Nintendo should go back to using a standard controller for their next console...

Freakworld said:
I always thought they wanted to sell it as a Gameboy successor because that thing was dead in '95

...well that was before pokémon, obviously
Nintendo has confirmed that the VB was never meant to replace the Game Boy because it wasn't portable.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Nintendo has confirmed that the VB was never meant to replace the Game Boy because it wasn't portable.

Strange because the name implies that, at least to me.

Freakworld said:
Aiko Heiwa said:

Strange because the name implies that, at least to me.
Same person developed both the GB and the VB, name legacy, you know.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Wally said:
Birdo said:
Wally said:
Can I ask how they are digging themselves in a ditch, when profits have been in the green for quite awhile now, and actually are increasing their sales greatly.
it's still going to be the worst selling nintendo home system lmao

I think that's too soon to call.
Too soon to call?

The Wii U is tracking behind the sales of the Dreamcast at this point.

Right now, the Wii U has about 7 million sales.

At this point, the Dreamcast had 10 million sales and was already announced that it was being discontinued around this time.

Wii U is dead sales-wise and the best Nintendo can hope for is to keep making great games for the system that will keep the Nintendo fans happy (and attract some more sales), while at the same time working on a successor console that will attract both Nintendo fans and other consumers as well.

The Gamecube had only sold around 21 million copies within the 5 1/2 years before the Wii came out. While the Wii U is just a little over the 2 years it's been out, it has increased it's sales greatly within that time, and has really been picking up momentum. In just 1 year the Wii U had nearly doubled from 3.9 to 7.3 sales, and we still don't even know the exact sales over the holidays, except that the Wii U has currently sold more consoles than the PS4 in Japan. 7.3 (reported in September, so not even at the 2 year point of the system) is about a 1/3 of what the Gamecube sold overall.

If 2015 goes as they plan for it to go, we can continue to see the sales of the Wii U go up, with more and more people getting the system. It could potentially make some major profit for Nintendo and the Wii U, and assuming that they go about 5-6 years for the console (which we know it will be at least 4 since 2015 will be a big year just focused on the Wii U), we will get a lot of time to see a potential profit rise.

So yeah, I disagree with your statement that the Wii U is dead. I mean, it literally has gone from not really selling and being more of a cost than a profit to actually being a profit for Nintendo and now currently holding top spot for home consoles in Japan (I know that PS4 came out a year after Wii U).

Wally said:
now currently holding top spot for home consoles in Japan (I know that PS4 came out a year after Wii U).
Well that doesn't mean jack shit considering that home consoles are all but dead in Japan. Like woohoo, a home console is the top seller in a country where basically everyone is now on mobile or handhelds now.

Shit 2014 was Japan's worst year for sales of home consoles and games for them in like 29 years or some shit.

So happy for the Vita, I just got 64GB memory card imported from Japan and it is worth it

I like the Vita's dpad and button more than PS4 controller but PS4 got better trigger and joystick than the Vita

Aiko Heiwa said:
Wally said:
now currently holding top spot for home consoles in Japan (I know that PS4 came out a year after Wii U).
Well that doesn't mean jack shit considering that home consoles are all but dead in Japan. Like woohoo, a home console is the top seller in a country where basically everyone is now on mobile or handhelds now.

Shit 2014 was Japan's worst year for sales of home consoles and games for them in like 29 years or some shit.

And you think that doesn't say much? Do you not think that the sales of the consoles is not directly affected by smartphone apps just like Japan has showed they have been? Since you compared it to the Dreamcast, which only sold 10 million before being discontinued, and calling this a failure, I don't see what it's excuse was. I mean, the Gamecube sold only about as much as the Dreamcast did in the same amount of time, and yet the Gamecube continued to thrive, and the Gamecube is not considered to be a failure or dead sales wise.

Just because a console is not selling as much as they were thinking doesn't mean that they are dead. Honestly with the Line-up Nintendo is giving, they are showing that they rather strive to make the best of this situation and try to look on the bright side and actually try to change things, which they slowly have been doing.

Wally said:
the Gamecube is not considered to be a failure
i don't know what world you live in but the gamecube was most certainly a failure and anyone that is not a blind nintendo fanboy can admit that

was it profitable? most certainly yes.

did it have great games? yes.

but it was a failure saleswise.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Wally said:
the Gamecube is not considered to be a failure
i don't know what world you live in but the gamecube was most certainly a failure and anyone that is not a blind nintendo fanboy can admit that

was it profitable? most certainly yes.

did it have great games? yes.

but it was a failure saleswise.

I don't think we have the same definition of a failure.

I think a failure would be a console that was cancelled, or made no profits for the company.

You contradict yourself by saying it was a failure sales-wise when you also state that it was profitable. Was it as much as they were hoping? No. Could it have been better? Probably.

But it's not a failure, and I'm sorry that I apparently live in a different world from yours where not beating out the other "competition" is considered a failure.

It's difficult to tell if the Gamecube was actually profitable since Nintendo bundled it with the GBA in its financial reports, like how Sony bundle all its systems in the "Playstation family" to mask underwhelming Vita sales. It didn't hemmorage money like the original Xbox or the Ps3 did ,but that's not saying much. As a publicly-traded company, selling nearly less than half of your previous home system and falling in third place for the first time ever (in face of a newcomer essentially irrelevant in one major market, at that) is really not something you want to happen.

(I also remember reading an article published near the Wii launch where a Nintendo exec stated in no uncertain term they cannot sustain themselves with GC-level sales, but my google-fu is failling me.)

That being said Aiko, would you mind chillin' a bit? Not everybody is a NeoGaf NPD warrior, and you don't need to flip your shit over something so trivial.

Glowsquid said:
It's difficult to tell if the Gamecube was actually profitable since Nintendo bundled it with the GBA in its financial reports, like how Sony bundle all its systems in the "Playstation family" to mask underwhelming Vita sales. It didn't hemmorage money like the original Xbox or the Ps3 did ,but that's not saying much. As a publicly-traded company, selling nearly less than half of your previous home system and falling in third place for the first time ever (in face of a newcomer essentially irrelevant in one major market, at that) is really not something you want to happen.

(I also remember reading an article published near the Wii launch where a Nintendo exec stated in no uncertain term they cannot sustain themselves with GC-level sales, but my google-fu is failling me.)

That being said Aiko, would you mind chillin' a bit? Not everybody is a NeoGaf NPD warrior, and you don't need to flip your shit over something so trivial.

Then again, it was a combination of Nintendo's "kiddy" reputation (which is something I think will never go away tbh) and that the mini-discs didn't have as much memory as a DVD. Nintendo does need more 3rd-party support, which is essentially dead on the Wii U.

Back