Nintendo should go back to using a standard controller for their next console...

They're kind of digging themselves in trench with the whole wii remote and gamepad thing.

There next console can absolutely not be backwards compatible with the Wii U or Wii because it's simply not gonna work anymore with all their fancy controllers.

I think it'd be best if they go gamecube style and give us a standard controller for the main controller and find other ways to be innovative with their console.

And they also have to ditch the wii name. Start fresh.

Magikrazy said:
But what about Virtual Console?

How would Skyward Sword work without Wii Remote Plus?
Why would their next platform be backwards compatible with Wii games anyway?

Also I say keep the GamePad. It literally is a standard controller, but with a touch screen. Other than that, it has all the standard buttons of a regular controller. Four face buttons, two analog sticks, d-pad, four shoulder buttons.

I feel like Nintendo is already cemented as the "niche" gaming company, a.k.a. they want to be that company that comes up with interesting new ideas for games and consoles even though they realize that will only attract certain people and repel others.

Since Nintendo has built up this niche fanbase, it seems unreasonable for them to just turn around and go back to "normal" controllers, consoles, etc.

Voltar said:
Since Nintendo has built up this niche fanbase, it seems unreasonable for them to just turn around and go back to "normal" controllers, consoles, etc.
It's not unreasonable if they want to remain relevant as a home console maker.

Birdo said:
Voltar said:
It's not unreasonable if they want to remain relevant as a home console maker.

it is however unlikely

I don't have a problem with the GamePad (off-TV play is a wonderful thing that Nintendo didn't advertise enough), but I like it more when it has at least the option of more functionality than displaying the same thing that's on the TV.

im calling it right here

new wii u with a new controller that resembles a nintendo ds

no wait

IT IS A NINTENDO DS

Mario4Ever said:
I don't have a problem with the GamePad (off-TV play is a wonderful thing that Nintendo didn't advertise enough), but I like it more when it has at least the option of more functionality than displaying the same thing that's on the TV.

this

it's too damn underutilized. i mean yeah you have stuff like mario party coming up but more games need to make better use of it.

New Super Mario said:
They're kind of digging themselves in trench with the whole wii remote and gamepad thing.

There next console can absolutely not be backwards compatible with the Wii U or Wii because it's simply not gonna work anymore with all their fancy controllers.

I think it'd be best if they go gamecube style and give us a standard controller for the main controller and find other ways to be innovative with their console.

Can I ask how they are digging themselves in a ditch, when profits have been in the green for quite awhile now, and actually are increasing their sales greatly.

How do you know if the next console won't work with the Wii/Wii U games? And as been stated, the GamePad is really not that fancy, and hell, as BLOF said, it's been underultized.

I don't know how they can innovate their console physically (outside the screen) without affecting the outlook of the controller, as the design of the console really doesn't do that much.

I just feel like this is a "Wii U sucks, GCN ftw" type post, mostly because you just complained about stuff and suggested they go back to other stuff without providing any reason to back up your statements other than "I rather" or "I think".

Wally said:
Can I ask how they are digging themselves in a ditch, when profits have been in the green for quite awhile now, and actually are increasing their sales greatly.
it's still going to be the worst selling nintendo home system lmao

Wally said:
New Super Mario said:

How do you know if the next console won't work with the Wii/Wii U games? And as been stated, the GamePad is really not that fancy, and hell, as BLOF said, it's been underultized.

I don't know how they can innovate their console physically (outside the screen) without affecting the outlook of the controller, as the design of the console really doesn't do that much.

I just feel like this is a "Wii U sucks, GCN ftw" type post, mostly because you just complained about stuff and suggested they go back to other stuff without providing any reason to back up your statements other than "I rather" or "I think".
For one thing, I love the wii u and the gamepad. I'd love it to return. But they're getting to the point where if they did do backwards comparability with the new console they'd have to return wii remotes AGAIN, which is honestly just too much. People have clearly lost interest in the wii remote. They aren't digging themselves in a ditch financially, just with the amount of controllers they'd have to have. I just think starting with a new controller would give them a fresh start and more third party support for their next console. They just need anew image, quite honestly, because other companies don't seem to take the whole Wii thing seriously.

Wally said:
Birdo said:
Wally said:
it's still going to be the worst selling nintendo home system lmao

I think that's too soon to call.
Too soon to call?

The Wii U is tracking behind the sales of the Dreamcast at this point.

Right now, the Wii U has about 7 million sales.

At this point, the Dreamcast had 10 million sales and was already announced that it was being discontinued around this time.

Wii U is dead sales-wise and the best Nintendo can hope for is to keep making great games for the system that will keep the Nintendo fans happy (and attract some more sales), while at the same time working on a successor console that will attract both Nintendo fans and other consumers as well.

Magikrazy said:
What about Virtual Boy, Aiko?
Virtual Boy wasn't a home system (wasn't really a handheld either, more of a tabletop system) that was only on the market for 6 months in Japan and 8 months in North America and never saw a release outside of those territories and only had 22 games released.

So yeah, it did sell less, but the Virtual Boy wasn't meant to be Nintendo's newest home console, it was a stopgap rushed to release to tide fans over until the N64 could be released.

It was more of a failed experiment than an actual attempt at making a new system.

I always thought they wanted to sell it as a Gameboy successor because that thing was dead in '95

...well that was before pokémon, obviously

Back