What is your preferred board design in Mario Party

How do you think the boards should be designed in a Mario Party game

• Classic 20 coins = star (MP's 1-5)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • More varied boards that have different objectives but same core gameplay (MP's 6-8, DS, IT)

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • The Car (MP's 9-10)

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

NSY

Celestial Guide
Mario Party has changed quite a bit in it's board design. How do you think the boards should be designed in a Mario Party game.

The second one so it isn't too different, but makes it less boring.

More varied boards like what Mario Party 6-DS did. Hell, the fixed star location like in Faire Square added an extra layer of strategy and removed the random appearing 20 coin stars.

I liked varied boards. Especially in Mario Party 7 with Neon Heights, you get the chest and it's Star or no Star. Some Boards from MP9 I did like such as Magma Mine but I wasn't to happy with the game overall.

The random and varied boards. I like the classic method, but it's fun to mix things up sometimes. A good idea in the future Mario Party installments is to include an "omega" version of the board, where the objective is exactly like the N64 games.

I like varied boards although I'm not a fan of fix star location boards. The problem with those are that the person with the highest dice rolls will always win. Boards were you steal stars are also interesting since you have to not only gain stars but protect yours in a more aggressive way.

Mechayoshi said:
I like varied boards although I'm not a fan of fix star location boards. The problem with those are that the person with the highest dice rolls will always win. Boards were you steal stars are also interesting since you have to not only gain stars but protect yours in a more aggressive way.

not really; in mario party games that have something like pagoda peak, you also need coins to buy good items

Baby Luigi said:
More varied boards like what Mario Party 6-DS did. Hell, the fixed star location like in Faire Square added an extra layer of strategy and removed the random appearing 20 coin stars.

I love Faire Square!

*high fives*

Meta Knight said:
Baby Luigi said:

I love Faire Square!

*high fives*

Yes that's the best Mario Party board period :D

I just liked boards that went in a complete loop (basically everything before Mario Party 9). It was fun taking the different routes and not just on a set path that has point A to Point B (like Mario Party 9 and IT).

Neon Heights from MP7 was my favorite board. I also liked Toadette's Music Room in MPDS.

Lumastar said:
Faire Square is great. It's one of my two favorites from 6, along with Castaway Bay.
I don't remember much about 6 but I remember playing Castaway Bay all the time.

In MP7 I would always prefer controlling 2 people in the 8 player battles, and one of my favorite maps from 7 is the one ironically is Castaway Bay the one where it's the classic formula. Maybe because on the Bowser Time Bowser doesn't fuck with you as much and changes the board instead

Meta Knight said:
In MP7 I would always prefer controlling 2 people in the 8 player battles, and one of my favorite maps from 7 is the one ironically is Castaway Bay the one where it's the classic formula. Maybe because on the Bowser Time Bowser doesn't *bleep* with you as much and changes the board instead
Castaway Bay is from Mario Party 6. That one, it has a Konkey Boat or a Bowser Boat and you're supposed to reach the Konkey Dong to get a Star and avoid Booza

I think you're talking about Grand Canal, the Italy-based one.

Mario Party X said:
Meta Knight said:
In MP7 I would always prefer controlling 2 people in the 8 player battles, and one of my favorite maps from 7 is the one ironically is Castaway Bay the one where it's the classic formula. Maybe because on the Bowser Time Bowser doesn't *bleep* with you as much and changes the board instead
Castaway Bay is from Mario Party 6. That one, it has a Konkey Boat or a Bowser Boat and you're supposed to reach the Konkey Dong to get a Star and avoid Booza

I think you're talking about Grand Canal, the Italy-based one.

My mistake yes that one is what I meant

I like the first design when the boards are focused on creating interesting mechanics that affect how you go about getting the star (MP3 was good at that I believe, Woody Woods and Creepy Cavern in particular) rather than making a single mechanic the means of getting the star.

I don't mind when the 'single mechanic = means of getting star' is done well and still has interesting board mechanics (Peach's Birthday Cake: Single Star Spot w/ Piranha Plants, Clockwork Castle: Chase the Star w/ DK and Bowser swapping + board direction change, etc.).

Back