A reference to Mario's last name being "Mario" in connection with a game.

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
MarioWiki
SiFi
See the description for Mario Bros. here. This is long past the era of companies like DIC and Valiant making crap up, so I think it's trustworthy in that regard. But otherwise, I'm not sure what to think.

In the early 2000s, Namco made a bunch of three-in-ones cabinet for their very early arcade games. Considering they were collaborating with Nintendo on developing the Triforce arcade board, I don't think it's impossible they could have gotten the license to manufacture a combo DK cabinet.

The game itself has had a page on the wiki for heck knows how long, so I wasn't expecting there to be any doubt that it's official/real.

Glowsquid said:
In the early 2000s, Namco made a bunch of three-in-ones cabinet for their very early arcade games. Considering they were collaborating with Nintendo on developing the Triforce arcade board, I don't think it's impossible they could have gotten the license to manufacture a combo DK cabinet.
Thanks, Squid.

no matter if it's real or not, mario having "mario" as a last name is incredibly stupid

Maybe, but it wouldn't be out of place in a world where characters are given the same name as their species or named after stupid puns.

Lol, true.

Also, in some cultures, you get double names all the time and no one thinks it's silly. I.e. my friend's brother's named "Mustafa Mustafa" since their last name comes from their dad's first name (Habesha naming convention), and then the kid's named after the dad. And the dad was named after his did, and if the kid has kids of his own, he'll probably continue the tradition.

Wasn't Mario's last name being Mario supposed to be a joke? I can't remember where I read that. You won't get any official word from Nintendo since instead of explaining things Nintendo just goes "meh, whatever" now.

SiFi said:
Maybe, but it wouldn't be out of place in a world where characters are given the same name as their species or named after stupid puns.

i guess, but i still prefer the stance that mario has no last name

What if their last name is "Jumpman", with the "man" part pronounced "m'n" like it is with most surnames

What if that one Mario Party was right and Wario and Waluigi's surnames are "Wicked"

Back