet.png

Baby Luigi said:
Private religious churches can probably still be able to reject marriage as they always have the ability but gay couples can still get legally married someplace else.
Although this isn't an inherent religious issue, I thought even private institutions can't fully operate without a mind on federal law. Private employers can be sued for refusing to employ someone on the basis of race or sex, if I recall correctly.

I can't say how strongly religious people believe on that matter since I'm not religious (demonstrated by that tirade I had a while back in this thread), and I hope it doesn't bother them that much. Or, they can eventually get used to it. But we've seen advancements that sort of questioned religious views ever since the Enlightenment.

the onion wrote quite a few good articles on this

i'm very happy with the court's ruling though with the way the media has been partying you'd think discrimination has been completely destroyed. we've still got a long way to go

also i tried reading what scalia wrote but it seems to be mostly nonsense to me?? is he saying that it's not the court's right to decide social reforms? did he ever hear of the 50s and 60s?

Nabber said:
also i tried reading what scalia wrote but it seems to be mostly nonsense to me?? is he saying that it's not the court's right to decide social reforms? did he ever hear of the 50s and 60s?
if scalia had been on the court in the 50s and 60s he would probably have said the same thing, and voted against the decisions of the era
Mario Party Σ said:
I can't say how strongly religious people believe on that matter since I'm not religious (demonstrated by that tirade I had a while back in this thread), and I hope it doesn't bother them that much. Or, they can eventually get used to it. But we've seen advancements that sort of questioned religious views ever since the Enlightenment.
most churches are going to be unhappy about the government supporting same-sex marriage, but as long as the government isn't actively forcing pastors to marry same-sex couples i don't think we'll see any real problems

I know I'm probably going to be the only one who says this and I'm probably going to get a lot of hate, but am I the only one who doesn't agree with this? Yes, I am a christian and no, I do not hate homosexuals. I believe in traditional marriage but at the same time, I don't wish any wrong to any homosexuals. To me, they are sinners just like me and all of the rest of the world and all of of us deserve to die in hell but then Jesus came to give us another chance. Is it bad to have this opinion?

Koopa Kid said:
I know I'm probably going to be the only one who says this and I'm probably going to get a lot of hate, but am I the only one who doesn't agree with this? Yes, I am a christian and no, I do not hate homosexuals. I believe in traditional marriage but at the same time, I don't wish any wrong to any homosexuals. To me, they are sinners just like me and all of the rest of the world and all of of us deserve to die in hell but then Jesus came to give us another chance. Is it bad to have this opinion?
Hey, I think we found the homophobe

Haruichi Kominato said:
Koopa Kid said:
Hey, I think we found the homophobe
Not true. I don't have any prejudice towards anyone. In fact, the whole religion of Christianity is not supposed to have any prejudice towards anyone. If you look at Jesus's life as a whole, he encountered many people who were hated at the time such as tax collectors, prostitutes, and lepers who were shunned by the religious people at the time. He showed love and care towards all of them, which is what unfortunately what some modern Christians don't do. I'm going to do the same to every person that I meet and to me that is not homophobia, that's love.

So why do you disagree with gay marriage exactly? Traditional marriage will always exist, it's just a little bit different as it is now than it is 100 hundred years ago.

I think that it is not the way god intended marriage to be. He intended it to be one man, one woman for life and that how God designed it in the first place. But however, you can have your own opinion and that's fine. I won't judge.

Marriage isn't exactly a religious institution anymore, tho. It's mandated by the government, gay couples will finally get governmental benefits from it, and you understand that the Establishment Clause separates church and state.

Koopa Kid said:
Yes, I am a christian and no, I do not hate homosexuals. I believe in traditional marriage but at the same time, I don't wish any wrong to any homosexuals.
I just need to point out that secular society (emphasis on secular) views marriage as a basic right nowadays, and barring homosexuals from this basic right due to a trait they have little control over is pretty much harmful for them. Saying that they can just apply for civil unions harkens back to "separate but equal", and we all know how that went. Religion over the course of history had been used as a justification for several violations of human rights, but it has changed also during the years in the face of changing attitudes, so I'm expecting it to change its attitude toward homosexuals one day.

Haruichi Kominato said:
You are still homophobic is you oppose gay marriage no matter how you try to sugarcoat it bro
200_s.gif

he wasnt really being homophobic.

If he was he wouldnt accept anyone for being or supporting homosexuality, he just said what he believed and preferred, even said he wouldn't judge.

2257 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Marriage isn't exactly a religious institution anymore, tho.

it never was. marriage existed long before christianity. this is just a lie bigots tell to try and trick you into missing the fact that their argument has no actual substance

Thanks for correcting me.

thats what it looked like to me anyway

a big deal wasnt even made out of it

if people would stop attacking each other though that'd be great.

Can't deny that the term "homophobe" carries its own weight, though. I think it's just better to point out the flaws in his argument rather than using the label.

sure looked like an attack.

but whatever.

Regardless stuff like this is going to happen though, i dont think people should really act like that though, but that's just me.

I may be the only christian that doesnt give a crap about homosexuality and marriage, but i still want to hear both sides without some sort passive aggressive action.

I just hope this whole same sex marriage scenario doesnt end up like typical religious arguments.

also it loosk like im just making accusations but im more referring outside of lilly. :P

eh not really a problem anymore, just saying what i think.

Well either way it doesn't matter what anyone thinks or whatever religious excuse you can come up with to mask your bigotry because it's been made legal and there's no changing it :birdo: :blooper: :bowser: It's just "marriage" now.

i keep hearing that some states are considering outright banning marriage because of this like ummm what

Back