why do you think bowser kidnaps peach

Magikrazy said:
if bowser wanted to marry peach wouldnt he actually put some effort into keeping mario out

I would hardly call building dozens of fortresses and airships something minor.

Mcmadness said:
Magikrazy said:
if bowser wanted to marry peach wouldnt he actually put some effort into keeping mario out

I would hardly call building dozens of fortresses and airships something minor.
except he makes them incredibly easy for Mario to traverse

and the minions are incredibly shitty

goombas and green koopas walk off cliffs
boo can only attack mario when his back is turned
bullet bill can be stepped on and taken out
hammer bros need to lob their hammers rather than throwing at Mario
bloopers cant hurt mario if he walks along the floor while small Mario
piranha plants dont pop out if mario is on the pipe
chain chomp is self-explanatory

and so on

Gameplay story segregation

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Because Miyamoto doesn't want any deeper story than that.

And thats a good thing.

Laugh all you want but its the truth.

I think the biggest icon in gaming should put better effort into the games' stories. Would it kill them to mix up the story a bit, like they did in Super Mario Bros 2, Land and the RPGs? (Yes I know Land was just the same thing with different characters, but its better than what we get now)

Mario didn't get where he is by worrying about irrelevant things like plot.

Sorry but the 30 years of excuse plots shows my statement is correct.

And there's a lot of us who are tired of those excuse plots. The only reason Nintendo keeps shelling them out is because anything with the name Mario on it sells like crazy. They could make Super Mario Dating Sim and it would make them lots of cash.

Nintendo just needs to realize there are fans who want Mario games to have decent plots, and start putting as much care into the main series as they do with the RPGs.

Yes because the plot is what brought variety to this series.

I've said it many times now but if you are playing these games and are annoyed over the lack of plot then you are playing the wrong series.

Why do you think I enjoyed the first few Mario platformers I played (World, 64, and Galaxy) more than later ones? Becuase I grew tired of the plot. A few times is fine, but plot is what defines a game for me (I highly doubt I'm the only one). What is the difference between 3D Land and 3D World? Better graphics, more levels, and multiplayer. All of which runs out and gets boring after a while. But a good story is something worth replaying time after time again. That's the reason I continue to play the RPGs more than other games.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Why do you think I enjoyed the first few Mario platformers I played (World, 64, and Galaxy) more than later ones? Becuase I grew tired of the plot. A few times is fine, but plot is what defines a game for me (I highly doubt I'm the only one). What is the difference between 3D Land and 3D World? Better graphics, more levels, and multiplayer. All of which runs out and gets boring after a while. But a good story is something worth replaying time after time again. That's the reason I continue to play the RPGs more than other games.

Further proof that you are playing the wrong series.

DragonFreak said:
Sadly true. Makes most of the games pretty terrible because of it though.

No, it really doesn't.

Not if the plot sucks.

Plus some games just don't work well with a plot.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
A few times is fine, but plot is what defines a game for me (I highly doubt I'm the only one).

Didn't Miyamoto explicitly said no one will enjoy games if they aren't fun to play? You can have the best plot imaginable but if the gameplay is atrocious, you may as well just throw it out.

It's like saying you enjoy playing a particular board game for its back-stories and plots when that's not arguably the most fundamental aspect of gaming.

Hell, I'd argue that sound direction, art design, and graphics are FAR MORE important to a good game than a plot, and that's saying something since, usually, people consider those aforementioned qualities to be simply frosting on a cake.

Take Futurama: The Game.

The story was incredible, almost on par with the show itself.

The gameplay, however, was atrocious.

Thankfully, they later fixed it by cutting and pasting the cutscenes together and making it a bonus episode on one of the DVDs.

I get where you're coming from, ftg. Some plot is better than no plot. But if there were a substantial amount of Mario fans with your mindset, then RPGs would be the best selling sub-series. But it's not, so either people that like a good story aren't Mario fans or the Illuminati is controlling everyone.

DragonFreak said:
Mcmadness said:
DragonFreak said:
Sadly true. Makes most of the games pretty terrible because of it though.
No, it really doesn't.
Games with plot >>>>> Games without plot.

And totally sticking with that for every example because otherwise it will make me seem hypocritical

actually not really

tales of vesperia has one of the worst plots ever, but its still seen as one of the best rpgs in history.

same goes with mother 2

a game doesnt need a plot to be good, this has been proven so many times.

Plus ive NEVER seen a platformer with a good plot, and some of them dont even have plots(metroid series didnt even have a plot until like metroid prime and fusion).

Regardless though id like to see what the mario series could do with a more focused plot.

Although making a fun game with a good plot can be quite difficult.

Back